Driving Into Laos From Thailand

Information & Travel
SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » August 4, 2015, 3:54 pm

What's the process for driving a car from Thailand into Laos at The Friendship Bridge? Our car is paid off. I assume our Thai insurance is invalid in Laos, but I heard you can buy car insurance at the bridge. Any tips/suggestions appreciated.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 4, 2015, 6:09 pm

SkyyWalker wrote:What's the process for driving a car from Thailand into Laos at The Friendship Bridge? Our car is paid off. I assume our Thai insurance is invalid in Laos, but I heard you can buy car insurance at the bridge. Any tips/suggestions appreciated.
You'll NEED A Car Passport.............I Believe you get them at The Land Transport Office ( I May be wrong ) But Someone will tell you where to get it....Otherwise you CANNOT Take your Car across " The Bridge ) into Laos....

BTW..If you do get one & go,Remember to drive on the WRONG Side ( Rightside ) off the road... :lol: :lol:

Little Italian Udon
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Little Italian Udon » August 4, 2015, 11:39 pm

the owner must be in the car and insurance at the bridge is about 500 baht.car passport only cost 60 baht for one year.

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » August 5, 2015, 3:08 am

747man wrote:
SkyyWalker wrote:What's the process for driving a car from Thailand into Laos at The Friendship Bridge? Our car is paid off. I assume our Thai insurance is invalid in Laos, but I heard you can buy car insurance at the bridge. Any tips/suggestions appreciated.
You'll NEED A Car Passport.............I Believe you get them at The Land Transport Office ( I May be wrong ) But Someone will tell you where to get it....Otherwise you CANNOT Take your Car across " The Bridge ) into Laos....

BTW..If you do get one & go,Remember to drive on the WRONG Side ( Rightside ) off the road... :lol: :lol:
Nice one, 747! =D> Just to clarify, I'll be be driving on the "correct" side of the road while driving on the wrong side of the Toyota! =D>

Anyhoo, let's have a drink or 4 in NK on my way there. Deal??

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 5, 2015, 1:41 pm

Sky, I'd love to have a Drink with you,But the ONE Big Problem is that I DON'T Drink Alcohol due to being Diabetic..But Thanks for the kind offer, Anyhoo......

But have a Good Trip & Be Careful as IMHO Those Lao Drivers are WORSE Than Thai Drivers when they get behind the wheel....Good Luck..

marklv
udonmap.com

Post by marklv » August 21, 2015, 9:55 am

Here's what I need to bring with me to get my car past the border police:
1) Original yellow house book (not photocopy)
2) Original blue book for car (not photocopy)
3) Purple passport book for car

Thai cars are very popular with the Lao police. They like to ask for:
1) Drivers license
2) International driving permit
3) Proof of insurance

At the Thai side of the border, you need to fill out four pages of documents, that seem to apply to ships and planes rather than cars, so a lot of the information can be left blank. If you cross the border regularly, it's convenient to keep photocopies and sign and date the copies each time.

If you cross at off-hours, the Thai police will ask for an overtime fee of 20 baht, and the Lao police will ask for an extra 10000 kip. Each time you cross the bridge with a sedan, you need to pay 20 baht on leaving Thailand and 5000 kip on both entering and leaving Laos.

There's a 25000 kip tax for sedans on entering Laos and staying up to two weeks. This tax is posted in front of a booth that isn't usually used , so you probably won't see it.The Lao police will demand an extra 15000 kip (40000 kip total) not including the overtime fee. They will give you a receipt for 25000 kip, regardless of what you pay. If you want to stay longer, you can return to the border later, and pay more money. That is cheaper than having your car overstay the two weeks. (I think the fine is about $10 per day).

It's generally cheaper to pay the Lao fees and taxes for your car in kip, and beware of Lao police "forgetting" to give change.

Beware of Lao drivers. They're worse than Thais.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 21, 2015, 11:00 am

A Damn lot EASIER to Get The BUS Across......

