England to retain the Ashes - JUST

General sports news and discussions.
Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: England to retain the Ashes - JUST

Post by Zidane » December 8, 2010, 11:36 am

Superb win by England ! =D>
I think Broad could be missed for his batting but with the last two innings being 517-1 and 620-5 maybe not ! :D
Could be a chance for Tremlett to prove his worth with Swann moving up to no.8 and Anderson to no.9 in the batting ?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 8, 2010, 3:30 pm

Looks like Australia will have to find a replacement for Simon Katich for the rest of the series as well.
He has not had exactly a sparkling series so far, in both cases 1 fair score & 1 poor score. Not sure if he would have been replaced if not for the injury though as some changes are required for poor form shown by others so far as well.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket ... 262507.stm

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Nick@AUA » December 8, 2010, 4:09 pm

Where are you Udon guys watching this? Neither UBC or Homecable has the Ashes from what I can see.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 8, 2010, 4:14 pm

Banjo wrote:A couple of stupid old b@stards wanted to have a bit of biffo after the Adelaide Test. :lol:
CRICKET'S greatest grudge exploded in the Adelaide Oval car park when Test legends Ian Chappell and Ian Botham clashed in a fiery confrontation.

Ashes tensions boiled over as Australia plummeted towards defeat as the two greats crossed paths leaving the ground, reigniting a feud that goes back more than 30 years.

English newspaper The Daily Mail reported the pair "had to be pulled apart after a furious bust-up" as they were returning to their hotels after stumps on Monday.

According to a Channel 9 source, "they went for each other and it could have got very nasty if there hadn't been people on hand to keep them apart".

"They might be aged 55 and 67, but neither of them is the type of person to give an inch in the face of conflict," the source said.

Chappell last night confirmed the pair had exchanged words, but denied it got physical and they had to be separated.

"That's straight out of Hans Christian Andersen," Chappell said. "Whoever came up with that story has a very good imagination as well as impaired eyesight and hearing."

Chappell and Botham, two of the game's fiercest competitors and national captains, have despised each other since an incident in the Melbourne Hilton Hotel in 1977 when Botham is alleged to have struck Chappell.

They did, however, work together during the 1988/89 Ashes tour on Channel 9 but production staff kept them on different shifts to avoid on-air disagreements.

The Daily Mail claimed that Chappell muttered something provocative as Botham walked past in the carpark in Adelaide.

A surprised Botham retorted: "What did you say?" When Chappell made another remark, both of them dropped their bags and were at each others' throats before they were quickly separated.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/cricket-l ... 5967040660

It seems that Beefy and Cha-ppelli were sober for this altercation ... imagine the kerfuffle that could occur after a few frothies. Richie Benaud would have his work cut out separating these two!
They got it wrong Banjo, they were actually making love in the Carpark when they were caught by Journalists, get it right Man :D \:D/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 8, 2010, 4:33 pm

What we have seen so far is an English team capable of scoring good runs and an Ozzie attack not capable of getting wickets , or even a breakthru.

England played well and deserved the win, no ifs about this.

What im seeing is the terminating demise of the dominance of Australian cricket for the last 2 decades,

We are now loosing series, on the trot and sadly no matter what the selectors give Punter next test, its going to be a huge effort to overcome a confident English side.

We cant take wickets and we are not getting runs, a simple summary.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 8, 2010, 5:38 pm

Nick@AUA wrote:Where are you Udon guys watching this? Neither UBC or Homecable has the Ashes from what I can see.
Live streaming on the net Nick. There are quite a few showing it for free. A couple of recommendations at the start of this thread.

Agree 100% wazza, but England are not exactly a team of world beaters either. They are well in front after the first two Tests but a bad third Test & Australia would be right back on top.
I know that I am not exactly positive towards the England team but that is because I think they are not much less fragile than the Australian side. However all will be forgiven & forgotten by me if they can win the next one as well & so retain the Ashes... :D :D

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » December 8, 2010, 6:27 pm

wazza wrote:What we have seen so far is an English team capable of scoring good runs and an Ozzie attack not capable of getting wickets , or even a breakthru.

England played well and deserved the win, no ifs about this.

What im seeing is the terminating demise of the dominance of Australian cricket for the last 2 decades,

We are now loosing series, on the trot and sadly no matter what the selectors give Punter next test, its going to be a huge effort to overcome a confident English side.

We cant take wickets and we are not getting runs, a simple summary.
Ayup wazz , reading ur post made me feel so down and depressed , thinking of all those glum ozzie cricket fans caused a tear from the eye of mr mash to fall into his wild pink salmon bagette , i feel for you and all who cheer the OZ team . NOW YOU KNOW HOW THE POMS HAVE FELT FOR BLOODY AGES !!

Mash ....... has a heart , and lots of quality food products !!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 8, 2010, 7:05 pm

I enjoyed the last 2 decades Mr mash and I am a good looser also.

wazza
udonmap.com

Pietersen - Caught out - finally

Post by wazza » December 9, 2010, 6:03 pm

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 9, 2010, 10:07 pm

Feel sorry for the guy .......... doing 121kph in a lambo .......... couldn't have known it was a manuel, and there was a SECOND/THIRD/FOURTH & FIFTH gear

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 10, 2010, 7:12 am

yep , that was it

the mannual box confused him

Yes, No, wait

Cop Says Sorry

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 10, 2010, 7:28 am

I reckon he should be deported straight back home.

