Laos Trip Report

Information & Travel
BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Re: Laos Trip Report

Post by BKKSTAN » February 19, 2009, 9:24 am

Thanks Gordon,keep soaking it up!

Sounds like a good weeks getaway for me!

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » February 19, 2009, 11:12 am

What about company Gordon, not for me of course I'm married :oops: but for the travellers and singles ??

biscuitz
udonmap.com

Post by biscuitz » February 19, 2009, 11:32 am

company.......... well which nationality are you looking for cos theirs single females from all over the world, but most are the younger side of life but also mature western ladies here on holiday

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » February 19, 2009, 12:27 pm

If you head to Kob Jai Der or Bor pen Yang at bout 8.00pm onwards you won't be short of company for long.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 19, 2009, 6:10 pm

Somebody is making a SMALL Fortune on the Laos side of the friendship bridge......I just went over today,I paid my US 35 $ For Visa on Arrival,Then after collecting my Passport with said visa,I proceed towards the Duty Free Shop,But was STOPPED By a Laos " Official " in uniform and told to go back to a small kiosk,He says " You Pay Money come into Laos " I show him My Visa,and say But I just PAID 35 $,He say You Go Pay MORE.....I Went to kiosk and was told I had to pay ANOTHER 50 Baht,and was issued with a ticket which plainly stated 10 Baht on it !!! I ask WTF**K is going on here ?? OK It's only 50 Baht,BUT Thats not the point,It's a matter of Princaple (Spelling ) I WAS Tempted to ask this guy where the "OTHER 40 Baht " ends up......But I think I can guess......Say No More..... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

Casper
udonmap.com

Post by Casper » February 19, 2009, 8:03 pm

I Just logged onto the Australian Embassy web site to have a look at visa requirements. Would like to go for a look in July do not know how I will go driving a hire car into Laos, guess I will have to give it a go and see how I go. The last paragraph seems to be a load of busllhit not that I am worried, my balls are worth more than that.

Local Information

Laos is an extremely beautiful and picturesque country with a rich cultural and historical heritage. Over 15,000 Australians visit Laos every year, and this number is growing as basic tourist infrastructure improves and travellers pass on their experiences to others. Many visitors comment favourably on the warm, hospitable, and friendly reception they have received in Laos.

Travellers and residents in Laos are strongly encouraged to register with the Australian Embassy and read the travel advice for Laos produced by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Drugs in Laos - Don't do it!

Penalties for taking or possessing illegal drugs in Laos are severe, and include capital punishment and life imprisonment. Conditions in Lao jails are extremely difficult.

Australian travellers are strongly advised to let others know their travel itinerary and maintain regular contact with relatives and friends. Internet cafes are available in most centres visited by travellers and there are mobile phone networks throughout the country.

Entry Requirements for Australians visiting Laos.

Tourist visas valid for 30 days can be obtained on arrival at Vientiane and Luang Prabang International Airports, and at the Friendship Bridge between Nong Khai Thailand and Vientiane Laos. Passport photographs are required for a visa on arrival. All other crossing points require a valid Lao visa already in the passport, which must be obtained from a Lao Embassy abroad. Tourist visas may be extended for 30 days at the Bureau of Immigration (Bureau of Aliens and Foreigners Protection) opposite the morning market in Lane Xang Ave, Vientiane. Fines for overstaying are imposed, they can be paid at the Bureau of Immigration or at the Friendship Bridge on departure. Fees apply for visas.

Lao Immigration require passports to have at least 6 month's validity remaining. Travellers have been refused entry into Laos when holding passports with less than 6 month's validity.

Travellers are remined to check their passports, when entering and leaving
Laos, to ensure they have received a correctly dated entry/exit stamp. Penalties can apply for entering Laos without an entry stamp and for crossing the border at non authorised crossing points.

Vehicles can be temporarily imported into Laos. The conditions on entry vary from time to time and at the various border crossings. If your plans include temporarily importing a vehicle into Laos you should bring all documentation related to ownership and registration. Vehicles must be insured in Laos. Insurance can be obtained at AGL offices at or near most international border crossings.

The banking system in Laos is not as developed as it is in Australia and travellers can often be left without sufficient funds.

Medical facilities in Laos are not of the same standard as in Australia. There are limited services throughout the country and even minor ailments may necessitate evacuation to neighbouring countries.

While marriage between foreigners and Lao citizens is permitted there are a range of regulations that need to be followed. Sexual relationships between foreigners and Lao citizens who are not legally married are not permitted. Penalties for failing to register a relationship range from US$500 to 5,000 and possible imprisonment for both parties and deportation.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 20, 2009, 11:08 am

While marriage between foreigners and Lao citizens is permitted there are a range of regulations that need to be followed. Sexual relationships between foreigners and Lao citizens who are not legally married are not permitted. Penalties for failing to register a relationship range from US$500 to 5,000 and possible imprisonment for both parties and deportation.

