Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

General sports news and discussions.
Adhoc
udonmap.com

Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by Adhoc » July 29, 2018, 3:24 pm

I thought we should have a new Thread for the new season.
This begins next week when Leeds Utd take on Stoke City on Sunday. Apparently there are other games next weekend also. :lol: :lol:
Firstly, I echo DM's comment from the previous thread about good luck for the new season to all our locally supported much loved teams. Especially Leeds.Thanks for that, DM. \:D/
With our new Argie manager, a few not terrible signings, I see cause for optimism. Maybe.
During August and September Leeds have 5 league games on live TV. More than Man City, Man U, Ars, Tot, & Chelshi...t.
Leeds United - the peoples team. \:D/ :lol: :lol:

MOT

Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by Zidane » July 29, 2018, 3:57 pm

I think,maybe,a mod should move this topic to World Sports if thats OK with you Adhoc ? :-k
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 29, 2018, 3:58 pm

Arrr a new grassroots footy thread ..well done that man ... THE PEOPLES TEAM MY ARSE !!!

I refer the right honourable PM for Morley to my previous post ..

Not looking good for my beloved Scunthorpe Utd ... having let 2 or 3 key players go and not really buying anything to upgrade or even replace it could be a long bleak season IMO ... after the last 2 seasons of reaching the playoffs im predicting the Iron could well be at best mid table tho more likely in the relegation mix . This all stems from last years crazy decision to sack in my mind an excellent young well connected manager in Graham Alexander. Lets wait n see what chairman Swan does this time round .

Good luck to all the teams followed by the expat community here EVEN LEEDS !!

Im pleased you are optimistic about Leeds this coming season .. i recall the same optimism this time last year , when it went as your predictions ......
wk 1.. CHAMPIONS
month 2....AUTO PROMOTION
6 months ...PLAYOFFS
tail end of season ... MEDIOCRE MID TABLE ...survival :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

THE RELEGATION DOG FIGHT never came to fruition but theres always this season for that

Still turned out well for us as you spent loads of dosh in the Tap drowning your sorrows MOST WEEKS ..suffering DM gloating at another and another win for Scunny ..

UP THE IRON .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » July 29, 2018, 4:51 pm

Zidane wrote:
July 29, 2018, 3:57 pm
I think,maybe,a mod should move this topic to World Sports if thats OK with you Adhoc ? :-k
Where ever everyone thinks is best. 555

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 30, 2018, 1:06 pm

No real news from the Scunthorpe Utd camp in preparation for the seasons kick off away at Coventry ...now managed by non other than Mark " my left foot" Robins former Manu U legend and sh&T scunny manager . most certainly not trying to buy the title DM prdicting a long hard season ...

Heres the clubs official website for anyone wishing to follow the Iron ..check out the club shop and the new team strip .. its sweet !!! get your order in now while stocks last.

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/

Claret n blu all way thru you know it makes sense .. UP THE IRON.

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 30, 2018, 1:12 pm

Sure I saw the new Scunny shirts for sale in the Night Market the other day ......... stall on the corner between the Toilet Ducks and the Loo Rolls :-"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 31, 2018, 10:18 pm

LEEDS COMPLETE BAMFORD SIGNING

Leeds have signed Patrick Bamford from fellow Championship side Middlesbrough on a four-year deal for a fee of £7m, rising to £10m.

Bamford has played for England at U21 level and spent five years at Chelsea but did not make any senior appearances for the London side.

However, he was loaned out to several clubs, including Middlesbrough, who signed him permanently in January 2017.

He scored 13 goals in 44 games last term as Boro reached the play-offs, before losing in the semi-finals.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 31, 2018, 10:42 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
July 31, 2018, 10:18 pm
LEEDS COMPLETE BAMFORD SIGNING

Leeds have signed Patrick Bamford from fellow Championship side Middlesbrough on a four-year deal for a fee of £7m, rising to £10m.

Bamford has played for England at U21 level and spent five years at Chelsea but did not make any senior appearances for the London side.

However, he was loaned out to several clubs, including Middlesbrough, who signed him permanently in January 2017.

