Vientienne -

Information & Travel
Librarian
Udonmap Sponsor

Vientienne -

Post by Librarian » November 21, 2009, 11:38 am

are Visa Applications in Laos taken 7 days a week ? or is it just Monday to Friday ?

Thanks

The Librarian :D

Shado
udonmap.com

Re: Vientienne -

Post by Shado » November 21, 2009, 11:44 am

Librarian wrote:are Visa Applications in Laos taken 7 days a week ? or is it just Monday to Friday ?

Thanks

The Thai embassy in Vientiene is open Monday thru Friday. Attached is a link to their website. You can click on the English version.

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » November 21, 2009, 11:45 am

If you mean at the Bridge Jon, I believe normal work hours seven days a week. I think it's still $us30 or the equivalent in Baht and you will need two Passport photo's.

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » November 21, 2009, 11:50 am

One photo will be enough to get the visa on arrival to Laos and the price depends on which country you're from (I'm from Holland, did it yesterday and paid $ 35).

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 21, 2009, 11:53 am

visa on arrival, used to be 1 dollar more on weekends and holidays. take USD, always works out cheaper, then there is a money exchange to your left as walking thru passport check, never open, but look at rate. in the past, long time ago, the rate would be something like 250, but exchanges would give only 200, so exchange money in a bank, if hanging out, and ask for large denominations, or you'll need a backpack just for money. :shock:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 21, 2009, 12:06 pm

Librarian wrote:are Visa Applications in Laos taken 7 days a week ? or is it just Monday to Friday ?

Thanks

& don't forget that the process is a 2 day one. Apply 1 day between 10:00 and 12:00, get back the next between 13:00 & 15:00. So, if go on a Friday do not get back until Monday!!(For a Thai Visa that is - can get a 30 day Laos one anytime the bridge is open :D )

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » November 21, 2009, 2:26 pm

Laos has visa on arrival for most citizens. $30-40 depending which country you come from. (Cheapest fro Australians and dearest for Canadians.)

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » November 21, 2009, 2:30 pm

laphanphon wrote:visa on arrival, used to be 1 dollar more on weekends and holidays. take USD, always works out cheaper, then there is a money exchange to your left as walking thru passport check, never open, but look at rate. in the past, long time ago, the rate would be something like 250, but exchanges would give only 200, so exchange money in a bank, if hanging out, and ask for large denominations, or you'll need a backpack just for money. :shock:
It's still 1 USD more, even in rush hour time.

There is now an exchange booth left from the visa-applying office, they change to the same rate as anywhere.
I always put 2000 baht, ask for 35 USD (I'm from Holland too) and the rest in kip as I prefer to pay in kip, saves money. Example, 2 weeks ago, hotel 750 baht, I ask in kip: 170,000 kip, which is to an exchange rate of 250 kip per baht, 680 baht, so saved 210 baht on 3 nights hotel, that is 3.5 liter of draught BeerLao :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also tuktuks and restaurants/bars are cheaper when paid in kip, not to speak about the non existing bar girls :-$

Bob, if you arrive at the Thai embassy at 10 am you probably won't get your application accepted as there are loads of people nowadays (like 250-350 on some days). Better get there 7.30 am and wait an hour before they open the doors.

Joe

Librarian
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Librarian » November 21, 2009, 2:34 pm

guys , as always you have been most helpful with accurate useful info -, thanks .

i want to change my Thai business visa for an * O * . but my current Visa finishes on Friday.

looks like a weekend stopover in Laos then :D

Hope Mrs L , can manage the business for a few days ? :D

The Librarian

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » November 21, 2009, 2:39 pm

Tip: stay at the riverside (Mekong), plenty of hotels and restaurants.
Farang bars: TexMex, Samlor bar and Bor pen yang. That's all you need ;)

Have a nice time!

Joe

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 21, 2009, 5:17 pm

If your business visa is expiring,can't you do a turnaround trip to Laos and the apply for your other visa during that time?

biscuitz
udonmap.com

Post by biscuitz » November 22, 2009, 8:40 am

if u have no $$ just get off the bus walk to the duty free shops on the left hand side & carry on looking thro the shops til ur the other side in loas, then go to the exchange there on the entrance to thailand... change in2 $$ then walk back & go thro the same channel, ps not able to do this is mae sai use the gold shops for exchange cos the banks NO HAVE.... save at least 500bt :-) GORDON

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 22, 2009, 8:20 pm

Buscuitz

Are u implying that u go over to the shops before your passport is stamped and therefore your an alien as you are stamped out of Thailand and officially on Lao soil with no visa.

Your opening urself up to major issues and u might need more than the $30 USD to get u out of this.

Save 200 B on the exchange and spend 20,000 B trying to convince the local authorities that all ur wanted to do was get a better rate !

Return to “Laos”