World Series 2012

General sports news and discussions.
redwolf
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by redwolf » October 26, 2012, 9:10 pm

and I was just kidding about my hunch about the Tigers winning game 2. to throw off the doubters.

that said I have a hunch the Tigers will win Game 3.

Q: Did you hear that Detroit's baseball team doesn't have a website?
A: They can't string three "Ws" together.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

redwolf
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by redwolf » October 26, 2012, 9:33 pm

redwolf wrote:and I was just kidding about my hunch about the Tigers winning game 2. to throw off the doubters.

that said I have a hunch the Tigers will win Game 3.

Q: Did you hear that Detroit's baseball team doesn't have a website?
and here's something for bed time.
Attachments
Giants-Keep-Hitting-It.jpeg
Giants-Keep-Hitting-It.jpeg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 963 times

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 26, 2012, 9:45 pm

redwolf wrote:
redwolf wrote: Q: Did you hear that Detroit's baseball team doesn't have a website?
Hah, hah, hah! Okay, okay, so Canada's team is struggling a little bit. Fister really took one for the team, right off the noggin.

By the way, tell the Yankees about that bit the Tigers can't win three in a row.

Anyway, the Series is headed back to Detroit where the weather forecast is for rain and lots of it on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and temperatures during the day hovering around 8.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

redwolf
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by redwolf » October 26, 2012, 10:02 pm

will they be broadcasting the game at the jail so the mayor can watch it from his cell? : )

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 27, 2012, 2:52 am

Detroit's mayors have almost spent as time in jail as Denny McLain, Detroit's 31-6 ace in 1968. 555+
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by jackspratt » October 28, 2012, 8:13 am

I am watching game 3, streaming the Fox broadcast - the Giants 2 runs up at the moment.

However, I feel like throwing my PC out the window every time the unctuous, smarmy Kenny Rosenthal oozes his way onto the screen. :-#

How do you yanks feel about him?

ps Mods - shouldn't this thread be on the World Sports, rather than Udon Sports, forum?

BigBubba
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by BigBubba » October 28, 2012, 10:44 am

For blowing the opportunity the Tigers had in the 5th they deserve to lose.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by mathusalah80 » October 28, 2012, 10:55 am

jackspratt wrote, in his usual humourous way:

ps Mods - shouldn't this thread be on the World Sports, rather than Udon Sports, forum?

Better still Jack, how about changing the name of this parochially based gambol from the fantasy name of "WORLD Series 2012" to the more factual name of "USA/Canada Series 2012" \:D/ \:D/ :lol: :lol:

But that apart, I think YOUR idea of transferring this inappropriately placed thread away from Udon 'Sports'(?) Forum is a great idea Jack! But, think about it, I am not sure your fellow American fanatics will love you anymore, and might even decide to disown you, after such a disloyal suggestion! [-X [-X .

You could even find yourself banned by Bubba, and condemned to watching Scunthorpe, in the company of you know who. :shock: ;) \:D/

BigBubba
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by BigBubba » October 28, 2012, 11:14 am

A thousand pardons to all who may have been offended, in any way, by my error in posting. For all I care they can delete the whole thing. May I be so lucky that this is the biggest mistake I make in my life. And for anyone who this has created a big problem, I think your life should be considered pretty much problem free also. Have a nice day, gentlemen ;)

Bubba

jackspratt
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by jackspratt » October 28, 2012, 12:05 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:jackspratt wrote, in his usual humourous way:

Better still Jack, how about changing the name of this parochially based gambol from the fantasy name of "WORLD Series 2012" to the more factual name of "USA/Canada Series 2012" \:D/ \:D/ :lol: :lol:

But that apart, I think YOUR idea of transferring this inappropriately placed thread away from Udon 'Sports'(?) Forum is a great idea Jack! But, think about it, I am not sure your fellow American fanatics will love you anymore, and might even decide to disown you, after such a disloyal suggestion! [-X [-X .

You could even find yourself banned by Bubba, and condemned to watching Scunthorpe, in the company of you know who. :shock: ;) \:D/
What in god's name are you on about?

