Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

General sports news and discussions.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2020, 10:29 pm

Sunderland's season is over after League One clubs voted 'by an overwhelming majority' to curtail the 2019-20 campaign with immediate effect.

The Black Cats - who were keen to play on - will be ranked eighth under the unweighted points-per-game model that was incorporated into the EFL regulations at an extraordinary general meeting this morning.

Following the regulation change at the EGM, Leagues One and Two held divisional votes this afternoon to decide whether to complete their fixtures or terminate the season.

League Two voted overwhelmingly in favour of ending their season, and while in League One clubs were divided on the issue, a majority backed curtailing the campaign.

Under the EFL model, Coventry City and Rotherham United will be promoted from League One to the Championship, while Wycombe Wanderers, Oxford United, Portsmouth, and Fleetwood Town, will go into the play-offs.

Bolton Wanderers, Southend United, and Tranmere Rovers will be relegated to League Two.

A statement from the EFL confirmed: "League One clubs have voted by an overwhelming majority to formally end the 2019/20 season.

"As a result, the final league standings have now been confirmed meaning that Coventry City have been confirmed as champions with Rotherham United securing the second automatic promotion place to the Championship.

"Wycombe Wanderers, Oxford United, Portsmouth and Fleetwood Town will contest the Sky Bet Play-Offs with the schedule to be announced in due course, while Tranmere Rovers, Southend United and Bolton Wanderers will start the 2020/21 season in League Two."

The upshot is that means the Wearsiders will spend a third season in League One, with the Covid-19 pandemic scuppering their chances of winning promotion this term.
Sunderland were in seventh place, just three points outside the automatic promotion places, with eight games remaining when the season was suspended on March 13.

But the EFL's preferred formula for a curtailed season meant that eighth-placed Wycombe leapt to third, with Sunderland dropping to eighth as a result.

Eighth place in the third tier represents the Black Cats' lowest ever final league placing, although the fact that the campaign was not completed makes this season's circumstances unique.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 10, 2020, 1:09 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 9, 2020, 4:16 pm
I suspect Leeds attaining any "moral high ground" may take rather a long time bearing in mind their starting position several feet below the surface of the swamp :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW if ya bump into ashley down there can you give him a knee in the gonads for our season ticket holders ..... tankyavellymuch :-k
:D :D :D

Ashley is down here along with Risdale, Bates, Cellino, Reid, Venables & Wise. We deserve something positive after what that sextet did to us.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 12, 2020, 10:45 pm

Fixtures just been announced for TV coverage.

One of the reasons LUFC didn't go up last year was that Sky/EFL switched 3 of our last 4 fixtures (last one was irrelevant) to live coverage after our rivals had played. Given that Sheff U and Norwich were consistently good, we were always playing catch up with the pressure that brings to bear

Astonishingly (deliberately!!), the same has happened again. Hopefully we are too good or the rivals are inferior but, we have a ready made excuse already!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 13, 2020, 8:02 am

samster wrote:
June 12, 2020, 10:45 pm
Fixtures just been announced for TV coverage.

One of the reasons LUFC didn't go up last year was that Sky/EFL switched 3 of our last 4 fixtures (last one was irrelevant) to live coverage after our rivals had played. Given that Sheff U and Norwich were consistently good, we were always playing catch up with the pressure that brings to bear

Astonishingly (deliberately!!), the same has happened again. Hopefully we are too good or the rivals are inferior but, we have a ready made excuse already!!
Dont play well in front of TV cameras ......... just a word of warning if you go up, all 380 Prem games are live on TV :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 17, 2020, 8:24 pm

Eight individuals from six Championship clubs have tested positive for coronavirus in the past week, the English Football League has announced.

The results came from 2,213 tests conducted on players and staff from the 24 second-tier clubs, who will resume the 2019-20 season on Saturday.

Four individuals from two of the quartet of League One clubs preparing to compete in the play-offs tested positive, while there were no positive tests among the four League Two clubs

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 18, 2020, 2:55 pm

Last post in this thread for a while.

So proud of LUFC today. The club, the fans, the management have been incredible. I mentioned it last year but, there are only a handful of clubs left whose fans still engender old style passion and I am delighted that the 2 at the top of that tree, Leeds & Liverpool, have had success this year.

The promotion is all the sweeter because of the actions of the EFL and Sky over the past few years and, also because we will probably lose our club to big business (Qatar) over the next few months.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 18, 2020, 5:06 pm

Congrats to Leeds... welcome back.
You can post in the Premier League thread now without fear of having your posts deleted :lol:
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » July 18, 2020, 8:30 pm

samster wrote:
July 18, 2020, 2:55 pm
Last post in this thread for a while.

So proud of LUFC today. The club, the fans, the management have been incredible. I mentioned it last year but, there are only a handful of clubs left whose fans still engender old style passion and I am delighted that the 2 at the top of that tree, Leeds & Liverpool, have had success this year.

