English Premier League 2011/12

General sports news and discussions.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 26, 2011, 11:23 am

Stoke v Blackburn is the early kick off game today.
Stoke trying to recapture the sort of form that they are showing in Europe after some poor Premiership results.
Blackburn are desperate for 3 points.
Can't see them getting them here though. Stoke should do it quite easily as long as they do not lose their nerve/

For the late game, the Gunners have another London derby against disappointing away from home Fulham. As long as van Persie plays there is really only 1 result, even if this away game is only 'away' by a few miles.. :D

In between it should be mainly home wins....except maybe at Bolton where both them & Everton cannot claim consistency and at West Brom where Spurs, on paper, look favourites. Roy Hodgson can be a sly old fox when it comes to upsetting the odds though.

Tomorrow, early, sees an interesting clash between new boys Swansea & Villa... Swansea will go for it, all guns blazing but I am not sure that they have the fire-power to finish it. Villa will defend & hope to win it on the break...where they do have the class, IF they can get them opportunities. Agbonlahor & Bent in the Swansea side would be interesting!!!

The last clash of the weekend is the one I am really waiting for. Pool can be dangerous (as Chelsea found out last weekend) & are never a push over at home. However they are still really are still a bit of a one trick pony, with Suarez being that trick. Bellamy still has pace to frighten any defence, but just how attacking will Pool be.
Citi have attacking class galore. While I am still not convinced that either Dzeko or Balotelli are as good as they think they are, Aguero & Silva ARE - possibly even better.. :D Johnson is also a player who would get a game, most weeks, for most sides.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 26, 2011, 11:39 am

Nice to see that Rooney has recovered from his "INJURY" in time to play :-"

Wouldn't it be nice if old whisky nose actually told the truth once in a while?

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » November 26, 2011, 11:52 am

stattointhailand wrote:Nice to see that Rooney has recovered from his "INJURY" in time to play :-"

Wouldn't it be nice if old whisky nose actually told the truth once in a while?
No chance of that,the only time pizza face told the truth is when he said he was lying

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 26, 2011, 12:11 pm

Impossible to say if 'individual' Kenny is lying or not, as no one can understand a word he is mumbling.... :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 26, 2011, 10:45 pm

Saturday, 26 November 2011 Barclays Premier League
Stoke 3-1 Blackburn
Very much to the form book for the early kick off.
Stoke might have been on a bit of a bad run in the Premiership, but they always had far too much for Blackburn. The visitors didn't breech the net until the 86th. minute, by which time Stoke had already netted 3 times.
Will not be this easy for the home side every game this season though & they are not exactly 'safe' with this result.
Blackburn look doomed. Steve Kean might have been handed a new contract but if results do not improve he will be gone by January. Them & Wigan are already starting to get isolated at the bottom.

magpie73
udonmap.com

Post by magpie73 » November 27, 2011, 12:36 am

man utd 1-1 mighty magpies this season were showing we can mix it with the top team's it's not easy going to old trafford but we showed some good attacking football but mainly we were having to defend which we done magnificently today to frustrate man utd they had plenty of chances to put the game to bed so looking at this was a good result for the toon chelsea next 3 point's for the mighty mags toon toon black and army

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 27, 2011, 10:18 am

Saturday, 26 November 2011 Barclays Premier League
Arsenal 1-1 Fulham
Bolton 0-2 Everton
Chelsea 3-0 Wolverhampton
Man Utd 1-1 Newcastle
Norwich 2-1 QPR
Sunderland 1-2 Wigan
West Brom 1-3 Tottenham
Strange late game at the Gunners. Vermaelen put them under pressure with an own goal that seemed to take them aback more than if Fulham had scored it. Eventually he put it right himself at the other end though. Not sure that Fulham expected the sort of game they got as it was a very un-Arsenal performance. Maybe all too much 'after the Lord Mayor's Show' after their European qualification in mid-week. The result still sees Fulham too far at the wrong end of the table.

