fixtures.png
fixtures 1.png

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: European Football team competitions 2016/17

Post by BobHelm » April 19, 2017, 7:20 am

score.png
score.png (13.06 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
Once Atlético scored an early goal it was all but over for the Foxes. They gave it a real go & no one could complain at their effort. Atlético just a bit too smart for them at this level though.

The other Madrid made it look very easy indeed against the best German side around. Ronaldo scored a hat trick in what was made too look a very easy tie by the Spanish side..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 19, 2017, 8:12 am

Yes,a bridge too far for Leicester but they have had a magnificent run in this competition.
It will be interesting how they do next season.The players certainly didn't play for Ranieri and looked a different proposition once he had gone.
Next season,with no European adventures to look forward to,will they take their foot off the gas for Craig Shakespeare also ??

Now,Bob,I have to take issue with you over your view of the Real-Bayern game ! ;) It certainly wasn't easy for Real as Bayern actually won 2-1 in normal time to take the game into extra time.This despite being reduced to 10 men after Vidal was harshly sent off.Also when Ronaldo scored Reals second goal he was well over a yard offside.Bayern then had to go for broke and conceded two more.
I can only think you watched the game in 747mans Nong Khai home !! :D
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 19, 2017, 8:33 am

Yes Zid, I will concede that your view is probably more apt than mine.. :D

It is, as always with football the result that counts though.. :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 19, 2017, 8:41 am

Yes,and United beat Chelsea,Cheltenham almost safe now and the pound surging.....life cant get much better for you,Bob ! \:D/

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 19, 2017, 11:15 am

I can only think you watched the game in 747mans Nong Khai home !!......No Andy, Bob certainly did NOT,As I was where ALL Sensible People would have been at that time........In Me Bed !!!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 20, 2017, 6:51 am

score.png
No wonderful comebacks for Barca this time around. As I suspected they would do Juve went to protect what they had & did it in a good old fashioned Italian league style display.

For the second leg as well, the Dortmund team made more headlines than the game.
Dirty tricks springs unfortunately to mind as the German side had more than sufficient off pitch concerns to have much impact on the pitch..

I imagine that the 2 Spanish sides will be eager to miss each other & meet in the final for the second year running..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 20, 2017, 1:08 pm

Of the 4 teams left I hope Monaco win it as they play bright,enterprising football (too good for The Spuds and Citeh).
Falcao,remember him ?? is one of their main men !
Not too fussed about the other 3,although Atletico Madrid have been beaten in extra time in two recent finals and maybe deserve to lift the trophy.

Anyway...tonight....United v Anderlecht (Europa League quarter final 2nd leg) is on at 2.05am Friday morning over here in Thailand.All to play for with the first leg ending up 1-1.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 21, 2017, 7:51 am

Manchester United 2 RSC Anderlecht 1 (after extra time 1-1)
United made very hard work of this and it took an extra time goal from Marcus Rashford to secure them a place in the Europa League semi finals.
Mkhitarayan scored after 12 minutes for United only for Anderlecht to equalize 20 minutes later.After that United missed chance after chance.....similar to most of their 9 home draws in the EPL this season.Worrying for United is that both Rojo and Ibrahimovic were taken off with bad knee injuries that could keep them out for the rest of the season.
At least it would give United the opportunity to play the attacking line up they had against Chelsea for the remaining matches but they will miss Ibrahimovic's 28 goal tally so far this campaign.He had a shocker last night,though.
The draw for the Europa League semi finals (as well as the Champions League) takes place later today in Nyon,Switzerland.United are joined in the draw by Ajax,Lyon and Celta Vigo.

