Going to Laos, need a few travel tips

Information & Travel
T Bone
udonmap.com

Going to Laos, need a few travel tips

Post by T Bone » August 18, 2010, 3:08 am

I will be going across the bridge to Laos next month and I have never been before, so I am looking for a few tips from the well traveled UM members who know about such things.
The handbrake has decided that we should go for a couple of days because "shopping mai pang"
Whatever, if it makes her happy it can't be that bad, I have no great interest in seeing anything there other than a friendly pub or two.
I have lived in LOS for donkeys years already and have been all over asia so I know what I like to do, but I also know what I must do, which is keep the missus happy at all times, so off to Laos we go.
We are just down the road from Nong Khai (phen) so its a quick trip up to the checkpoint, no worrries there.
Whats the drill for going across? I think its US dollars for a visa for me, but she probably just flashes her ID card and waltzes in like she owns the place?
Where should we go for 1 or 2 nights, straight to Viengchan or is there someplace else that a thirsty farang might want to stay for a night or 2 that also has the fabeled "mai pang shopping"
What transport is the best and what touts are to be avoided across the bridge? How long is the drive to Vientiane?
Does anyone have a recommendation for hotels, hopefully near some mild entertainment areas?
Nothing too wild as the ball 'n chain doesn't quite appreciate asian nightlife the same way as I do, a restaraunt / pub with live music and those cute laos dancers would be alright.
Doing this trip on the cheap is not a factor, I just want it to be as painless as possible.
Maybe there are some ex Udon lads that have set up shop over there that I should send a little business their way?

arjay
udonmap.com

Re: Going to Laos, need a few travel tips

Post by arjay » August 18, 2010, 9:14 am

T Bone, take a look here, there is a wealth of information already available, on several existing threads:

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/laos.html

Your TW will need a visitors pass.
You should have a photo for your Lao visa on arrival, as well as your 30/35 dollars.
Shopping in Lao can be expensive.
Drink beer Laos - the best
Vientiane about 25 kms/25 mins drive from bridge.
Ignore touts, though very few these days.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » August 18, 2010, 9:45 am

Hi,
T.Bone. Depends what country you passport is from. A British passport last time I went cost 35USD at the Lao side to get through. There are varying rates for different countries. Thai wife only had to pay, I think 50B at Lao side. Get USD. before you go, do not change on bridge. Rip off IMO. Never stayed overnight so can not recommend a hotel. I believe they are doing the bank of the Mekon up like the one at N.K. Let us know what progress etc. they have made. You can get a bus on the Lao side around about 60B into V., Might have gone up now. and might have to wait. I myself would take a taxi, far easier and less hassle. I travel by myself, so I try to share a taxi, last time with 2 others cost me 100B. But you have to bargain with them. Take Bhat with you, Only carry a little local money to pay for small things. ATM's pay out in local money. A million Kip is worth next to nothing.
Have you thought of taking a trip to the bridge, Thai side, and go into some of the travel shops there. Some do a good deal, have to check out a few, for best deals, and seeing it is your first time they will take you through and show you the ropes. and arrange all transport, and photos, and USD for you, in the price. Also you can book a hotel from them and they will arrange for you to be picked up at the Lao side of the bridge by the hotel transport. Once you have done it you'll know the ropes for next time, and mybe do it cheaper.
Anyway T have a good trip.

udonthani
udonmap.com

Post by udonthani » August 18, 2010, 4:57 pm

I have been to Laos many times and without any hassle :D . Do not use the visa shops on Thai side, they are not worth the price, just got to the border and up to the window saying, Visa and get the application , remember to have a picture, fill out the paper, put the picture with it, and pay 1500bht, sit down and wait on the other window. After aprox. 15 min. they will call you, and you can pass without any problems, not even bother to pay 50 bht on arrival. Negotiate a good price with the cab drivers outside and off you go. Your GF need to have a Thai border pass, which she can get in Nongkhai, the office is aprox. 2 km from the crossing on the left side of the road, big red new building, she have to show her ID card and pay 30bht, thats all. In Vientiane. there is many interesting things to see, just tell the driver, and he will take you to the places of interest, do not use ehe exchange office at the border, but bring some Kip for small trade otherwise use Bht or dls, kip is worthless. There are many goog hotels in V. and they speak French or English pretty good, std. is good, provided you choose a good hotel.
Enjoy your trip.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 18, 2010, 8:59 pm

T Bone don't forget to get a re-entry permit for Thailand if you are on a long stay visa. You'll need a pic, 1000B and a completed re-entry permit form.