Or perhaps, just "on"?
Last edited by jackspratt on October 28, 2012, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by jackspratt » October 28, 2012, 12:06 pm

BigBubba wrote:For blowing the opportunity the Tigers had in the 5th they deserve to lose.
I suspect the 5th was purely a reflection of their overall .165 team batting average.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by mathusalah80 » October 28, 2012, 3:23 pm

So sorry for inadvertently confusing you Jack :( , and for causing you Bubba, to go into an apopletic fit for some obscure reason :shock: :mad: Obviously, the guilt lies squarely upon me for not taking into account that, having been weaned on mainly traditional visual slap stick, you would neither perceive nor appreciate in the least little bit, the humour in the subtleties and nuances of Satire. :? Least of all when directed at teasing you personally, or your National, (Ooops sorry "WORLD ), version of football. :evil:
Accordingly, by way of punishment, I now bann myself permanently from this thread. =D> :D ;) :-"

jackspratt
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by jackspratt » October 28, 2012, 3:36 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:So sorry for inadvertently confusing you Jack :( , and for causing you Bubba, to go into an apopletic fit for some obscure reason :shock: :mad: Obviously, the guilt lies squarely upon me for not taking into account that, having been weaned on mainly traditional visual slap stick, you would neither perceive nor appreciate in the least little bit, the humour in the subtleties and nuances of Satire. :? Least of all when directed at teasing you personally, or your National, (Ooops sorry "WORLD ), version of football. :evil:
Accordingly, by way of punishment, I now bann myself permanently from this thread. =D> :D ;) :-"
I tried google translate with this, but unfortunately it does not have an option for "waffle" to English.

But your final sentence makes sense. =D>

redwolf
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by redwolf » October 28, 2012, 4:34 pm

which is a convenient time for me to administer the general statement of:

TIGERS ARE GOING DOWN BIG TIME.

SMUSHED LIKE BUGS.

and reassert my "hunch" maybe they'll win the next game.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by mathusalah80 » October 28, 2012, 4:49 pm

OK Jack, one last one for you, although we've been down this road before!

You wrote: "I tried google ........................... but unfortunately it does not have an option for "waffle" to English. "
How about a practical example: i.e. waffle == e.g. jackspratt 6542 posts @2.83 per day

You wrote: "But your final sentence makes sense".
That's because I thoughtfully kept it simple, so you wouldn't be required to think! :D :lol: \:D/

That's it. As promised, I am finished here. Enjoy this seasons World Series. :D

KB_Texas

World Series 2012

Post by KB_Texas » October 28, 2012, 4:52 pm

Least of all when directed at teasing you personally, or your National, (Ooops sorry "WORLD ), version of football.
Ummmm, must be WAYYY away from sports if he is not sure of the difference between football and baseball. ;) Maybe that explains the 'satire', though honestly, it is silly to call it 'world' anything, since the only teams allowed to play are professional North American teams.

KB

jackspratt
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by jackspratt » October 28, 2012, 6:06 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:OK Jack, one last one for you, although we've been down this road before!

You wrote: "I tried google ........................... but unfortunately it does not have an option for "waffle" to English. "
How about a practical example: i.e. waffle == e.g. jackspratt 6542 posts @2.83 per day

You wrote: "But your final sentence makes sense".
That's because I thoughtfully kept it simple, so you wouldn't be required to think! :D :lol: \:D/

That's it. As promised, I am finished here. Enjoy this seasons World Series. :D
While we are reminiscing, I am reminded of this very practical example of "waffle":
Thai PM to visit Australia

Postby mathusalah80 » May 21, 2012, 1:50 pm
I wondered when you would finally decide to ‘try it on’ with me jack. I admire ambition in a person, no matter their personal limitations! So, OK, I am up for a little fun, especially if coupled with the opportunity of supplementing my meagre pension with some of your money! So I’ll cognizantly bite as follows:

Jackspratt wrote:
“Can you provide some evidence (eg a credible link) of this "palatial residence" - in the absence of which, we can all wonder who "has got it right"
Jack, it is a matter of total indifference to me whether you choose to believe the correctness of my statement, or continue to wonder about it or, perish the thought and assuming it is within your intellectual abilities, do your own research. After all, it is YOU who is doing he wondering, not me!
Jackspratt wrote: “……….we can ALL wonder…”
Jack, who is this ‘ALL’ on whose behalf you have egotistically presumed to elect yourself spokesman? Copying your inanity: “Can YOU provide some credible evidence you are in a position to speak on behalf of “ALL”, (defining specifically the people or group of people encompassed in your chosen term), – in the absence of which I must wonder upon the validity of your comment!”
Bye the bye, I would hazard a guess there are, at the very least, a few Australians around, incensed at the, (then), Australian Government’s ‘benevolent’ attitude towards Thaksin, who are not doing much of the wondering to which you refer.

Today’s special offer: An opportunity for you jack to, as we say in Australia, ‘put your money where your mouth is, (i.e. ‘put up or shut up’). Offer me a substantial, worth my while, bet that I cannot prove my statement, and I will be absolutely delighted to take you up on it, as well as take your money. Being aware of the convoluted nature of your thinking, I must add a rider to my offer. Any property (properties) held by nominees/nominee companies/trustees of any of the members of the Thaksin clan, or their nannies, chauffeurs or other employees of Thaksin, his family members or any of their companies, shall be deemed to be de facto in the ownership of Thaksin, for the purposes of our proposed bet.

