Advice re hotels, restaurants & bars in Vientienne

Information & Travel
jorg
udonmap.com

Re: Advice re hotels, restaurants & bars in Vientienne

Post by jorg » January 21, 2010, 6:32 pm

cryptic wrote:DONT GO TO THAT PIZZA PLACE, if you can call them pizzas. Soft flowery uncooked dough, runny sauce, limited and I mean limited cheese and filling. All that sums up to be is a CRAP PIZZA. Belgians, Thais and Laos cannot cook pizza, go to the Texmex around the corner.
I think you don't know anything about pizza. Don't know where you from but I guess you think about the American style pizza (pan pizza), now these are disgusting. How you make any food American? Just make it bigger and greasier (extra cheese, extra bacon)...

cryptic
udonmap.com

Post by cryptic » January 21, 2010, 10:55 pm

jorg wrote:
cryptic wrote: I think you don't know anything about pizza. Don't know where you from but I guess you think about the American style pizza (pan pizza), now these are disgusting. How you make any food American? Just make it bigger and greasier (extra cheese, extra bacon)...
And judging by your words, you must hail from some little country in Europe. Don't go slamming us Americans, we probably saved your piece of turf a couple of times.

Americans developed pizzas as most of the civilised world knows today, just look up Wikipedia. Hamburgers are another great US culinary delight and you would find a good burger at 652 Bar or pizza at Monkey Bar in Nutty Park, just go and try them out, you may be pleasantly delighted. Enjoy.

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » January 22, 2010, 7:49 am

cryptic wrote:And judging by your words, you must hail from some little country in Europe.
True, Holland to be precise.
cryptic wrote:Don't go slamming us Americans, we probably saved your piece of turf a couple of times.
True, but that don't make you great cooks.
cryptic wrote:Americans developed pizzas as most of the civilised world knows today, just look up Wikipedia.
You must be joking? Did you look up Wikipedia yourself? Guess not, so I did it for you.

Due to the wide influence of Italian immigrants in American culture, the United States has developed quite a large number of regional forms of pizza, many bearing only a casual resemblance to the Italian original. During the latter half of the 20th century, pizza in the United States became an iconic dish of considerable popularity. The thickness of the crust depends on what the consumer prefers; both thick and thin crust are popular. Often, "Americanized" foods such as barbecued chicken and bacon cheeseburgers are used to create new types of pizza.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_in_the_United_States

Modern pizza originated in Italy as the Neapolitan pie with tomato. In 1889 cheese was added.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza

And for your information, the hamburger originates from the German city Hamburg.

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » January 22, 2010, 11:13 am

cryptic wrote:
Americans developed pizzas as most of the civilised world knows today, just look up Wikipedia. Hamburgers are another great US culinary delight and you would find a good burger at 652 Bar or pizza at Monkey Bar in Nutty Park, just go and try them out, you may be pleasantly delighted. Enjoy.
culinary delight.... :lol: :lol: :lol: long time ago since I had such a good laugh

Before you start hitting on me, I'm from Holland too and as our own food is not very special we learned about other foods so we Dutch are quite "developed" as far as international food is concerned.

The pizza in Vientiane is excellent, Italian style thin crispy crust with not too much toppings.

By the way: your piece of turf was occupied by Europeans remember?

Joe

cryptic
udonmap.com

Post by cryptic » January 22, 2010, 5:11 pm

SanukJoe wrote:
cryptic wrote: Before you start hitting me, I'm from Holland.
Joe
OK I wont.

mrbeerlao
udonmap.com

Post by mrbeerlao » July 2, 2010, 4:49 pm

WOW the lanexang hotel looks great,big rooms ill stay there for sure!!!!!!!!!!

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » July 3, 2010, 6:23 pm

Stayed there once, the entrance looks nice but the rooms are old and outdated. Think you can do better.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » July 23, 2010, 4:44 pm

Guys, don't stay at the Lane Xang Hotel. It is dated and old and tatty. If you want some good places to saty in town:
Vayakorn Hotel, Laos Orchid Hotel, Riverside Hotel. The Souphaphone GH opposite the Hare and Hounds Hotel is excellent for about $20.00pn. It has nice large rooms and is about 1 year old. The Lao Silk Hotel is very good, but a bit pricey at about $60pn.
By the way, the Tex Mex place serves crap food. If you like good pizza, try La Terrasse which serves delicious pizza at a very reasonable cost; in fact all of their food is good. If you want to lash out for food, try Chez Phillipe, just opposite Kob Jai der and above the Phimphone Mini Mart.
If you want to meet naughty girls, try Borpenyang after about 9.00pm; the food is not bad either.
You need to ask someone who lives here, not someone who thinks a hamburger is a culinary delight. Rofl!

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 23, 2010, 5:17 pm

"Naughty Girls" Gosh Rufus I thought that was a no no :shock:

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » July 23, 2010, 5:32 pm

Things have changed a bit Aardvark - not that I am talking from experience, of course.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » July 23, 2010, 5:49 pm

Btw, the Istanbul restaurant mentioned by Joe above is pretty good. All in all, the food here in general, is far better than I have eaten in Udon.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » July 24, 2010, 8:20 am

Word of advice for you culinary ''experts''!

A good pizza is the one that is made to your taste!!!!!

Many time ,posdters talk about what great food is served here and there,but it really depends on your personal preferences.

For me,I like most regular and spicey Thai food and find it preferable to mosy falang dishes.For pizza,I like the combination pizza served at the mall,over East coast style pizzas or the so-called ''original'' type pizzas!

Who are any of you to tell me what is best for me,or vicaversa???

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » July 24, 2010, 10:11 am

Well Stan, it depends on your definition of pizza. Pizza's origins are in Italy, of course, specifically in Napoli. Others have changed the formula to suit their own tastes, but they should not call the end result "pizza". Like that horrible muck that is served by the unfortunately named "The Pizza Company" - you may like it, but it is not Pizza. Personal preferences are all well and good, Stan but there are some standards. Eg some people might like to eat dog turds, I personally don't and suspect most others don't either.

This reminds me of a story about the Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr. He got in a taxi one day and the taxi driver recognised him and said that he had tried one of Kerr's recipes - Barramundi with Macadamia nuts. He didn't have a fine Hunter semillon, so he used sweet cooking sherry; he didn't have macadamia nuts, do he used salted peanuts; he didn't have barramundi, so he used frozen fish fingers. Kerr gasped, "Did you enjoy it?" "No," replied the taxi driver, "it was bloody awful. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?"

Another time I was involved in a wine tasting and one of the professional judges stated that the wine he was tasting was a magnificent example of the style and a credit to the winemaker's art. I said, "I guess you are going to buy some then?" "No", was the reply, "This is a style of wine I particularly dislike. That does not mean it is not a brilliant wine."

Little Italian Udon
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Little Italian Udon » July 24, 2010, 1:26 pm

I agree, Pizza is something subjective,I am italian and prefer thick pizza much more than the napolitain very thin one.
I also believe, we will always look for tastes and food we have had when we were children.

Return to “Laos”