Map of Vientiane, Laos

Information & Travel
aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 24, 2007, 7:36 pm

very good topic I hate to see it die keep those post coming enjoy reading about lao

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » July 31, 2007, 10:10 am

Prenders88 wrote:Thanks Lee it's looking good.
In front of the walking track, there are lots of open air restaurants on the "Beach".
We always stay in Lang Xang on the river front.
Looked for a thread in here on Vientiane hotels but couldn't find it. The older forum archives is hosed and unable to find much in there. :(

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in Vientiane? Read reviews on Lane Xang and did stay there some 35 years ago. Upper floor rooms have view of river and fairly cheap at approx 1000 baht. Called newer Tai-pan Hotel. No river view, they said, and cost 2 to 3 times more than Lane Xang. Any others? :-k

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » July 31, 2007, 12:04 pm

http://www.passionasia.com/vientiane_hotels.cfm

Polehawk, I've found this, the rates at the Lang Xang have gone up from $33 to $40. How much has Vientiane changed in 35 years? I know it's old and saggy at the seams but the location is good and the staff are friendly.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 31, 2007, 12:18 pm

I stayed in a hotel around the corner of the day market it was clean & cheap 800baht a day with a/c they do have cheeper rooms without a/c the joke was on me since I did not use it and paid for it I will search my photos I took a photo of my wife in front of the hotel I will post it when I find it so you have some idea were it is Now this was last year in August 06 have not been back since I got a 1 year visa (retirement)

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 31, 2007, 1:59 pm

Hey Ron,

On our last trip we stood in a hotel a few steps away from the Tourist Police, it was adequate (A/C, hot water) for 600 bt a night. However, we heard later of another hotel about hundred yards away that was just as good for 650 and includes breakfast. Both are situated on Lane-Xang Ave close proximity to the Tourist police between the night market and fountain park.

Khamkhoun Hotel
Lane-Xang Ave
Ph. (856-21) 22 34 75, 26 36 73
FAX: 26 36 74
[email protected]

BTW, they also have a small restaurant with both Laos & western food (burgers & fries), we had breakfast and the food was very good.

Semper Fi ;)

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 31, 2007, 5:55 pm

Hi Papaguido yes I saw the police box a short distance from the US Embassy it on the same street I was on now I remember I was across from BKK Bank let me ask you is Guido your last name because my first wife last name was Guido it a popular italian name and she is still my friend a very good women I screwed that marriage up I found the photo but it seems there is no place to upload it

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 31, 2007, 7:57 pm

aznyron wrote:Hi Papaguido yes I saw the police box a short distance from the US Embassy it on the same street I was on now I remember I was across from BKK Bank let me ask you is Guido your last name because my first wife last name was Guido it a popular italian name and she is still my friend a very good women I screwed that marriage up I found the photo but it seems there is no place to upload it
No not Italian, I'm Mexican-American. Papaguido was a nickname (call sign) I pick up in the USMC.

wilson_smith
udonmap.com

Post by wilson_smith » July 31, 2007, 9:07 pm

Roy wrote:
No knocking shops allowed in Vientienne
Not sure about that PP.
When I did a visa run I stayed at a small but well known hotel and the TW and I had a meal then decided to go up for a drink in the karaoke bar.
Let me tell you that it was no karaoke bar :shock:
Stayed for a few beer Laos' though and every time I went to the tiolet I was followed by a gentleman who insisted I come back when the wife was asleep!
She woke just as I was sneeking out the door :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
and the name of the hotel is? :oops:

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » July 31, 2007, 10:36 pm

Prenders88 wrote:http://www.passionasia.com/vientiane_hotels.cfm

Polehawk, I've found this, the rates at the Lang Xang have gone up from $33 to $40. How much has Vientiane changed in 35 years? I know it's old and saggy at the seams but the location is good and the staff are friendly.
Thanks for that link, Prenders88. This will be my first trip to Laos since the '70s but will give my impressions of the changes. Too bad we don't have some old Air America guys in here. They are the ones who could really give us a rundown of the place although all of the conversations seem to include White Rose Bar and Lulu's establishment. :lol:

Papaguido wrote:
Hey Ron,

On our last trip we stood in a hotel a few steps away from the Tourist Police, it was adequate (A/C, hot water) for 600 bt a night. However, we heard later of another hotel about hundred yards away that was just as good for 650 and includes breakfast. Both are situated on Lane-Xang Ave close proximity to the Tourist police between the night market and fountain park.

Khamkhoun Hotel
Lane-Xang Ave
Ph. (856-21) 22 34 75, 26 36 73
FAX: 26 36 74
[email protected]

BTW, they also have a small restaurant with both Laos & western food (burgers & fries), we had breakfast and the food was very good.

Semper Fi ;)
Thanks for the tips on places to stay, aznyron and Rito. Decided to give the old, seedy Lane Xang a shot if we can get a room with a view of the Mekong. Looking forward to sipping a few of the Beer Lao and seeing some sights around town.

Semper Fi =D>

neildoc

Post by neildoc » February 1, 2008, 4:46 pm

The Australian Recreation Club is now closed.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Re: Map of Vientiane, Laos

Post by Prenders88 » September 4, 2010, 4:03 pm

Stayed in the Khamkhoun Hotel, not really a Hotel, more a guest house.

1000 baht a night, very expensive for what it is.
Very old and needs upgrading.
Lots of Western food available.

Breakfast was included but was just toast, jam and butter, coffee.

Found much cheaper places near the Fountain Circle for 800 baht.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 5, 2010, 11:01 am

map is fairly accurate but really should be updated if possible. Aussie embassy is moved outside of town near the Japanese embassy.. Many new hotels/guest houses throughout downtown after the Asian Games...

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 5, 2010, 12:01 pm

I always use the Hobomaps versions, has buckets of bars/restuarants/hotels/shopping etc etc, but I just had a look at their website and only the first of three maps open, have emailed them to see if they can sort it out.

You can open one central map and zoom in and out here: (Ctrl+ and Ctrl-)
http://hobomaps.com/VientianeCentralMap.html

The page with the three maps is:
http://hobomaps.com/vientianemain.htm

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 5, 2010, 12:26 pm

Good info Chriss =D>

Thanks for the maps links.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » September 5, 2010, 4:26 pm

Those Maps are Brilliant Chriss, thanks very much =D> :D

ScorpioPower
udonmap.com

Post by ScorpioPower » September 6, 2010, 11:20 am

Youth Inn 2 gets my vote.

It's at the bottom of Rue Francois Nginn just opposite Wat Mixay.

300 baht a night for a clean basic room with hot shower, proper toilet and a fan duing rainy season. Extra if you want air-con. The price goes up to 400 a night during the sunny season.

Arrive before 2pm to avoid intense disappointment. The place is always very busy.

And beer monsters, ladies of the nght and portable stereos are strictly forbidden!

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » September 6, 2010, 12:08 pm

Who wants a drunk lady-of-the-night with a stereo? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not me, I prefer the non-drinkers... (hardly exist)

Cheers
Joe

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 6, 2010, 6:59 pm

Just got a reply from Hobomaps and here are the links to the 2 Vientiane street maps their website currently have.

http://hobomaps.com/VientianeCityMap.html
http://hobomaps.com/VientianeCentralMap.html

Return to “Laos”