T Bone
udonmap.com

Post by T Bone » August 19, 2010, 2:52 am

Thanks to all for the quick and very informative replies. I did discover the previous threads on this subject about 10 minutes after I made the initial post and was expecting to be roasted over the coals for not knowing that, so thanks for your friendly and helpful responses.
I have read that the riverfront has been under extensive construction this year, lets hope it is nearly complete.
So how much beer lao can I bring back across the thai border or is it for sale in Udon at a similar price?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 19, 2010, 5:50 am

T Bone wrote: So how much beer lao can I bring back across the thai border or is it for sale in Udon at a similar price?
I brought back a case once without any problems.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » August 19, 2010, 6:53 am

The riverfront is nowhere near finished, most of it is still in the ground flattening stage. Was there a month ago. For a hotel I used the Lao Orchid, nice enough clean and tidy and a good location paid US$40 for one night. There are hotels nearer the shopping mall but for a bit of nightlife, restuarants etc anywhere in the region of the Orchid is good.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Re: Going to Laos. Duty free.

Post by trubrit » August 19, 2010, 7:18 am

My wife and a few of her friends went over to get some duty free yesterday. This is some examples of prices available, but remember there are many shops and they may have been cheaper , or dearer, than the ones they bought in . Firstly beer. Most of the European ones were more expensive than here and Thai beers about the same. So not worth the effort. The Laos beers were about 20bht per can and 45 the big one, so about the same as Leo here, bearing in mind how heavy they are unless your really a Laos beer aficionado , you might not want to lug them around.Scotch, about 150bht cheaper than the same brand here, but beware, in the past some my friends have bought has definitely been dodgy, so I would question the wisdom of getting it .Liqueurs are a reasonable saving and because comparatively low volume obviously there not worth copying so safe buy .For 1ltr, Baileys, 614bht, Drambuie 743bht, Grand Marnier 808bht, Pernod480bht and Sambuca, 500bht .The real savings are to be made on wine from the mid range , especially if you get the 3&5 ltr boxes .
red and whites from Italy, France and Australia , too many to mention, but all around the 550bht. A little more expensive were the Chilean wines @ 500bht for 3 ltrs . A further tip we have learnt is that you do not have to pay for entry for Thai passport holders on a Wednesday, nor do the customs officers work that day as its apparently always quite . Don't slate me on that last info if on the day you go, they decide to get out of bed .Everything was priced in US dollars and an exchange rate of 32.2 was being used yesterday .
For the ladies. There was a shop selling Gucci , YSL, etc style bags from about 400bht. Reasonable quality .But of course we resisted the temptation . :roll: Happy shopping . :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

T Bone
udonmap.com

Post by T Bone » August 19, 2010, 8:30 am

Cheers all, I have truly come to the right place for advice.
From the info gained from the forum and talking to a few of the boys here (phuket) it looks like the hotel will be the Inter city ( sounds like a football club ) or the Laos Orchid, if I am looking at google correctly they seem to be 1 block apart from each other.
I reckon the missus can find the shopping from there and I am sure that I can find a pub.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » August 20, 2010, 4:16 pm

TBone,
I tried the Inter City on my first trip, very basic scruffy rooms at the cheap end, clean though, limited number of good quality rooms but some have river views.
The Laos Orchid is literally round the corner from the Inter City and in my opinion a better hotel

T Bone
udonmap.com

Post by T Bone » August 21, 2010, 9:53 am

Cheers Chriss,
The Laos Orchid it is then, where is the action from there (shopping and pubs) do we just head East along the river front and go where our wandering shoes take us?
Or maybe better if I let the missus work it all out and follow her around until I get tired of that and find a pub instead?

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » August 21, 2010, 11:35 am

Just head East......go inland a few blocks there's planty of bars and restuarants with all sorts of cuisine. If the wife wants the shopping mall you can walk it but there's usually Tuk Tuk's on the corner between the Inter City and Lao Orchid.

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Post by hangsaboot » August 21, 2010, 2:58 pm

The Laos Orchid it is then, where is the action from there (shopping and pubs) do we just head East along the river front and go where our wandering shoes take us?

i suggest you try the indian restaurants ,
sited on the river front.. delicous curries ,
and a few beer lao damm .. alloy marr , mie pang :D

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » August 21, 2010, 3:02 pm

TBone, I live in Laos.

