Burning Concrete!

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
rick
udonmap.com

Burning Concrete!

Post by rick » July 8, 2022, 12:46 am

Since the morning there has been a 'hot' patch in our concrete yard, about one square metre total. Occasionally puffs of smoke have been seen rising from it, In the centre the concrete is too hot to touch. Cause - unknown. Assumption - pocket of methane gas is spontaneously combusting..... No signs of volcanic activity - yet.

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Burning Concrete!

Post by 747man » July 8, 2022, 9:43 am

rick wrote:
July 8, 2022, 12:46 am
Since the morning there has been a 'hot' patch in our concrete yard, about one square metre total. Occasionally puffs of smoke have been seen rising from it, In the centre the concrete is too hot to touch. Cause - unknown. Assumption - pocket of methane gas is spontaneously combusting..... No signs of volcanic activity - yet.
You Haven't BURIED A Heavy Smoker 'Ave yer Rick ??

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 8, 2022, 10:15 am

Your concrete must have been constructed with some flammable ingredients.
Normal concrete does not burn only crumbles when exposed to extreme heat

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 8, 2022, 10:38 am

Any wiring running under that concrete? We had a patch of concrete near the gate post start smoking (then fizzing and popping). Found out a tree root had broken the buried conduit for the two-core cable for the gate post lamps. Insulation was compromised and with a bit of rainwater seeping down there... These had been wired in after the the main house build by the 'electrician' who had bypassed the breakers in the CU (don't get me started).
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 8, 2022, 1:15 pm

It's a sign Rick. Go buy some saffron robes and shave ya nut.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 10, 2022, 8:19 pm

Now cold. it turns out that wiring for the lights of the old verandah roof were maybe NOT properly disconnected and just dumped on the ground and concreted over a couple of years ago. The day before we had the smoking concrete we had very heavy rain - maybe water got to the wiring (but why now? didn't happen last year, and why didn't the circuit breakers work?) or maybe it pushed gas out of the soil up to under the concrete and got ignited by the wiring. Wiring from house to the ground now cut off.

Smoke was coming up through a crack. There was also small concrete fragments scattered on the verandah (about one or 2 mm in size - but that may have happened when F-in-L helped investigate. Electrician came to do wire removal.

Return to “House & Land”