Play the majority of the game with only 10 men & even a side that struggle to score will do so. That is what happened to Bolton here after only 20 minutes. One where the referee decided the game, whatever the rights & wrongs of the dismissal. Not looking good at all for 18th. place Bolton. I am sure that they thought they were guaranteed some points out of this game.
Everton slip into 8th. place just behind neighbours' Pool. Another year that is a testament to the managerial skills of David Moyes. After so long unable to buy a player I wonder if he will make good choices when the time finally arrives.

Game won before half time at a canter by Chelsea. Only regret might be that neither Drogba nor Torres could individually take advantage of the situation & find the back of the net. Mata continues to look a great acquisition & Sturridge looks a great long term prospect, if still a bit of work to do.
I think Wolves rather got what they expected....nothing. Their only real hope of avoiding the drop is that the teams around them at the bottom look even worse than they do..

Poor result for United. That Newcastle earned the draw with a very dubious penalty is not the point, neither was that the Newcastle man of the match was their goalkeeper, Krul. This is a poor United side, that lacks a midfield player with some class. Little wonder that, apparently, Wesley Sneijder is being discussed again!!
Newcastle continue to impress with their commitment. I will be one of the first to admit that I did not think the appointment of Alan Pardew was in any way a positive one for them. I was completely wrong. How long before the bubble does finally burst....not sure, but the team certainly do not seem willing to give up just yet!!

The clash between the two promote sides who have settled best, resulted in a home victory. Even after the loss, both sides are sitting very comfortably in mid table. This was just the sort of game that Norwich need to win if they are going to survive. QPR have already shown that they can go away from home & score goals & win.
Both sides try & play football but both often displayed a naivety that more established Premier clubs will punish.

These are dire times for Sunderland & manager Steve Bruce. To lose, at home, to the bottom side who couldn't buy a victory is not what the faithful expect. Christmas is coming & for the managers of disappointing Premier league sides that means more worry about the sack than the presents inside it!!
Takes Wigan off the bottom but they need a few more results like this (& quickly) to start progressing from the bottom..

West Brom got off to the best of possible starts & then allowed Spurs to get a gripe on the game. Far to much class in the Tottenham side once they were allowed to turn it into a football match. On loan Adebayor netted another couple, added by Defoe. Spurs ease into third spot, a game in hand & only 2 points behind second placed United. With the relative forms of the two sides Spurs could easily be in second place by the New Year. Just if they can maintain this sort of form to season end remains to be seen. Harry's teams have a woeful record of maintaining form towards the end of the season..

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 27, 2011, 6:17 pm

Wow ...... look what 'appens when the origional ref pulls a sickie and SAF doesn't have time to "talk" to his replacement before the game :-"

A penalty ....... AGAINST Man U [-X [-X Didn't the guy read the rules as laid down by Alex? And then only 4 mins injury time before he blows the whistle, what on earth was he thinking?

Bet there was smoke pouring from the pen nib before the officials had got out of the showers :-$

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

camps
udonmap.com

Post by camps » November 27, 2011, 7:50 pm

Breaking news;
Welsh F A has announced the death of Gary Speed (aged 42) What a true hard working professional he was. A credit to the game.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 27, 2011, 7:56 pm

This SAD News Confirmed......Gary was found Hanged at his home in Huntingdon Nr.Chester,This Morning at 07.08 Confirmed by Chehire Police........Very sad News Indeed, Saw him play for Everton Many Many Times, ALWAYS gave 110 %,A Truly Hard working Professional.......Sad,Sad,News....R.I.P Gary such a waste of life, He was only 42 Years Old....

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 27, 2011, 7:56 pm

Good grief, what a shock...
Thanks for the even more awful details ....
What a tragic waste of life...
He will be greatly missed, especially by Wales Football who he was successfully transforming into a decent side...

RIP....