The Laos Orchid is a nice hotel, however I would suggest you stay at the Souphaphone Guest House, which is directly opposite the Hare and Hounds Hotel. For about $20.00 you will get a nice large room, air, TV and a fridge. The GH is about 1 year old, very clean and very pleasant. The rooms are bigger than the Laos Orchid. I just had a friend stay there for 3 weeks, so that says something.
This is the web site:
http://souphaphone.net/

Shopping is NOT mai peng. We often go to Nong Khai to buy goods as it is cheaper. Wine and spirits are definitely cheaper here though. Go San Kiang Market - take a tuk tuk - it is on the road to the airport on the right hand side. This is the new Chinese Market and is WELL worth an hours or so look around. There are some high quality Chinese goods available there. (No, this is not an oxymoron).

If you want a nice, inexpensive meal, try La Terrassse. This restaurant has a big range of food; the pizzas are excellent, but avoid the steaks. They are ok, but there are better in town. They will let you take your own wine for 20,000kip corkage. Go to Vansome Wine shop at 10 Samsenthai Rd and select an excellent bottle.

If you want a very good quality meal, try La Central for steaks and good fish. They have an excellent rib - 1kg for 2 people. If you like excellent Italian food, go to La Scala. This is a little out of the town centre, on the same road as the Aust Embassy. The food is equivalent to the better Italian restaurants I have eaten at in Australia; they also have an excellent wine list. Try the steak stuffed with Gorgonzola. This place is a little pricier than La terrasse, but the food is excellent.

If you want to try Laos food, go to Kua Laos in Samsenthai Rd. You can bring your own wine for 40,000Kip - about $5.00 corkage, but you save a lot.

You will need 1 passport photo and US30. Don't pay in Baht as suggested above - the exchange rate is poor. Take a tuk tuk or taxi into town.

Entertainment? After dinner, I would head to Borpenyang Bar on Fang Nam Nuhm, the road on the river. There are lots of expats there after about 9.00 and it is fun watching the Laos working girls, and yes, there are some, chat them up. Alternatively, go to Kob Chai Der and have a few ales. Don't eat there - the food is ok, just, but has become expensive of late. The Indian restaurants on the river are salmonella traps - avoid. If you like Turkish food, try Istanbul, in the same soi as the Guesthouse I suggested.

I will keep watching this thread over the next few days, so if you want to ask anything, I'll try to help. Have a geat trip.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » August 21, 2010, 3:13 pm

I forgot to mention, the Pizzas at La Terrasse are superb; much better than that damn Pizza Company stuff. They are about 40,000kip. The desserts are also excellent!

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » August 21, 2010, 3:26 pm

I also notice that one or two posters suggest paying in Baht while you are there. This is poor advice, and actually goes against the official Govt. policy, though vendors will take it , of course. Paying in Kip is invariably cheaper. ATMs are fine. Most ATMs dispense only 700,000 Kip. The ANZ ATMs allow you to withdraw 2 million Kip. However everyone will exchange Baht for you, and there is little difference as to where you change it. Just don't take any back to Los.

T Bone
udonmap.com

Post by T Bone » August 22, 2010, 2:33 am

rufus wrote:TBone, I live in Laos.

The Laos Orchid is a nice hotel, however I would suggest you stay at the Souphaphone Guest House, which is directly opposite the Hare and Hounds Hotel. For about $20.00 you will get a nice large room, air, TV and a fridge. The GH is about 1 year old, very clean and very pleasant. The rooms are bigger than the Laos Orchid. I just had a friend stay there for 3 weeks, so that says something.
This is the web site:
http://souphaphone.net/

Shopping is NOT mai peng. We often go to Nong Khai to buy goods as it is cheaper. Wine and spirits are definitely cheaper here though. Go San Kiang Market - take a tuk tuk - it is on the road to the airport on the right hand side. This is the new Chinese Market and is WELL worth an hours or so look around. There are some high quality Chinese goods available there. (No, this is not an oxymoron).

If you want a nice, inexpensive meal, try La Terrassse. This restaurant has a big range of food; the pizzas are excellent, but avoid the steaks. They are ok, but there are better in town. They will let you take your own wine for 20,000kip corkage. Go to Vansome Wine shop at 10 Samsenthai Rd and select an excellent bottle.

If you want a very good quality meal, try La Central for steaks and good fish. They have an excellent rib - 1kg for 2 people. If you like excellent Italian food, go to La Scala. This is a little out of the town centre, on the same road as the Aust Embassy. The food is equivalent to the better Italian restaurants I have eaten at in Australia; they also have an excellent wine list. Try the steak stuffed with Gorgonzola. This place is a little pricier than La terrasse, but the food is excellent.