Please note jack, I am finished posting on this thread, and specifically upon your off topic troll directed at me; although my bet offer remains on the table. Thanks for providing me with the opportunity for some light hearted fun, to fill an otherwise empty hour. You can now troll away to your heart’s content, with complete impunity from me.
…………………………………………………………..

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... ia#p294624
From memory, 438 words rather than a simple "no". :shock: :D

But as you have (again, hopefully) finished on this thread, we can get back to the important debate re Detroit's chances of visiting sunny San Francisco again this spring. :-k

BigBubba
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by BigBubba » October 28, 2012, 8:03 pm

Just for anyone who might be interested in the thread topic (and not the other "sport" that has developed thereon):

World Series History

Each year, the primary focus in any professional sport is the race for a championship. Every sport has their pinnacle trophy, but none is as coveted as baseball's World Series; a best of seven contest that celebrates our national pastime. An event as important as any holiday on the calendar, it is as traditional as Thanksgiving, as patriotic as the Fourth of July and as anticipated as Christmas morning. Over the last century, the World Series has been woven into the fabric of America's culture evolving far beyond a mere baseball tournament. It has become the game of all games and has continued to provide us with an endless highlight reel of magical moments evoking childhood memories of agony and ecstasy.

How would one define the World Series? It's Willie Mays catching what can't be caught and Don Larsen being perfect where perfection is simply not possible. It's Babe Ruth telling the fans and media where he is going to deposit the next pitch and a heavily outscored team of Pirates beating the unbeatable Yankees off a ninth inning Bill Mazeroski blast. The World Series is the crushing blow of Fred Snodgrass dropping a routine fly ball and Willie McCovey hitting the final out straight to Bobby Richardson. It's the Curse of the Bambino, when loyal Red Sox fans live their entire lives without witnessing a championship and when Yankees fans witness four in five years...

Although the "Fall Classic" as we know it didn't begin until 1903, Major League Baseball had several versions of a post-season championship series before that. In 1884, the Providence Grays of the National League outplayed the New York Metropolitan Club of the American Association in a three game series for what was originally called "The Championship of the United States." Several newspapers penned the Grays as "World Champions" and the new title stuck. Over the next six years, different variations took place between the National League and American Association pennant-winners, ranging in length from six to fifteen games. The American Association folded unexpectedly after the 1891 season forcing a suspension of the series. The following year, the National League absorbed four of the American Association's former franchises and expanded to twelve teams in an effort to promote the growth of baseball and maintain the public's interest. They played a split season in which the first-half winner played the second-half winner for the league championship. Many fans did not support the new system and the split season was promptly dropped in 1893.

In 1894, Pittsburgh's owner William C. Temple offered a championship trophy to the winner of a best-of-seven-game series between the National League's first and second-place teams. In addition, he stated that the winning franchise would receive 65% of all ticket sales and the losing team would pocket 35%. Temple's novel idea would last for the next three years and helped to build the foundation for baseball's post-season popularity. More changes were on the horizon and in 1901, the American League was established much to the dismay of the senior circuit. Suddenly, baseball found itself engaged in a "civil war" as both rival leagues competed separately for the fan's loyalty and attention. Two years later a truce, previously known as the "National Agreement", was redefined outlining baseball's employment, salary and travel requirements. The 1903 compromise produced the business blueprint for major-league baseball and resulted in a merger that has lasted to this day. Once again Boston and Pittsburgh, the top American and National League teams, found themselves competing against one another in the first official "World Series".

And in the current event it does look like Detroit is finished. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a team has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit to win the series.

Bubba

redwolf
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by redwolf » October 28, 2012, 11:15 pm

KB_Texas wrote: though honestly, it is silly to call it 'world' anything, since the only teams allowed to play are professional North American teams.

KB
very true, -which made me think:

when do we get International Baseball?

I think it would be the hottest thing EVER.

Imagine us going up against the Japanese teams or various amazing talents from So. America assembled under their national banners?

We be absolutely destroyed by Venezuela, etc. I'd love to see a high end Tokyo team completely DISMANTLE a team like the Yankees.

One can only dream but I would follow international baseball more than any sport as unlike football, one can't flop and be a "prancer" in baseball.

redwolf
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by redwolf » October 28, 2012, 11:30 pm

oh and by the way while various people in here are humping one another's legs typing out amazing zingers at one another, here's a special message just for you reading this fine very on-topic post about the world series, the best post on here, for which I accept your gratitude and thanks in advance:
Attachments
29146931.jpg
would be cool to win it in SF but we'll gladly take it in Duhtroit.
29146931.jpg (68.98 KiB) Viewed 688 times

Return to “World Sports”