He scored 13 goals in 44 games last term as Boro reached the play-offs, before losing in the semi-finals.
CRAZY MONEY for an average player ... football transfers n players salaries have gone mad .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 1, 2018, 7:21 am

Unfortunately the requirements for English Trained players has forced their prices through the roof DM Who would have thought that Jack Grealish could command anything over 10m, but they are asking for 40m coz they know Spurs are desperate for English squad players to make up their quota :evil:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 3, 2018, 10:31 am

Well it all kicks off again today (or tomorrow morning if you are in Thailand)..
Reading v Derby County 20:00
Tomorrow
Coventry City 15:00 Scunthorpe United
Cheltenham Town 15:00 Crawley Town
Grimsby Town 15:00 Forest Green Rovers
Port Vale 15:00 Cambridge United
Swindon Town 15:00 Macclesfield Town
Sunday
Leeds United 16:30 Stoke City
& the Charity Shield at 15:00

Personally not too confident of a stress free season - given that Town have sold their outstanding young striker, Mo Eisa, to Bristol City.
No surprise he went given his age & the season he had, BUT... replacements??
10 Free transfers & a 19 year old loanee from Chelsea hardly inspire confidence in a title challenge this year.. :(

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 3, 2018, 11:17 am

Macclesfield Town back in the Football League after an absence of 6 years.
A lot of changes in pre-season.....manager,John Askey,has left the club after being a player,youth team coach and manager for 34 years joining League 1 high flyers Shrewsbury.Stalwart centre back,George Pilkington aged 36,has retired and joined Askey as first team coach in Shropshire.
In all 8 members of the Conference title winning squad have left the club.....some to bigger clubs and some released.
Mark Yates,former Cheltenham,Crawley and Solihull manager has taken over at the helm with ex Macc player,Neil Howarth,as his assistant.
Yates has brought in 10 newcomers and the fans reviews of them are mixed.Macc seem to be stronger in attack but weaker in defence and midfield which doesn't bode well for a league above.
I think anything better than just survival this season would be seen as a bonus for Macc fans.Hopefully,there will be 2 weaker sides than Macc......that said the whole team was re-built last season after losing in the FA Trophy Final at Wembley and they went on to win the Conference by 10 points when most predicted staying out of a relegation battle would be what was in store.
Anyway,good luck to all our teams for the new season. \:D/

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 4, 2018, 8:25 am

Will big spending Salford City secure promotion to the Football League this season ? I think Leyton Orient and AFC Fylde could be their main challengers. :-k

Adam Rooney says leaving Aberdeen was for a new challenge and not for money :pirate:

Adam Rooney says he left Aberdeen for Salford City to seek a "new challenge" and not for money. :-s
The forward swapped the Premiership runners-up for the English fifth tier for an undisclosed fee.
The switch was reportedly worth £4,000 a week for Rooney, but he insists that was not the motivation for the move.
"I've obviously got a decent deal for myself and my family but this was an opportunity that really intrigued me," he told BBC Scotland.
"I had four-and-a-half great years at Aberdeen and I loved my time there but I just felt it was possibly the right time to move on."

So there you go.....

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 4, 2018, 9:04 am

Its' started!!!!
Reading 1 Derby County 2
Mr. Lampards' side left it very, very late to make his first win as a manager though.
It took them an hour to draw even with Reading & then the 4th. minute of injury time to seal the deal...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 4, 2018, 8:38 pm

FULL-TIME
Sunderland 2-1 Charlton
First game of the day over & a unusual position for the last couple of years for Sunderland fans as they see their team win.
They went behind early on & looked poor in the first half but recovered well in the second & won in the 9th. minute of injury time.
Two games, two very late winners. Will this remain the trend for the season??? :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 4, 2018, 9:10 pm

More bl**dy depressing news ... where's me prozac :roll:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 5, 2018, 7:49 am

Coventry City 1 Scunthorpe United 2
Cheltenham Town 0 Crawley Town 1
Grimsby Town 1 Forest Green Rovers 4
Port Vale 3 Cambridge United 0
Swindon Town 3 Macclesfield Town 2

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » August 5, 2018, 10:33 am

The mighty whites begin their season today.
An interesting article on Marcelo Bielsa's style of management.
www.joe.co.uk/amp/sport/marcelo-bielsa- ... ent-193365

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 5, 2018, 10:43 am

Bloomin' eck…...after 90 + 5 minutes the score was Swindon 1 Macclesfield 2 :(
Swindon then got two penalties in the 6th and 8th minutes of added on time to win the game ! :badteeth:
Man of the match was the referee who added 6 minutes at the end of the first half and 9 minutes at the end of the second half ! :confused:
A harsh lesson for the Silkmen but with Morecambe losing 6-0 at Crewe at Grimsby 4-1 at home to Forest Green,there should be weaker sides in the division.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 5, 2018, 11:35 am

From what I read zid Macc's man of the match was the Swindon keeper who must be a pretty relieved guy :lol:

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » August 5, 2018, 3:53 pm

Great win for Port Vale onwards and upwards

Return to “World Sports”