Laos Trip Report

Information & Travel
biscuitz
udonmap.com

Laos Trip Report

Post by biscuitz » February 4, 2009, 4:16 pm

to all members, im currently in luang prabang its a very nice place & people are very friendly, also cheaper. im on a tourist visa so i come here to re new it, was supposed to go back to thailand a few days ago but im enjoying myself here so, im staying longer even tho my accomodation in udon is already payed for..... think that says it all really, come & give it a try before going back home, regards...GORDON

arjay
udonmap.com

Re: Going back to UK

Post by arjay » February 4, 2009, 4:24 pm

Let me know if you visit Viang Vieng in your travels.

Maybe we'll get a trip report in the Laos Forum, upon your return. :D :D

In the meantime, enjoy, as they say!! :D

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » February 4, 2009, 4:30 pm

Actually I have thought about Lao a lot over the years. Everyone is saying it is Thailand 20 years ago. That one I missed.

I would rather have Udon eight years ago compared to what I see today. I can't say why but I seem to always be on edge in a Communist Country

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » February 4, 2009, 4:33 pm

biscuitz wrote:to all members, im currently in luang prabang its a very nice place & people are very friendly, also cheaper. im on a tourist visa so i come here to re new it, was supposed to go back to thailand a few days ago but im enjoying myself here so, im staying longer even tho my accomodation in udon is already payed for..... think that says it all really, come & give it a try before going back home, regards...GORDON
:lol: Gordon,did you meet a girl there or are we talking about the flow of life and the community?Looking forward to more details ? :D

biscuitz
udonmap.com

Post by biscuitz » February 4, 2009, 5:07 pm

been to vang vieng, 9 months ago ok for a short trip but mainly lots of young backpackers. luang prabang is better its currently 11.550 kip - pound, ive just bought a sim card for 20.000 with 10.000 credit inc in the price.. to phone the uk its 2.000 kip per min, the food is great lots ov restaurants & theirs loads of freshly baked baguettes on every corner, with meat or cheese filling & salad 5.000 - 8.000 kip, the bars charge beer lao or tiger ( large bottle ). 8.000 - 10.000 kip, also the guest houses here are good value $15 per night ensuite, hot shower, air con, ubc satlelite, free tea or coffee, big bed with cotton sheets & its a more relaxing place with lots of genuine smiles, (not just when you get your walet out, like in thailand) if anyone wants to know anything while im here just ask........GORDON

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Laos Trip Report

Post by BobHelm » February 4, 2009, 7:32 pm

Git - you would have to be careful going to Laos. You can take a "big bike", on a "passport" for a visit, but I am reliably informed that anything over a 750 is not allowed in Laos on a more permanent basis :D :D

biscuitz
udonmap.com

Post by biscuitz » February 5, 2009, 4:03 pm

www.lonelyplanet\forum\laos

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » February 5, 2009, 6:31 pm

I'm ok it's a 400. There is a ride section on Gtriders that deal with going to Laos, Cambodia, Malayasia and Vietnem, but the Vietnam seems to be night mare. Malayasia the easiest go for street bike. Laos and Cambodia dirt bikes really, because of the roads. I did see that there were some problems crossing into Lao at one time. Don''t know if has been cleared up,

Each country has a specific process, but just like Thailand one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. So in Lao that have been incidents where the prope rpemits were obtained in advance and they still were not allowed to cross.

My belief is you can ride 2 all the way to China but you got to get through Vietnam to do that. Now that would be a ride to remember. Anyone thinking about traveling to another country remember you have to have a propely registered bike to so it.

If anyone caught the TV series recently of riding fom the UJ throughn Africa. Those gusy had all kinds of assistance and still had problems crossing borders. For an Amature like me I would say next to impossible.

Worse comes to worse you can rent 250 CC dirt Bikes in Vientene, with road conditions as they are might be the best idea.

Soemn great pics on some of the threads showing guys dragging their bikes thorugh streams. With my back those days are over. Need Tarmac. :roll:

Sure would like to see the Plain of Jars though

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » February 6, 2009, 2:50 am

Does anybody have the names and locations of budget guest houses in Vientiane ??? :-k

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 6, 2009, 3:12 am

Try this one.
Right in centre of the city, recommended. =D>

http://www.lakeo.laopdr.com/

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 6, 2009, 5:50 am

More to add to Prenders link on this link below keith555...

Accomodation-Laos

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » February 6, 2009, 8:01 am

How much do you want to spend Keith? I live here.
I can suggest 4 in varying price ranges and have had friends stay at all 4.
Laos Orchid Hotel - about $45
Villa Manoly - about $30 - a beautiful restored French Mansion and it even has a small pool.
Laos Paris Hotel - about $25
Vayakorn Hotel - about $15-20

Only Villa Manoly has a pool of those mentioned. There are cheaper places of course, but I like ,y comforts these days.

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » February 7, 2009, 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info RUFUS,will try the vayakorn end of this month as only for Visa run i normally stay about 2 nights so cheap and cheerful is ok for me. Is it near the fountain?? :D

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » February 7, 2009, 7:36 pm

And thanks for the link BEERMONKEY. :D

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » February 7, 2009, 7:42 pm

just checked out the hotel you sent the link to Prenders88,looks very good for $20 a night,thanks. :D

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » February 8, 2009, 9:44 am

Yes the Vayakorn is very close to the Nam Phu fountain. Its right next door to Monument Books. If you need any recommendations good places to eat just post here and I will suggest some places for you.
Ron

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 8, 2009, 12:31 pm

Just like to report that after my last Laos Trip ........ it's still there, and the sore toe is getting better :lol:

biscuitz
udonmap.com

Post by biscuitz » February 18, 2009, 2:23 am

im still in laos only come to do visa run but stayed, luang prabang is a great place. if members are coming here let know :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » February 18, 2009, 6:04 am

Let us here some recommendations,good and bad experiences,costs etc.etc.! =P~

biscuitz
udonmap.com

Post by biscuitz » February 18, 2009, 4:25 pm

no bad experiences only good ones, people here are so nice & genuinely friendly... well thats luang prabang anyways, its NOT the same as vientiane, & its a world away from thailand but just an hour flight from udon. i do miss my pool cos there isnt a good table anywere here in this city. the food is great & the beer in the bars are half the price than in udon, theres lots ov tourist that come here, & i can see why!!! most restaurants close early 10pm. but theres a night club &a bowling alley that stay open til early hours, not much advertised for monthly rental yet only holiday hotels & guest houses, but average at $15 a nite for guest houses with a/c, ubc, private bathroom & shower, free hot drinks... did here of someone that got his rental mountain bike pinched & had to pay 700.000 kip thats about $80, but he did leave it unlocked so what do you expect!!! theirs no tescos here only small shops but they have more & better quality western food than thailand & its NOT expensive, example a whole array of european cheeses, soft french baguettes, real butter, red & white wines. i bought a 5litre box of french imported chardonnay for 170.000kip that works out at $4 a litre & theres lots ov different wines to choose from, salami & chocolate all cheaper than thailand. theres wifi hotspots in lots of places. not seen any westerners on mopeds only cycles here, or getting on a tuc tuc at $1 a ride, everyone here ive spoken to have enjoyed it here, but couldnt say the same for thailand as holiday makers were tired of being ripped off alot of the time, heres different as its a bit more pricey here than the rest of laos but still cheaper than udon. also if you fancy a game of cards ina bar with your friends over some ice cold beer laos(best in asia) feel free without the fear of getting arrested.... to me this place is unspoilt so im guna enjoy it while i can cos things dont last, im doing a u turn at the boarder & coming back here at the end of my visa............................GORDON

Return to “Laos”