Grass roots Footie 2016/17 season

General sports news and discussions.
Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: Grass roots Footie 2016/17 season

Post by Zidane » October 5, 2016, 9:20 am

You have to wonder what the size of the gates were at these games and what they will be in the future ?
You couldn't see many Sunderland fans wanting to watch their U21 side at Barnet or Middlesbrough U21's playing Brighton U21's wont have many visiting fans travelling north on a wet Tuesday night.
Maybe the clubs participating have been given some sort of financial guarantee by Checkatrade ? :-k

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 5, 2016, 9:47 am

It was 1,023 for the Town game last night.
The previous Tuesday was a home game in the League against Stevenage & that had a gate of 2,238. The home Saturday games usually pull in about 3,000.
A normal Saturday Home ticket for Town is £16.00 to £21 (£4 to £6 off for OAPs like me) but I don't know how much they charge for the Cup game as it is a special price...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 5, 2016, 10:42 am

I suppose the U21 sides are there just so as the managers can give the squad players a run out in a "match" environment.
Of course if the same managers gave these players a "run out" in the other competitions they wouldn't be complaining about players being tired and too many fixtures :-" I'm sure any aspiring young forward would prefer the opportunity to pit his wits against a reserve league 2 defender rather than being given a chance to take on a premier or championship defender even if only for 15 or 20 mins at a time. :roll:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 5, 2016, 11:16 am

Details of some attendances......

Fans boycott EFL Trophy as Portsmouth record lowest ever post-war attendance
Barnet's clash with Norwich City U23 drew just 457 supporters, while the crowd of 609 at Grimsby vs Leicester U23 was their lowest in cup competitions

Fans up and down the country have once again boycotted the revamped EFL Trophy with record low attendances.
Portsmouth drew their lowest ever post-war crowd as 1,355 spectators watched their 2-2 draw with Reading Under-23s, before the young Royals claimed an extra point with a victory in the subsequent penalty shootout.
Almost 17,000 fans saw Pompey's League Two fixture with Doncaster on Saturday.
The lowest gate of the night came at Barnet as just 457 fans saw their 5-0 defeat to Norwich U23.Nineteen more supporters watched Stevenage lose on penalties to Brighton U23 after a 2-2 draw, while Grimsby drew their lowest ever crowd in cup competitions of 609 as they lost 1-0 to Leicester U23.
Port Vale's gate of 1,025 was the second lowest in their history as the Valiants lost 1-0 to Mansfield.
The highest crowd of the evening came at Swindon, but it still broke records which will worry the tournament organisers.
Oxford were the visitors to the County Ground, traditionally the Robins' biggest rivals, but the crowd of 2,698 was the lowest the fixture has ever attracted.
The two sides also met in last year's Johnstone's Paint Trophy, where a crowd of 9,013 saw the clash at the Kassam Stadium.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 5, 2016, 1:17 pm

Been away since the EPIC Scunny away win at Bury ..............please to say

SCUNNY REMAIN TOP
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 8, 2016, 9:19 pm

Oops...better late than never... :D
Scunthorpe 0-0 Northampton
Accrington 0-0 Cheltenham
Macclesfield 0-0 Boreham Wood
North Ferriby United 0-0 Forest Green
FC United of Manchester V Alfreton
At least Town are still all square after 10 minutes!! :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 9, 2016, 7:22 am

Scunthorpe 1-1 Northampton
Accrington 1-1 Cheltenham
Macclesfield 0-2 Boreham Wood
North Ferriby United 0-3 Forest Green
FC United of Manchester 4-3 Alfreton
The Iron go infront & then Northampton have a man sent off. They manage the equalizer though.. They remain top by a point though as Bradford continue their unbeaten run.
Town also have a man sent off & then go behind. Somehow they managed a last gasp equalizer. That is just enough to keep them out of the zone as Exeter draw as well. Need some wins on the board & mighty quickly!!
Surprising home defeat by Macclesfield who just couldn't seem to get a handle on the game for some reason. It drops then to 5th. but they are still well in the mix.
North Ferriby are 3rd. from bottom & so nothing is going their way. The 3 nil scoreline flatters Rovers greatly, but that is often the way when a side at the top meets a struggler. They maintain their 3 point lead at the top..
FC United continue last season's ways with a high scoring win. It keeps them comfortably in mid-table..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 9, 2016, 7:47 am

Nigel Pearson: Derby County manager leaves by mutual consent
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37597454

Chris Powell has been managing the side since Pearson was suspended due to an argument with owner Mel Morris & looks favourite to take over the side permanently.

Powell & Pearson seemed a pretty ideal management pairing to me but while an argument may have resulted in the parting of the ways, the results, only 1 win in 9, was undoubtedly at its' base..

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » October 9, 2016, 12:53 pm

Local football news: Udon Thani FC 4 - 3 Nongbua Phichaya.
Nongbua win on away goals. UDFC's season is over.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 10, 2016, 5:32 pm

York City boss Jackie McNamara is to step down in the next two weeks, once the club has found a replacement.

The former Scotland international had said he would resign as boss of the National League side if they failed to win away at Braintree on Saturday.