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » August 21, 2015, 11:15 am

marklv wrote:Here's what I need to bring with me to get my car past the border police:
1) Original yellow house book (not photocopy)
2) Original blue book for car (not photocopy)
3) Purple passport book for car

Thai cars are very popular with the Lao police. They like to ask for:
1) Drivers license
2) International driving permit
3) Proof of insurance

At the Thai side of the border, you need to fill out four pages of documents, that seem to apply to ships and planes rather than cars, so a lot of the information can be left blank. If you cross the border regularly, it's convenient to keep photocopies and sign and date the copies each time.

If you cross at off-hours, the Thai police will ask for an overtime fee of 20 baht, and the Lao police will ask for an extra 10000 kip. Each time you cross the bridge with a sedan, you need to pay 20 baht on leaving Thailand and 5000 kip on both entering and leaving Laos.

There's a 25000 kip tax for sedans on entering Laos and staying up to two weeks. This tax is posted in front of a booth that isn't usually used , so you probably won't see it.The Lao police will demand an extra 15000 kip (40000 kip total) not including the overtime fee. They will give you a receipt for 25000 kip, regardless of what you pay. If you want to stay longer, you can return to the border later, and pay more money. That is cheaper than having your car overstay the two weeks. (I think the fine is about $10 per day).

It's generally cheaper to pay the Lao fees and taxes for your car in kip, and beware of Lao police "forgetting" to give change.

Beware of Lao drivers. They're worse than Thais.
Proof of insurance, well your Thai insurance is not valid out of Thailand. You need to get insurance in Laos there are a couple of companies just after you drive through the Laos check point on the right hand side of the road. It is not expensive a few hundred Baht for a week.

marklv
udonmap.com

Post by marklv » August 21, 2015, 12:20 pm

reddevil wrote:Proof of insurance, well your Thai insurance is not valid out of Thailand. You need to get insurance in Laos there are a couple of companies just after you drive through the Laos check point on the right hand side of the road. It is not expensive a few hundred Baht for a week.
I meant proof of Lao insurance, not Thai insurance. The insurance you get at the border for a few hundred baht probably isn't very good, but it will satisfy the police until you have an accident.

marklv
udonmap.com

Post by marklv » August 21, 2015, 12:23 pm

747man wrote:A Damn lot EASIER to Get The BUS Across......
Not if you want to avoid tuk-tuk drivers in Vientiane.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 21, 2015, 6:15 pm

marklv wrote:
747man wrote:A Damn lot EASIER to Get The BUS Across......
Not if you want to avoid tuk-tuk drivers in Vientiane.
Oh Really !!!.....Their "Pussycats " :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 22, 2015, 11:10 am

Couple of question to educate me

Does all of that paperwork and book copies, license, insurance stuff have to be produced if my Thai missus drives across? I would just get out and meet her on the other side.

Do the Thai's make it just as hard for the hundreds of Laos cars venturing across each week?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 22, 2015, 11:13 am

Barney Asked.....
Do the Thai's make it just as hard for the hundreds of Laos cars venturing across each week?
Seems NOT,Yer can't move for Lao Cars in Nong Khai, Especially at the Weekend......

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » August 22, 2015, 3:27 pm

Barney wrote:Couple of question to educate me

Does all of that paperwork and book copies, license, insurance stuff have to be produced if my Thai missus drives across? I would just get out and meet her on the other side.

Same all the documents are for the car not you or your missus.

marklv
udonmap.com

Post by marklv » August 23, 2015, 12:07 am

reddevil wrote:
Barney wrote:Couple of question to educate me
Lao drivers have it worse, but it's the Lao governement not the Thai counterpart that makes it hard for them. The hassle seems to occur in the home country of the vehicle. However, it isn't hard driving a car to Laos, once you've done it before and have your paperwork in order. I think the biggest hassle is getting the Lao visa, not bringing your car.

Return to “Laos”