Requirements for Laos visa

Information & Travel
innercircle
udonmap.com

Requirements for Laos visa

Post by innercircle » October 14, 2009, 10:07 am

hi can someone tell me what is needed for the laos visa when getting it at the border?

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Re: Requirements for Laos visa

Post by BangkokButcher » October 14, 2009, 10:32 am

I am guessing you are just looking to get a basic tourist visa, in which case you will only need your passport, a passport sized photo and either $35 US (maybe more or less depending on your nationality).

You will get a handful of forms to complete on the Laos side of the bridge.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 14, 2009, 10:39 am

money,passport & two forms filled out...is the bare minimum...If you have 1 passport photo that will help as well...Money can be in baht or USD - I believe no other currency is acceptable...1,500 baht most days (extra if it is a 'holiday' or they are working overtime) or about $31 (the actual $ rate depends on which country you are from & varies between about 30-35 I think). If you do not have a photo then they will charge you extra for their inconvenience (200 baht I think).
Pick up two forms at right hand window, fill in & hand everything to left hand window - go around corner to window & pick up passport (can take a while) MAKE SURE THEY HAVE GIVEN YOU YOUR PASSPORT - they are NOT too accurate in this respect & do not come out of this window in the same sequence they went in the other!
While you are waiting at this window for passport there should be some 'swine flu' forms - take one & fill it out as you will need to hand a completed one in later. Receive passport & DO NOT QUEUE at the immigration posts (I think there are 3/4) up ahead as you have already been entered on the computer - just walk straight through. There I think you will see the 'swine flu' desk - hand in your card & receive a credit card size document in return saying what you should do if you fall victim to any of the symptoms. Well that is what happens if you have ticked 'No' to all the symptoms, not sure what happens if you have ticked 'Yes'.
Next is another booth where you have to pay a small amount of baht (can't remember if it is 20 or 50) for something - have no idea what, but you will be given a receipt.
On a few metres & you will see a police officer sitting at a desk. Hand him you passport & receipt. He will glance at it & give it back - You are now in Laos!!!

innercircle
udonmap.com

Post by innercircle » October 14, 2009, 12:26 pm

thankyou for the info.
how soon can i go back over to thailand, im just going to get extra days for my tourist visa because it runs out on the 20th.
Going back home on the 24th or should i just pay the overstay fine at the airport??
Will a overstay effect me returning back to thailand in the future??
thankyou

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 14, 2009, 12:54 pm

You can get to the end (i.e. past the police man) & then walk back down the opposite side of the building, get your passport stamped as exiting Laos, buy a bus ticket & come straight back to Thailand & get an extra 15 days worth of stay in Thailand.
Or you could stay overnight in Vientiane & get to see its delights for a day. If I was going over the border then I must admit I would go early then get to Vientiane (about 200 baht in taxi, 90 baht on the bus) book a room for the night (plenty of hotels varying in price from about 400 baht up) explore the city & then slowly come back to Thailand the next day. Most falang who are going to Laos will be going for a visa - so they will not hit the bridge until the afternoon, if you get their by mid-day it will be quiet.
IMO Vientiane is VERY slow (especially for a capital city) but interesting to see how much the same & different two countries separated by a few hundred metres of water are. Well worth the trip if you have never been & will not cost you much different than the total minimum overstay fine.
Personally I would NEVER recommend that anyone overstays a visa in Thailand. Minimum (& usual action) is just a 500 baht a day fine. The officer CAN impose other sanctions if they feel so inclined - you might be unlucky enough to meet the officer who has not had a good day so far....

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » October 14, 2009, 1:15 pm

4 days overstay will cost you 1500 at least anyway, so might as well check out vientiane for the day or i would overnight if never been there before, though one night is enough. some good munchies in the area around nam phu, fountain and couple inexpensive place to stay. there is a thread on here for info, just use search, some good stuff on that for overnighter. 8)

grab yourself a bottle of wine, or spirits, cheaper or not available in thailand, help off set that visa cost, ex. bailey's i about half price there, and you can find some good wines if you know what you like. good luck. 8)

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » October 14, 2009, 1:21 pm

An overstay should not effect your return to Thailand as you have paid the fine and that is the end of the matter, to not get bogged down with the paying the overstay at the airport where you might find yourself short of time, it may well be in your interest to get an extension for those stays you intend to overstay.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 14, 2009, 1:33 pm

Well what you say is absolutely the case in 99% of the time - especially AT the airport on your way back out of Thailand....it is not necessarily the case if stopped elsewhere by the authorities, and is an open invitation for requests for 'tea money' by all & sundry...

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » October 14, 2009, 1:33 pm

Usual nothing happens w/overstays............AS LONG AS YOU...........get to immigrations, closest office or bkk airport, to pay fine/turn yourself in, basically. the negative, if anyone else other than immigration notices, it could get complicated or expensive. so if going for the extension, 1900 baht, i would just save a couple baht, put toward hotel in vientiane and enjoy an overnighter if it doesn't interfere with you plans. 8)

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 14, 2009, 4:41 pm

If taking a TG etc don't get ripped off like I did a few years back and pay the full Bt 1500 for TG, they can enter for free or a couple hundred baht (can't remember) the guys at immigration can see a sucker a mile away :evil:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 14, 2009, 5:31 pm

If they have a Thai passport it is free (but they pay the '20/50 baht customs thingy).
If they do not have a passport they can obtain a paper 3 day affair - just need their Thai ID - TB says that can be got from Immigration office for something like 20 baht - I have always got from 1 of the travel agencies for 100 baht - it is worth my while paying 80 baht to remain clear of NK Immigration... :D

innercircle
udonmap.com

Post by innercircle » October 14, 2009, 5:50 pm

thanks guys i might as well go to laos for the night and sample the delights \:D/
Just wont to thank all the people on this site your info is very usefull and quick,
thanks again =D>

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 14, 2009, 6:17 pm

BobHelm wrote:If they have a Thai passport it is free (but they pay the '20/50 baht customs thingy).
If they do not have a passport they can obtain a paper 3 day affair - just need their Thai ID - TB says that can be got from Immigration office for something like 20 baht - I have always got from 1 of the travel agencies for 100 baht - it is worth my while paying 80 baht to remain clear of NK Immigration... :D
Not from immigration Bob . The govt office located on the main road into town, alongside the TAT office .Just 20bht and 10 minutes .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 14, 2009, 7:23 pm

AH thanks TB I might try that next time - although no need till just b4 Christmas ....

innercircle
udonmap.com

Post by innercircle » October 23, 2009, 2:27 pm

I went to laos last week to extend the visa, cost 1300bht, didnt have any problems and not many people .

Return to “Laos”