AroyFarang
udonmap.com

Gary Speed Dead Aged 42

Post by AroyFarang » November 27, 2011, 7:57 pm

Been watching it on Sky News for the last hour. Shocking news. A true professional, a great player and was showing what a great International Manager he was. Suicide. Just goes to prove you never know what goes on in the mind of people. RIP Gary, you will be sadly missed.
I don’t have a problem with God. I have a problem with God’s customer support team.

magpie73
udonmap.com

Post by magpie73 » November 27, 2011, 9:19 pm

watched gary speed many time's for newcastle he always gave 100% he was loved by the toon army one of them player's that when he returned to st james park with bolton you would sing his name and applaud him a true sportsman of the game he will be sorely missed tyneside has lost one of it's heroe's rip

kennyguk
udonmap.com

Post by kennyguk » November 27, 2011, 9:39 pm

at the start of the Swansea v Aston Villa match Shay Given was visibly upset. He had a lot of friends in the football fraternity. He had a lot of respect at every club he played for and was doing a great job with Wales

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 28, 2011, 6:40 am

Whilst I won't start a debate on the private matter of his death.I do wonder are the pressures of football management getting too much for mere mortals these days . An example was watching Fergie going on about that "penalty'. I wanted to sit him down and relax as he looked on the verge of giving himself a heart attack .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 28, 2011, 9:46 am

Very sad news about Gary Speed......RIP
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 28, 2011, 9:55 am

After the distressing news above both the games, probably understandably, rather turned out to be damp squibs.
Sunday, 27 November 2011 Barclays Premier League
Liverpool 1-1 Man City
Swansea 0-0 Aston Villa
The early game at Swansea was a very sombre affair & neither side could really get going. The Swans (as expected) had the better of the attacking chances, although Villa did get more of the game towards the end when the home side started to tire. Respectable result for all, given the occasion, as both sides remain mid table.

Didn't get the chance to see if Pool would all out attack Citi as, for personal reasons Kenny, correctly, left Craig Bellamy out of the squad. Still with all the attacking talents available to both sides it was two Citi defenders who got on the score sheets. Lescott conceding a first half own goal just minutes after Kompany had put Citi ahead.
Balotelli came on as a second half substitute & managed to get himself sent off for conceding two yellows for Citi to survive the last 10 minutes down a man.
Honours even, which will suit both sides on a day when actually playing football took a very back seat in most peoples' minds.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 28, 2011, 10:00 am

RIP Gary ...... and thank you for everything you gave to the game and it's fans

magpie73
udonmap.com

Post by magpie73 » November 28, 2011, 8:31 pm

just been reading in my local paper that pattaya city fc will be wearing black armband's in there next game as a mark off respect was up st james park today to leave my toon top very emotional shed a few tears can't begin to understand what his loved one's must be going thru at this time r.i.p gary speed a true legend of the game

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 3, 2011, 9:17 am

Saturday, 3 December 2011 Barclays Premier League
Newcastle v Chelsea, 12:45
Blackburn v Swansea, 15:00
Man City v Norwich, 15:00
QPR v West Brom, 15:00
Tottenham v Bolton, 15:00
Wigan v Arsenal, 15:00
Aston Villa v Man Utd, 17:30
Interesting early kick off has Chelsea going to Newcastle. Should be a cracker as Chelsea have a bit to prove after 2 losses to Liverpool & Newcastle must believe that Citi apart they can give anyone a game...especially at home.
Reasonable games for Citi & Spurs at home while the Gunners should be confident away in Wigan. Blackburn will be desperate for a win & the Swans are certainly better at home than away, while QPR will want to get their show back on the road at home to West Brom.
United have much to prove after a series of disappointing results &, worse, performances. The current Villa team, even away, should really hold no fears for them. However such has been their performances this year that just about any side could turn up...
Sunday, 4 December 2011 Barclays Premier League
Everton v Stoke, 15:00
Wolverhampton v Sunderland, 16:00

With Stokes' form after a European game Everton must be happy that they have them this week...poor Stoke I don't think that a home game has happened for them after a European one. Any sort of form by Stoke will give them a result as Everton remain as toothless in front of goal as for the last couple of non spending seasons.
Vital that the new manager gets Sunderland off to some sort of start. Wolves, away, is just the sort of game that they should be taking points from & vital now that they find themselves with relegation worries.
Monday, 5 December 2011 Barclays Premier League
Fulham v Liverpool, 20:00
This is the sort of game that Liverpool have to win if they are going to progress & play with the big boys. Beating the Man Us & Chelseas is great but you also need a side that can grind out a result against dogged opposition away from home. Fulham will be looking at this & thinking 1 point is a good result & will try & make it tough for Pool..

Return to “World Sports”