If you want to try Laos food, go to Kua Laos in Samsenthai Rd. You can bring your own wine for 40,000Kip - about $5.00 corkage, but you save a lot.

You will need 1 passport photo and US30. Don't pay in Baht as suggested above - the exchange rate is poor. Take a tuk tuk or taxi into town.

Entertainment? After dinner, I would head to Borpenyang Bar on Fang Nam Nuhm, the road on the river. There are lots of expats there after about 9.00 and it is fun watching the Laos working girls, and yes, there are some, chat them up. Alternatively, go to Kob Chai Der and have a few ales. Don't eat there - the food is ok, just, but has become expensive of late. The Indian restaurants on the river are salmonella traps - avoid. If you like Turkish food, try Istanbul, in the same soi as the Guesthouse I suggested.

I will keep watching this thread over the next few days, so if you want to ask anything, I'll try to help. Have a geat trip.

rufus,
Thank you very much for the details, I would certainly qualify you as an expert on the subject.
I will take your kind advise on the Souphaphone Guest House ( no offense to chriss who suggested Laos Orchid ), the Borpenyang Bar on Fang Nam Nuhm ( this sounds like my cup 'o tea ), the Kob Chai Der and the San Kiang Market as these are the targets for this trip over the river, since we are only staying for 2 nights this time.

The restaurants all sound very nice. especially the Italian and I am sure that I would enjoy them, however the missus' tastes are a bit different to mine and she still considers any meal that costs over 200 baht to be a waste of money.
I still consider eating some, but not all, of the things that she eats to be a hazard to my health.

As far as the shopping goes we are not looking to stock up the house on this trip, but just to entertain the missus who always seems to gets enormous satisfaction from getting a 200 baht pair of shorts bartered down to 170 baht, which I will never cease to find highly amusing.

Typical shopping scenario:
The missus is laughing after getting the price on a pair of shorts knocked down from 200 to 170 baht thinking how clever she is. The vendor is laughing for having just sold a pair of shorts for 170 baht and thinking how clever she is.
I am laughing thinking how funny my life in Thailand is.
Cheers

udonuk1
udonmap.com

Post by udonuk1 » August 23, 2010, 12:24 am

Yes i like going to Laos, it is quiet at night, but seems more European than Thailand. Best thing to buy, Number 1 is , well for women , handbags , Kapow, they are such great value , you have to haggle, don't accept the first price. Also the silk skirts that many of the tiny Lao ladies wear, seem good value.
What did i like ? Well the great Lao coffee, but make sure that you buy it within sell-by date, preferably ground a few days or weeks ago. Also , the ubiquitous Lao beer, cheap and wonderful, guided by Carlsberg all my Thai friends say. There seems to be many farang style restaurants , i particularly liked the French ones, juicy steak with pepper sauce 180 baht wow !

I have to say that it was quite difficult to find an ATM that worked, and there is a tiny limit on the amount of Kip you can take . 1 baht is about 250 Kip more or less and the largest note is 100,000 kip = 400 baht ! The Post Office is located at the main bus station near the morning market. There are a few tourist places to visit, monks came and chatted to me when i was visiting the Buddhist places, their robes are dressed in a slightly different way to Thai monks
Anyone flying to Kuala Lumpur will find the AirAsia flight a good bargain from Vientiane. You can even go by train from Udon to Laos, changing at Nong Khai with all the visas, stamps etc easily carried out at the stations(the train uses the same bridge and the cars are stopped from using it when the train crosses). But the track has not reached Vientiane yet, you must get TukTuk to centre of the capital.

There is a duty free shop at the frontier, but behind it, there is a sort of market, where many bargains can be haggled. Wine is the same price at all duty free shops, TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE, buy it in your normal shops in Vientiane , if you can find them.
Tuktuk drivers will quote you inflated prices , compared to Thailand, i thought.
Oh yes one last thing, the filled baguettes, with flossy pork and vegetables, for 20 baht, the tastiest meal i have had in Asia ! A taste of France on your doorstep .

Bon Voyage !

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » August 23, 2010, 1:28 pm

udonuk1, the largest note is 50,000 Kip, not 100,000 as posted by you. Re ATMs, I guess you did not bother to read my post above re the ANZV ATMs. I have never had a problem with ATMs here, by the way. I agree about Laos coffee; it is amongst the best I have tasted anywhere.

Return to “Laos”