Bats in the belfry

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Bats in the belfry

Post by Old Grumpy » December 14, 2021, 12:40 pm

Well in this case my loft.
My house was built 18years ago, using the common local practise of a metal framework construction supporting the roof, which I thought would last forever, well a few months ago we had some small water stains on one of the bedroom ceilings, a local guy came out and did a bit of sealing from the outside which seemed to work, just recently we had a local guy come to replace some rotting wooden facia boards., so he actually took some tiles right off which seemed to be sagging a bit, in the process a couple of large bats flew out, now we knew they were living there for a few years now but weren't worried as nature lovers and thinking them to be harmless so have left them alone ,now a big surprise awaited us. He helped me into the roof to show me. The iron immediately below their nesting place had rotted almost completely away due to the very acidic droppings and the whole metal framework was on the point of collapse, all the rest of the construction was perfectly sound .So I have had to have the dodgy stuff cut out and new welded in, quite an expensive operation, all okay now and hopefully the bats entry point closed .Never heard of this before so thought I would post details as a heads up for anyone else that may have :harmless ;bats in their belfry .
DSCN3343.JPG
DSCN3344.JPG
DSCN3345.JPG
DSCN3346.JPG
DSCN3347.JPG
DSCN3348.JPG

Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: Bats in the belfry

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 14, 2021, 1:23 pm

Looks expensive, good luck.

Yep had the same thing, a family of bats moved into the air space over our upstairs veranda, the only entrance was a gap in the fibre cement flashing over a roof lip. They couldn't get into the main roof space and didn't appear to be doing any harm so I left em.
About 2 years ago a pair of Minor Birds kicked em out and took over the facilities. Great tenants, throw out their old nests before building new and kick out any unfertilized eggs (light blue in color), AND very entertaining if they find a snake.
No problem structurally as our home was built out of the olde but ever reliable hard wood 2 x 4s etc. clad in Shera Wood through out the upper floor. Full masonry construction in the lower floor.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 14, 2021, 2:52 pm

OG, thanks for that tip! We likewise let the jungle life have a run of the place......lots of bats under our house, but have never seen them in the roof spaces. But that'll be something to keep an eye out for in the future. We have lots of white squirrels......I've been expecting one to make its way into the roof....but none so far. Our coconuts, mangoes, papayas, lamyai, tamarind....the squirrels have a field day!
Attachments
20191107_073516.jpg
20210921_163220.jpg

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 14, 2021, 8:06 pm

depending upon the number of bats the guano can get deep!!
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 14, 2021, 8:07 pm

oh, let's not forget that bats do carry any number of viruses that can jump to humans...
Dave

Return to “House & Land”