Mini Mart Rip Off Vientiane

Information & Travel
Chriss
udonmap.com

Mini Mart Rip Off Vientiane

Post by Chriss » July 17, 2010, 9:05 am

Just got back from a trip to Vientiane and whilst there had this experience in a Mini Mart on Quai Fa Ngum not far from the Tex Mex.

I was standing in line at the cashier behind a bunch of back packing American girls, probably late teens early twenties. They all had a few items each and one by one after paying for their items the guy behind the counter said to them "Look change only 'X' Kip" in the range of 30-45,000 Kip from what I could see, " You leave for me OK"? All of them said OK, I was guessing they didn't have much of a clue as to exchange rates etc, so after he did this to the 7th girl I stepped in and told them they'd each given him about a US$5 tip for nothing. Not much individually but multiplied by 7 and who knows how many times in a day, this guy is earning a nice amount of scam money.

Oh and as soon as they started complaining and asking for their change a, shall we say, rather well built young man took my items out of my hands and pointed to the door......

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Re: Mini Mart Rip Off Vientiane

Post by jai yen yen » July 17, 2010, 9:51 am

So the laos are learning some tricks now too. As more tourists come so do the scams.

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » July 17, 2010, 10:41 am

Chriss, is this the mini mart next to the Orchid guest house?

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » July 17, 2010, 10:54 am

Yes

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 19, 2010, 6:48 am

Cannot tar the country for one bad outlet. Just returned from my 1st extended trip to Vientiane with TW and daughter. Although I knew that Baht was accepted everywhere I was pleased to see it on most price tags and most of our restraunt bins had the total in Kip, Baht and USD. 250 Kip to the baht everywhere, the official x-rate over the weekend was 253 so a good deal.

Instantly fell for Beer Lao, would be my drink of choice if readily available.

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » July 19, 2010, 7:00 am

Instantly fell for Beer Lao, would be my drink of choice if readily available".
I've noticed the morning after with the Beer Lao is not near as bad as the one's with Leo or a "Changover"! :mrgreen:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 19, 2010, 10:27 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:Cannot tar the country for one bad outlet. Just returned from my 1st extended trip to Vientiane with TW and daughter. Although I knew that Baht was accepted everywhere I was pleased to see it on most price tags and most of our restraunt bins had the total in Kip, Baht and USD. 250 Kip to the baht everywhere, the official x-rate over the weekend was 253 so a good deal.

Instantly fell for Beer Lao, would be my drink of choice if readily available.
BD....Well your NOT the first to FALL for Beer Lao,& you certainly WONT be the LAST.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » July 20, 2010, 5:38 pm

I know the people who own this mini mart. They would be mortified to learn of this.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » July 21, 2010, 9:11 am

Let them know maybe the scam will stop.

Return to “Laos”