The promotion is all the sweeter because of the actions of the EFL and Sky over the past few years and, also because we will probably lose our club to big business (Qatar) over the next few months.
=D> =D> =D> welcome samster :lol:

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 18, 2020, 8:31 pm

Zidane wrote:
July 18, 2020, 5:06 pm
You can post in the Premier League thread now without fear of having your posts deleted :lol:
Have always had a soft spot for them so many wonderful jocks played for them over the years, tough team in their day to beat here's hoping they do well

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » July 18, 2020, 8:32 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 18, 2020, 8:31 pm
Zidane wrote:
Have always had a soft spot for them so many wonderful jocks played for them over the years, tough team in their day to beat here's hoping they do well
=D> =D> =D>

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 18, 2020, 9:22 pm

Before 747man comments the old Leeds would have kicked Everton off the park

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 18, 2020, 10:13 pm

Zidane wrote:
Unless it's more of that SKY television conspiracy nonsense. Right up there with the dog ate my homework and 747's LiVARpool.

The upside is more bandwidth for Fort William FC.

Result! (home loss by at least 4 goals)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 18, 2020, 10:48 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 18, 2020, 8:31 pm
Zidane wrote:
All Jocks are wonderful aren't they? 'cept maybe Tony Blair?

And Gordon Brown of course.

Then there's Alex Salmond...

Let me get back to you on that, eh?

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » July 18, 2020, 10:59 pm

Not forgetting the krankies?

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 18, 2020, 11:03 pm

tamada wrote:
July 18, 2020, 10:13 pm
Zidane wrote:
Unless it's more of that SKY television conspiracy nonsense. Right up there with the dog ate my homework and 747's LiVARpool.
Whatever Tamada. Cant be arsed to argue that one but, I reckon I know a fair bit about the machinations of the management and running of professional football clubs and, believe me, the actions of Sky and the EFL have been questionable over the past few years.

The Scots have been great for us over the years with Billy being a particular legend both on and off the pitch.

We're now Champions by the way and, without any Jocks unless you count our Captain who represents the Sweaties by virtue of his Father.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 19, 2020, 6:04 am

More congrats to both the Thai based Leeds fans as due to Brentfords untimely loss to Stoke the mighty whites are promoted as champions... DM hoping within a couple of years you will be joined in the EPL by SCUNTHORPE UTD thats if the Iron dont go bust and can actually find a manager and then enough players to form a team at all ..as all released due to C19.

Looking like Hull relegation a distinct possibility as they lost at home to fellow strugglers Luton.

MoT .. street parties and big celebrations expected in Leeds in the coming days .. not forgetting also Yorkshire Day in August shops are preparing for huge sales of lard, tripe, black pudding and Frosty Jack the favoured tipple of the great unwashed ..and jocks!!!

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 19, 2020, 7:15 am

Leeds fans go nuts at Helland Rd .. party time

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -16-years/

a vid as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGRXNowoIvU

16 years .. in the wilderness !!

Nice to see those fans enjoying themselves .. looks a bit boisterous feel abit sorry for the owner of the blue car .. major jerk for parking there :lol: :lol: ... this unlike the Udon Leeds fan club who both met and had an orange squash in day night complex wearing home and away shirts flat caps after the traditional Yorkshire greeting AYUP there main topic was CAN WE STAY UP ???

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 19, 2020, 7:26 am

samster wrote:
July 18, 2020, 11:03 pm
tamada wrote:
July 18, 2020, 10:13 pm
Zidane wrote:
Whatever Tamada. Cant be arsed to argue that one but, I reckon I know a fair bit about the machinations of the management and running of professional football clubs and, believe me, the actions of Sky and the EFL have been questionable over the past few years.

The Scots have been great for us over the years with Billy being a particular legend both on and off the pitch.

We're now Champions by the way and, without any Jocks unless you count our Captain who represents the Sweaties by virtue of his Father.
Looking at LUFC's (mis)management history, I can see where the depth of knowledge comes from. Maybe if they hire a few more Jockinese, they'll stay up? The Blades have done well with a Jock and a few Irish haven't they?

Banter aside, good to see a "fresh" face in the EPL instead of the perpetual down-and-up-and-down-again also-rans. It's a tough place but with El Loco, I think they have someone that the team, supporters AND OWNER respects to keep them up there, challenging.

The Royal House of Saud money is also quite handy.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 19, 2020, 7:29 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 19, 2020, 7:15 am
Leeds fans go nuts at Helland Rd .. party time

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -16-years/

a vid as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGRXNowoIvU

16 years .. in the wilderness !!

Nice to see those fans enjoying themselves .. looks a bit boisterous feel abit sorry for the owner of the blue car .. major jerk for parking there :lol: :lol: ... this unlike the Udon Leeds fan club who both met and had an orange squash in day night complex wearing home and away shirts flat caps after the traditional Yorkshire greeting AYUP there main topic was CAN WE STAY UP ???

DM
Note to readers: no whippets were involved in the above drama. Professional actors only. Please don't try this at home (or away).

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 19, 2020, 2:36 pm

Sadly I missed the orange squash served by Udons LUFC branch but was partying on down at Elland Road on Friday night. Everything happens for a reason and, maybe the big man (God, not Bielsa) stranded me in the UK so I could be part of, in my opinion, the best moment in the Club's history.

Return to “World Sports”