Boxing

General sports news and discussions.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Boxing

Post by BobHelm » December 26, 2009, 9:10 pm

I was disappointed about the Mayweather v Pacquiao fight being called off, but even more disappointed about the reasons & the aftermath.
Is Mayweather genuinely worried that Pacquiao enhances his performance with drugs, or was it just something they knew would wind him up, because they really didn't want the fight??
Equally with Pacquiao, if you are drug free then why not agree to any drug testing scheme that any sporting body has deemed appropriate to try & ensure a drug free sport.
Pacquiao now says he will sue anybody & everybody about it......protest to much???? I do not know, but leaves a very nasty taste with me.... :(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/8430611.stm

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 26, 2009, 9:18 pm

odd indeed -- from both camps.

Why would anyone refuse a drug test -- unless...

Sorta like the police asking you to open the trunk of your car. If you know you're clean ...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 30, 2009, 10:57 am

Well it looks like the fight is not necessarily off, talked just "stalled". Nevada State Athletic commission are attempting to assist with the suggestion of urine tests. This should cease Pacquiao fears as his reason for be anti blood testing is claimed to be
Pacquiao's camp is against random tests in the 30 days prior to the fight, the Filipino claiming losing blood weakens him, while Mayweather's team is insistent upon them.
Seems a little weak (excuse the pun) in the way of excuses, they take enough to test, not for a transfusion. :D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/8432085.stm

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 5, 2010, 10:13 am

Undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr will fight WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley in Las Vegas on 1 May.
Full story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/8497475.stm
Looks like Mayweather has moved on & given up on the Pac Man fight. Leaves a bit of a 'bad taste' with me, but I guess we will never know what the truth of the matter is...
Of this actual fight...few give Mosely much of a chance and Mayweather does appear to be improving, if that was possible. :D

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » March 12, 2010, 8:28 am

Manny Pacquiao fights Joshua Clotty this coming Sunday morning (Udon time). Preliminaries start at 08:00. TrueVision carries the fight on TrueSport 5 (channel 105). Home cable may carry the fight as well, but I am not sure.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » March 14, 2010, 8:34 am

Conflicting info. Today the channel guide says preliminaries start at 09:00.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » March 14, 2010, 11:33 am

The main event between Pacquaio and Clottey is about to begin, finally. A pretty good prelim card with Soto putting a beating onto Diaz in a lightweight championship bout.

Does Manny still have it?

Robtaff
udonmap.com

Post by Robtaff » March 15, 2010, 3:56 am

Superb performance by Manny against his durable foe. Clottey seemed content to stay behind his high guard. I had thought he'd have been more adventurous as he was the much bigger man. Almost a shut-out by Manny - I gave Joshua only one round.

With regards to Danny Green - it has to be taken into context that he was fighting an absolute shell of a fighter in Roy Jones Jnr. RJJ would have spanked and toyed with the limited Danny back in the days. Roy fights 'oldman' Hopkins next and is headed for another defeat - pity that these fighters go on way too long. (Roy beat Bhop when both in their primes -the result of their upcoming fight means nothing to their legacies.

On another topic here is Oscar De La Hoya giving his thoughts on Hatton, Manny vs Floyd, David Haye and Amir Con. :D
http://www.ringnews24.com/index.php/sit ... -hoya.html

trubrit
udonmap.com

Re: Harry Carpenter .

Post by trubrit » March 23, 2010, 7:15 am

Sad News. The death has just been announced of the death at the age of 84, of Harry Carpenter. The voice of boxing .
Thanks for a lifetime of commentaries Harry. RIP.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/front_page/8580058.stm