I would welcome rufus' opinion, or anyone else with recent & relevant knowledge (on this thread or by PM if preferred) as to whether he feels the last paragraph of Casper's post (quoted above) is still current and applied/enforced as suggested, or indeed whether he feels there is any movement or relaxation by the Lao authorities with regard to such matters?

redbeard
udonmap.com

Post by redbeard » February 21, 2009, 9:22 am

hi any info on what if any differance in cost when taking the kids across ,we will be back over in april and are thinking of a few days in Lao, wife has her Thai ID so easy for her ,Im on a kiwi passport and the kids are on Aussie passports (latest one will be 11mths old the reason we havnt been back for almost 2 years) thanks Roy

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » February 21, 2009, 9:52 am

redbeard wrote:hi any info on what if any differance in cost when taking the kids across ,we will be back over in april and are thinking of a few days in Lao, wife has her Thai ID so easy for her ,Im on a kiwi passport and the kids are on Aussie passports (latest one will be 11mths old the reason we havnt been back for almost 2 years) thanks Roy
If the children have dual citizenship,they should have thhe minimal cost of other thais!

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » February 21, 2009, 11:01 am

don't let anyone know about the aussie passports, and try to get kids added to wife's border pass, there is a fill in blanks part for that. though, they may ask for birth cert. as id if not having thai id yet. hopefully not, at last resort, show birth cert, and hope they don't consider them aussies.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » February 21, 2009, 2:58 pm

arjay wrote:

I would welcome rufus' opinion, or anyone else with recent & relevant knowledge (on this thread or by PM if preferred) as to whether he feels the last paragraph of Casper's post (quoted above) is still current and applied/enforced as suggested, or indeed whether he feels there is any movement or relaxation by the Lao authorities with regard to such matters?
The Laos Govt appears to be far more relaxed than in the past. If you are officially engaged in Laos, thigs appear to be fine, In my case, the wife and i got engaged in laos, married in Australia and that seems to be no problem, even though the Laos govt at this stage does not recognise marraiges outside of Laos.

By the way, I heard it on good authority that westerners can now get Laos passports which entitle them to all the benefits of Laos citizenship. This means owning land, working in previously restricted occupations etc etc. You can retain dual citizenship. Apparently it costs $1000US.
Last edited by rufus on February 21, 2009, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 21, 2009, 3:01 pm

Seems like a bargain Rufus - especially when compared to the "wonderful" deals that Thailand has come up with in the past for offering something nearly as good..... :(
You may soon be getting lots of company!!! :D

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » February 21, 2009, 3:03 pm

747man wrote:Somebody is making a SMALL Fortune on the Laos side of the friendship bridge......I just went over today,I paid my US 35 $ For Visa on Arrival,Then after collecting my Passport with said visa,I proceed towards the Duty Free Shop,But was STOPPED By a Laos " Official " in uniform and told to go back to a small kiosk,He says " You Pay Money come into Laos " I show him My Visa,and say But I just PAID 35 $,He say You Go Pay MORE.....I Went to kiosk and was told I had to pay ANOTHER 50 Baht,and was issued with a ticket which plainly stated 10 Baht on it !!! I ask WTF**K is going on here ?? OK It's only 50 Baht,BUT Thats not the point,It's a matter of Princaple (Spelling ) I WAS Tempted to ask this guy where the "OTHER 40 Baht " ends up......But I think I can guess......Say No More..... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:
I am amused that people immediately cry foul when they are not aware of the facts or don't bother to find out. There has ALWAYS been an additional fee on top of the visa. Even laos pay this. It is 10 Baht or 50 Baht, depending on the time you come in. I have never been overcharged and neither has anyone I know. :fryingpan:

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » February 21, 2009, 3:05 pm

BobHelm wrote:Seems like a bargain Rufus - especially when compared to the "wonderful" deals that Thailand has come up with in the past for offering something nearly as good..... :(
You may soon be getting lots of company!!! :D
Yes Bob, that is why I mentioned it. It is a lifetime thing as well. The fact that I can now own land is a huge plus. As well as this it is going to be so much easier to run a business here as you are now subject to the same rules as the locals.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » February 21, 2009, 3:14 pm

rufus wrote:
arjay wrote:

The Laos Govt appears to be far more relaxed than in the past. If you are officially engaged in Laos, thigs appear to be fine, In my case, the wife and i got engaged in laos, married in Australia and that seems to be no problem, even though the Laos govt at this stage does not recognise marraiges outside of Laos.

By the way, I heard it on good authority that westerners can now get Laos passports which entitle them to all the benefits of Laos citizenship. This means owning land, working in previously restricted occupations etc etc. You can retain dual citizenship. Apparently it costs $1000US.
Can we assume this is what you are going to do?And ,if so,we can expect a detailed report on the process and results? :D

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » February 21, 2009, 4:21 pm

Yes I am looking into it Stan. It seems like a sensible plan in my situation. I will post details as and when I find them out. I have a week off in 2 weeks time, so that seems like a sensible time to do some investigationg.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 21, 2009, 4:35 pm

Laos looks like a much more secure long term bet than Thailand for foriengers, a chance of staying without the jumping through hoops, and sweating in a immigration office, owning your own house and land. There will a stampede if this information is true.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » February 21, 2009, 4:43 pm

Even now I don't have to do visa runs. I have a one year business visa. Pretty easy to get even if you don't work. About $400 per year. Can't own land of course.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » February 21, 2009, 6:31 pm

rufus wrote:Even now I don't have to do visa runs. I have a one year business visa. Pretty easy to get even if you don't work. About $400 per year. Can't own land of course.
What is the business visa for and what type of business do you do in Laos?

biscuitz
udonmap.com

Post by biscuitz » March 10, 2009, 2:52 pm

still in luang prabang, been here 6weeks now im planning to return back to udon for a short time then try out vietnam starting from hanoi and eventually working my way down to ho chi min city, going thro resorts like hoi an, over a few weeks...........GORDON

Return to “Laos”