The match ended in a 1-1 draw with Braintree scoring a late equaliser.
Tough job being a football manager in the lower leagues, that is for sure!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 13, 2016, 8:04 am

Aston Villa: Steve Bruce appointed manager of Championship club
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37610020

Not much surprise there - except he is an ex Brum manager & the last time Villa did that it was not exactly a raging success either.. :D
Steve McClaren: Derby County re-appoint former boss
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37630067

Well that one is a surprise. Doesn't any decent managers want to go to the Midlands now.. :D It will be interesting to see how this goes & for how long!!!

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » October 13, 2016, 1:31 pm

And McLarens first game is against the mighty whites from Leeds - that could go either way for us!

Incidentally, he was spotted in the crowd at a Leeds game recently when Gary Monk was under pressure. Thankfully nothing came of it although, rumour had it that he is a Leeds fan and was there purely to cheer us on - maybe he does have good judgement after all!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 15, 2016, 7:08 am

Derby V Leeds
Newcastle V Brentford
Scunthorpe V MK Dons
Cheltenham V Crawley
Telford V FC United of Manchester
There are The Emirates FA Cup Qualifying - Fourth Round games being played as well - which I imagine is the cause for no Vanarama National League games..

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 15, 2016, 11:49 am

BobHelm wrote:
Derby V Leeds
Newcastle V Brentford
Scunthorpe V MK Dons
Cheltenham V Crawley
There are The Emirates FA Cup Qualifying - Fourth Round games being played as well - which I imagine is the cause for no Vanarama National League games..
As usual i have highlighted the fixture of most interest to all the thousands of Iron fans around Asia .. lets hope the international break hasnt disturbed the clubs form and they can press on , they welcome back THEIR 2 INTERNATIONALLY CAPPED PLAYERS ..Gibraltan and East Timorean super stars :shock:

No prediction from me as when i do it goes tits up ... goosd luck to the mighty whites today ... not that i dislike Derby but that Mclaren is a total -------- .

DM......UP THE IRON you know it makes sense

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » October 15, 2016, 6:40 pm

For me old blue nose mate. He's still got it; http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a- ... 1e7d016751
Watch Me!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 16, 2016, 7:33 am

Derby 1-0 Leeds
Newcastle 3-1 Brentford
Scunthorpe 2-1 MK Dons
Cheltenham 2-1 Crawley
Telford 1-0 FC United of Manchester
Town finally get a win on the board as birthday boy Billy Waters scores after just three minutes. Tense at the end after the visitors drew one back after 78 minutes but the Robins held on for a deserved win.
It was enough to take them up to a heady 19th. but only 1 point out of the drop zone.. :shock:
Newport County lost again & are starting to be cast adrift at the bottom - already 2 wins away from safety this early on..

camps
udonmap.com

Post by camps » October 16, 2016, 11:23 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
BobHelm wrote:
Derby V Leeds
Newcastle V Brentford
Scunthorpe V MK Dons
Cheltenham V Crawley
As usual i have highlighted the fixture of most interest to all the thousands of Iron fans around Asia .. lets hope the international break hasnt disturbed the clubs form and they can press on , they welcome back THEIR 2 INTERNATIONALLY CAPPED PLAYERS ..Gibraltan and East Timorean super stars :shock:

No prediction from me as when i do it goes tits up ... goosd luck to the mighty whites today ... not that i dislike Derby but that Mclaren is a total -------- .

DM......UP THE IRON you know it makes sense
Hi Jon,...Not to keen on him myself, but I like his style of attacking football, yesterday reverting back to 4-3-3,which went down a treat with the 32,000 crowd....Wow, that Dip is spot on,(owe you a beer) Had last night with a big plate of home made "chips" whilst watching the mighty Rams beat Adhoc's "Hovis Munchers" 1-0. Bring on the Iron, maybe next year ??..ps..highlights today, all football league games Channel 5 (uk tv) 2:30pm...Cheers. P.

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » October 16, 2016, 11:48 am

Disappointed with yesterday's result result for the mighty whites at Derby. but getting a new manager, no matter how inept, usually gives a team a lift. So probably not a surprising result.
There's always Tuesday at ER. Bring on Wigan.

camps
udonmap.com

Post by camps » October 16, 2016, 12:32 pm

Adhoc wrote:Disappointed with yesterday's result result for the mighty whites at Derby. but getting a new manager, no matter how inept, usually gives a team a lift. So probably not a surprising result.
There's always Tuesday at ER. Bring on Wigan.
I agree "A" and would have preferred S. Bruce who was interviewed, and with a excellent record of getting teams out of the championship,but like i say, i do like Mc's style of play and although still behind you in the table will finish above at the end of the season....cheers \:D/

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 16, 2016, 1:13 pm

Thanks to both camps and Adhoc for there thoughts ... well done Derby who played well , alas Leeds fans must be getting used to the Sunday morning blues feeling .

NOT SO us Scunny fans who are just loving it !!!! coming from behind to beat MK Dons and with other teams around loosing or drawing means if im not mistaken we are 4 points clear at the TOPPA THE LEAGUE (dont fall off yer chair again Brian D) ...im just pleased Villa have Bruce , England Southgate and Everton Koeman as Graham Alexander must ov been in the mix for all of those jobs , keeping my eye on Swansea and Leeds who are showing an interest in Scunnys brilliant young manager .

M ..O...T.... 55555555555

Disapointing for Valiants Vale who sadly got thumped sliced up n quartered by the Blades yesterday i was hoping for a draw as Sheff U are getting better n better by the week and could become a serious threat to THE IRONS EPL push .

DM ...

Return to “World Sports”