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 5, 2010, 11:02 am

When I was a lad :D the world championship to win was the Heavyweight.
OK since then we have more 3 letter Organisations, each with their own championships, and Heavyweight often means Overweight but the division really is in a poor state now.
On Saturday Briton Haye fought American Ruiz in Manchester with Haye defending his WBA heavyweight crown for the first time. Ruiz is getting on as a sportsman (at 38) but had not been stopped in the last 14 years of his career. It all went wrong for Ruis after only 25 seconds of the contest when Haye dropped him to the floor. He got up & fought on gallantly for a further 9 rounds but the only way Haye was ever going to lose was by falling to the floor with exhaustion after hitting his opponent so many times.
Haye won the title from a giant of a man named Valuev. He was pretty much brushed aside but, in typical boxing fashion, has the right to face Haye again next.
It looks like he will be offered cash to bypass his right as it is doubtful that the fight would generate enough cash for the purses even if it was held in Manchester.
Next favourites for Haye are either of the Ukrainian Klitschkos brothers who now fight out of Germany. Vitali is the WBC title-holder & brother Wladimir is owner of the IBF and WBO belts. They are both big lads, but with rather a 'Russian' approach & style to boxing (upright & hit without being hit). Haye would stand a chance against either because he hits so hard & so often & it would undoubtedly be a good pay day too.
A genuine all European contested Heavyweight World Championship would be something to see and might start to regain some of the glory the division once had.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » April 5, 2010, 11:11 am

I agree, the heavyweight division hasn't been worth watching since Iron Mike flamed out.
I don't care for the Klitschkos' conservative style. It might be successful, but it's not exciting.

Would like to see an exciting heavyweight fight irrespective of where the fighters come from.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 12, 2010, 11:05 am

Wednesday night Danny Green will fight Manny Siaca from Puerto Rico. This could be an interesting contest.......http://news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,,26 ... 01,00.html

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Boxing

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 29, 2015, 10:48 am

Bit of a SHOCK ....... but Britain has a new Heavyweight Boxing World Champion ... as Tyson Fury out classes and out points Vlad Klistskco in Dusseldorf ... UNANIMOUS by all judges and Vlad admits the best man on the night won and of course now wants are match .

WELL DONE TO Tyson seems all his pre fight hype was justified.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

socksy
udonmap.com

Boxing

Post by socksy » February 27, 2016, 5:32 am

A reminder that the much anticipated 'grudge' Super Bantamweight world title unification fight between Carl Frampton and Scott Quigg takes place on Saturday night in Manchester (estimated time is 0545 hours Sunday Thai time). It is on Pay per view on Sky Sports but I believe it's being shown live on Fox Sports as well. Only drawback may be the fact that Tyson Fury is expected to be a ringside ('ring piece' :-" ) Pundit.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

kulsungkham
udonmap.com

Boxing

Post by kulsungkham » July 31, 2016, 10:51 am

Carl Frampton wins by majority decision!

And he’s done it! Guido Cavalleri scored it 114-114, but Frank Lombardi (116-112) and Tom Schreck (117-111) both had it for Frampton. This place is going crazy! Carl Frampton is the new WBA featherweight champion, capturing the very belt his manager Barry McGuigan won three decades ago. =D>

kulsungkham
udonmap.com

Post by kulsungkham » August 21, 2016, 11:36 am

UFC202 Conor McGregor beats Nate Diaz on majority decision, One each and 3rd rematch coming up.

Judges scorecard: 48-47 McGregor, 47-47 drawn, 48-47 McGregor.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 10, 2021, 5:42 pm

Cracking heavyweight fight ..Fury v Wilder 3 ....5 knock downs n loads of razzamatazz . Fury is the K I N G but Wilder pushed him all the way in one of the best fights ever

Highlights via YT

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 10, 2021, 5:53 pm

OK as far as boxing goes, but if you want to see a proper fight" it has to be Chelsea v Leeds 1970

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 11, 2021, 9:19 am

Here we go again .. some so called boxing YT idiots now saying that Tyson Fury was counted out in the 4th round but the bias paid off ref gave him longer than the 10 count .. these fookwits need to read up on the rules as the 10 count is interupted whilst the ref instructs the other fighter to a neutral corner furthest away from the downed fighter .. then the 10 count resumes .. thats why after a knock down.fighters move as quickly as possible to get to the neutral corner...the fact Wilder took a second or 2 to get neutral isnt a factor .. its the rules and they werent in any way bent as suggested.

Wilder has come out and finally admitted he was beaten by the better guy and 100% credit to him .. he fought brilliantly but just wasnt good enough .. he did go out on his shield which is commendable... and i hope no more cheat allegations sour this ...hopefully the last time the 2 will meet.

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 11, 2021, 10:08 am

Leave them alone DM, they cannot help it , best ignore the petty small minded and concentrate on your business, certainly will not suffer from ignoring the know it alls. ...lol

Return to “World Sports”