Poontang in Laos ?

Information & Travel
BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Re: Poontang in Laos ?

Post by BKKSTAN » February 15, 2009, 8:50 am

I never was interested in the origin of the word,as those guys that used it turned me off anyway!

So because of the souces using it ,in my life experience,I have always considered to word to be crude,crass and trashy!Definitely not to my preference unless used in a comedic type of performance!

I think babobs post is hilarious! =D> =D>

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 15, 2009, 7:24 pm

BKKSTAN wrote: I think babobs post is hilarious! =D> =D>
I will express my agreement with that statemant.... Image

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » February 16, 2009, 1:30 pm

It's not crude, crass or trashy,it's just French. :razz: Yes, I also don't make
it a part of my daily vocabulary but I suspect when colonization was going-on in Cambodia
and Vietnam this word was left-over. And since no-one has the energy to dispute my thesis. :razz:
Not to leave Laos out, I guess the French spent a good amount of time there as well. What we
need I suppose is a French native speaker to confirm origin of the word. and......waiting. :razz:

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 16, 2009, 3:02 pm

Yes it's French, putain, prostitute, Old French, from pute, feminine of put, foul, stinking, from Latin ptidus, from ptre, to be rotten, stink; see p- in sanskrit roots. :roll:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 16, 2009, 3:11 pm

It sounds somewhat vulgar to me!

I found this on it:-

http://everything2.com/e2node/poontang

and this:
http://www.noslang.com/dictionary/p

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » February 16, 2009, 3:33 pm

And from the Urban Dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poontang

I particularly liked this one from the many definitions Urban Dictionary listed:
pussy; by extension, a girl, a good time or sex.

From French "putain" = "hooker", adopted to American English during the Vietnam War, obviously as the going word for personal relief.

Also "pootang" or simply "poon".
"I been pumping pussy since Christ was a corporal. I can tell you, the best damned poontang I ever paid for was in Da Nang. The girls where checked out daily. And we got ourself laid in a safe, orderly, proficient, military manner." -- Gunny Sgt. Tom Highway in "Heartbreak Ridge" (1986)

"Show me some poontang, I'll show you an aggressive Marine!" -- ibidem

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » February 16, 2009, 9:57 pm

Gents, I don't have any evidence but I think the term predates the American involvement in Viet Nam. Maybe the French "1st Indochina War",, circa 1954? I spent a lot of time in SouthEast Asia, VietNam (67-70) and Thailand (70-75) and I don't really remember it's prominent use. Alot of "adopted" or bastardized Vietnamese and French terms, even some WWII Japanese, Chinese, and Korean War terms. Sometimes, certain terms may also be heavily used in one service and almost unknown in another. Cheers

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » February 17, 2009, 4:51 am

I knew there were old-timers lurking out there who had the answers. :razz: That's
what I figured as well. It had been assimilated into the local language from the French and then
some G.I.'s started to bring it home and it then became the vulgar slang we know it as today. :razz:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 17, 2009, 5:11 am

where ever it came from those two guys in the car seem to like it...and even the woman standing in the door flashing her beaver has a smile....so it can't be bad ...can it..?

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » February 18, 2009, 12:49 am

BM,,,,, hey if it's good enough for the astronauts, it's good enough for me ;)

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » February 18, 2009, 1:15 am

Trink used to use the term putain quite a lot in his columns .

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 18, 2009, 6:14 am

Didn't the Americans call this, 'voogong', when they were in Vietnam?

And the Filipino word, 'pookey', 'puki' is the same one used by the Hokkien Chinese in Malaysia, and other parts of the world where they reside.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » February 19, 2009, 1:32 am

Tilokarat,,,, I'm going to have to let some other vet answer this one. I have no recollection of "voogong" at all. Anyone?

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » February 19, 2009, 10:10 am

I was in Vietnam in 1966/67 and knew the word prior, if my memory serves me correctly. I don't remember where I picked it up, but I'm pretty sure it preceded our misadventure in Vietnam. Ah, kinda hard to recall something really unimportant, the word that is :D .

Can't place anything similar to "voogoog".

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 19, 2009, 10:26 am

It told to me by a friend in New York city. Perhaps the term was limited to use by his unit. 55555

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 19, 2009, 1:04 pm

This thread is crying out for some photos - only by way of explanation of course =D>

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 19, 2009, 5:50 pm

jackspratt wrote:This thread is crying out for some photos - only by way of explanation of course =D>

fill your boots jack...plenty of beauties on here..(make sure the Mrs is outside though).click on your name...

For jack

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » February 19, 2009, 6:59 pm

Think the term "poontang" predates my stint in the military from 1961-65. Never served in Vietnam or the Far East but seem to remember hearing it used around the Detroit ghettoes that I called "home" during the late '50s. Probably stems from Korea, Japan and Okinawa after WW2.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 19, 2009, 9:19 pm

beer monkey wrote:
jackspratt wrote:This thread is crying out for some photos - only by way of explanation of course =D>

fill your boots jack...plenty of beauties on here..(make sure the Mrs is outside though).click on your name...

For jack

Thanks for that expose BM - sort of same, same, but (a tiny bit) different :D

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » February 20, 2009, 1:44 am

Gents,,, I'm going to go out on a limb here since i haven't been contributing to this forum but a short while. I like to think of myself as a defender of free speech and that most people will place reasonable limits upon themselves most of the time.
I have to admit to you all that I was taken aback when I first read this topic title. Now, the good Lord knows I'm not now nor ever have been an angel, and have spread more than my share of sin and debauchery in my time. I have been impressed that the general level of discourse here was at a level that wouldn't prevent me from showing it to most adults. I feel that most of the contributors here have a vocabulary that doesn't require one to "walk in the gutter" so to speak. I enjoy a great racy comment, joke or picture as much as the next guy, maybe more.
I guess what I'm trying to say is this forum seems to be made up of adults of all nationalities and old enough to have families and even kids or grandkids. Even though I didn't start this topic, I for one, will attempt to be more "sophisticated" with my choice of words in the future.
Thank you for letting me express my opinion. I am not trying to embarrass or dictate to other members.
Cheers

Return to “Laos”