Besiktas 2 Lyon 1 (aggregate 3-3,Lyon win 7-6 on penalties)
FC Schalke 04 3 Ajax 2 (aggregate 3-4)
KRC Genk 1 Celta Vigo 1 (aggregate 3-4)
Manchester United 2 RSC Anderlecht 1 (aggregate 3-2,after extra time)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 21, 2017, 5:30 pm

Champions League semi-finals draw
Posted at 17:18

Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid

Monaco v Juventus

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 21, 2017, 6:29 pm

BreakingEuropa League semi-finals draw
Posted at 18:16

Ajax v Lyon

Celta Vigo v Manchester United

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 21, 2017, 7:38 pm

Real Madrid v Monaco in the Champions League final ??
Ajax versus.......err.....Manchester United in the Europa League final then ! :-$

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 2, 2017, 6:52 am

fixture.png
fixtures 1.png

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 3, 2017, 6:55 am

Tuesday 2nd May 2017
UEFA Champions League - Semi-Finals

Real Madrid 3-0 Atlético Madrid
I thought this was going to be a couple of competitive matches.. :(
Unfortunately for Atlético, Cristiano Ronaldo was rather in the mood. In truth, Real were the far, far better side on the night although, until Ronaldo scored his second after 73 minutes, it did look like good goalkeeping & poor finishing might keep the visitors in the tie..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 4, 2017, 7:07 am

score.png
score.png (11.62 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Juve are all but through to the final. Monaco will need to do something pretty spectacular in Italy to recover from the first leg, but they are known as an attacking side!!
Lyon may have scored 1 away from home in their first leg, but the home leg looks like another mountain to climb if they are going through as well.
3 semi-final first legs played so far & they are all pointing to a winner already. Tonight it is United's & Celta Vigo's turn...

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 5, 2017, 7:49 am

Celta Vigo 0 Manchester United 1
This was a great win for United and thoroughly deserved.A great free kick by Rashford midway through the second half won the tie.United completely dominated the first half and it was only some good saves by the Celta keeper that kept them in the tie.Celta improved in the second half but rarely looked like breaking down United.
I did expect more from the hosts who were largely disappointing.
Bad news for United with another injury......Ashley Young going off with a hamstring injury after just 11 minutes,after coming on as a sub,which meant a return to action for Chris Smalling.
Jose says he will rest players for the Arsenal game who have put in a lot of playing time recently,so unlikely to be no Bailly,Herrera,Valencia and Rashford at the very least.
But,touch wood,looking good for the final in Stockholm on May 24th. [-o<

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 8, 2017, 2:19 pm

The season slowly winds its' way to a finish -
fixtures.png
fixtures 1.png

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 10, 2017, 6:50 am

Juventus 2-1 Monaco
(agg 4-1)
All too easy for Juve. Monaco are a nice attacking football playing side but they were beaten at home & away & can have few complaints as they were outclassed.
It looks like it will be Real in the final, but either Madrid will pose an interesting contrast in styles for the final..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 11, 2017, 7:13 am

Atlético Madrid 2-1 Real Madrid
(agg 2-4)
Real had done enough in the first leg to be comfortable, but when Atlético stormed into an early 2 nil lead it looked like it was game on. The visitors graped one back just before the break though to put themselves back into command.
It does prove that Real are vulnerable & can be beat, although whether Juve will be willing to show quite that much attacking aggression remains to be seen.
It should be an interesting final in Cardiff though... :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 12, 2017, 6:59 am

score.png
score.png (11.22 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
It looked game over before it started for Lyon as they were 4 - 1 down. That looked even more certain after 27 minutes when Ajax scored again. But the home side suddenly came alive as the first half was coming to an end & scored 2 in a minute at the death. They managed to get another with 10 minutes remaining & then the visitors had a man sent off with 6 minutes on the clock. Ajax creaked, but held on.

United also looked in the box seat before their leg started & that improved after quarter of an hour with another goal. However, as has happened so often this season, they couldn't provide the killing touch & Vigo pulled one back with 5 minutes remaining. The goal was quickly followed by a full team skirmish that saw both sides reduced to 10 men. It was a bit of a 'handbags at dawn' affair really that showed United's nervousness more than anything else. With 6 minutes of added time it became 11 minutes of end to end stuff with a lot of effort expended but very little skill. Vigo could have scored (& so won the tie on away goals) with virtually the last kick of the match, but didn't.. :D

Return to “World Sports”