Pietermaritzburg, Natal isn't it? :-"

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 10, 2010, 7:35 am

Jack

u need to get ur geo graphy fixed, or retune ur google maps

Ur referring to South Africa here !

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 10, 2010, 2:04 pm

Hughes, Smith, Beer & Johnson in Australia squad for third Ashes Test, Marcus North, Doug Bollinger and Xavier Doherty dropped
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket ... 274782.stm

Meanwhile England second stream bowlers have been vying against Victoria to see who should be favourite to take Chris Broads' place.
Seems none of them at this rate. Victoria have just declared their first innings at 216 for 2. Hill was not out for 105 & Hussey not out on 67.
Tremlett was economical conceding 29 runs off 15 overs, but could not take a wicket. Shahzad was also wicket-less but had 47 runs scored off his 19 overs. Bresnan took one but at a cost of 56 off 18 overs. Panesar also took 1 off 15 overs for 53 conceded & only succeeded in bowling 1 maiden.
Not sure what that proves as far as the selectors goes.
Tremlett would probably prove to be a steady choice, but England will need to take wickets. Shahzad is inconsistent but can be quite a handful if the ball swings at all. Bresnan hustles & bustles and makes things happen if there is any chance of that being. :D Also has a surprisingly high batting average - where as the other two are normal bowler dross.
Finally there is Panesar. Frankly I can't see him get a Test bowl unless Swann has to have an enforced rest, his batting & fielding status is legendary & not for their brilliance.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 10, 2010, 7:44 pm

Ashes - Australia turn to Beer for third Test

Not an unexpected headline, but ............ :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 11, 2010, 2:56 pm

The famous Christmas test is going to be played at Melbourne, where England are currently playing Victoria. Does not look like it will be producing anything except another batting display if the current match is anything to go by.
After England struggled to get more than 2 wickets in the first innings, Victoria declared at 216.
England replied in like & eventually declared on 184 for just the 2 openers gone.
Second innings & Victoria have managed 278 more while losing 6 wickets.
Seems the groundsman has some sort of vendetta going against bowlers.... :D
England got fed up & gave everyone a bowl.
As the captain has not been playing well in the tests with a bat & so must feel under pressure he tried to influence the selectors with a bid for Broads' all rounder slot. Sort of backfired for him though. Although he was only 1 of 3 second innings wicket takers he had the less than glorious figures of 1 for 51 off 4 overs.
Morgan is another who must feel his chances of replacing Pietersen, after his last test knock, are rapidly disappearing and attempted to hoodwink the selectors into thinking he was in the side as a bowler. Sadly his 0 for 37 off 3 overs might have been good enough to give him a shot in the current Aussie team, but not in the English... :D
Collingwood was best bowler with 3 for 19 off 6 overs but he is already in the squad, so it is difficult to say what the England management have learnt from this game..
Tremlett, Bresnan & Shahzad have not embarrassed themselves, but they have not shown much penetration either. With the wickets looking pretty placid so far in the contest the bowler cannot simply chuck it down & hope for the best. They have to have some sort of 'surprise' up their sleeve or plan to induce a batsman error.

Banjo
udonmap.com
Location: Surfing with Eudyptula minor, shooting vermin or philandering in a Soi

Post by Banjo » December 12, 2010, 3:43 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Feel sorry for the guy .......... doing 121kph in a lambo .......... couldn't have known it was a manuel, and there was a SECOND/THIRD/FOURTH & FIFTH gear
Baa humbug .... a $239 speeding fine and loss of 3 demerit points :-k I suggest a far more reasonable penalty is at least the next 4 weeks in the Slamma! :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 12, 2010, 3:56 pm

The match against Victoria ended in a draw. England rather clung on to finish the day at 211 for 6.
Prior managed to get his bat on the ball for 102 unbeaten, but none of the other English batsmen impressed the scorers over much. Morgan will be sad to have got out for 6 when he needed a giant of a score to put pressure on Pietersen. Bresnan also came in early with a chance to bat himself into Broad's place but was out for a small 19.
Strauss did not come in until 6 men were out & stayed there until end of play with Prior on an unbeaten 22.

Not too sure that the game helped answer any selector questions for England. I am sure nothing would have changed for the 3rd. Test if not for the Broad injury. No one forced himself into the spotlight with either bat or ball (except wicket keeper Prior :D ) so I guess they will go with whatever their original thoughts were on that replacement, but none fills me with much enthusiasm..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 15, 2010, 1:26 pm

Well 1 day to go before the Test at Perth begins.
England must be on a high after the Adelaide Test last week, but the statistics do not look good for them at the Waca.
The Waca is traditionally the fastest pitch in Australia and the home side have lost just once in 11 Tests against England in Perth - their only defeat coming 32 years ago.
So a lot to overcome. Beeb sources reckon
Australia may field a four-man pace attack and bowl first if captain Ricky Ponting wins the toss in the third Ashes Test against England in Perth.

Mitchell Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus are set to be recalled and could play with Ryan Harris and Peter Siddle, while Shane Watson provides a fifth option.
I suspect that Strauss would probably fancy an early bowl as well so the toss could be important.
I am not sure how quick this pitch will be as the 2 other Test pitches have been a bit on the placid side. Unless it is going to break up considerably though I fancy that it will certainly offer the bowlers a bit more early on.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » December 15, 2010, 1:31 pm

I see to join in the Ashes fun BIG C have got a special on boxes of tissues with the OZ flag on , buy 1 get 5 free !! so wazza and all his buddies better get down there before they sell out .

BARMY ARMY ... BARMY ARMY !!

Return to “World Sports”