Laminate flooring

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
tamada
udonmap.com

Laminate flooring

Post by tamada » December 13, 2021, 9:07 am

We had this done in the three main bedrooms around 15 years ago. Looking at some YouTube's, it seems easy enough as a DIY job for the simple, square 4 x 4m room I'm doing. All the usual shops have a wide range in stock but I wondered if they also supply the plastic, cushioning underlay sheet I see being used on the videos?

Our floors are very quiet but i recall staying in a hotel in Bangkok where they had laid on the cement floor that maybe hadn't been swept clean and it was cracking and popping all over the place.

If anyone has done, or watched it being done locally, let me know how they prepped the floor before laying. Mine will be going on top of textured ceramic.

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Laminate flooring

Post by noosard » December 13, 2021, 1:23 pm

I did one in Oz
Pretty easy but dont let the wife tell you there is blemish 4 or 5 rows already done that needs fixing
1 blemish mark became a lot more

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 14, 2021, 4:24 am

Usually best approach is watch a few videos on the subject and see if it is within ones capability.
These days there are videos out there on just about any subject, some good , some no so good, but as they say, "if you have to ask....."

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 14, 2021, 7:27 am

bluejets wrote:
December 14, 2021, 4:24 am
Usually best approach is watch a few videos on the subject and see if it is within ones capability.
These days there are videos out there on just about any subject, some good , some no so good, but as they say, "if you have to ask....."
I have watched half a dozen as there are loads of them. Of course a lot of them are lengthy as they involve ripping up old carpet, staple and nail removal, fixing low or damp spots, all of which doesn't apply here so lots of fast-forwarding. It looks easy enough following the basics, especially on a simple, small square room like I have with one door sill and only two out of four 'Thai corners'.

Anyway, I'm not worried about my DIY skills or lack of tools. The main question is the plastic sheeting that appears to be primarily a damp course for laying on wood floors in North American homes. My main issue is the hard laminate backing on a harder ceramic floor. Probably does need a cushioning layer? Some YT's suggest this is already available on some brands of laminate but I haven't seen that here. The display sheets are already 'laid' on vertical racks and the real stuff is in sealed boxes. The stuff I bought 15 years ago had no special backing

I will drop by Global and ask what they have apart from the sheets.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 14, 2021, 10:46 am

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Arbiton-PE-Foa ... k/p/620801

Laminate floor underlay, Cheap and does the job, Wickes UK, Surely Global has it!
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 14, 2021, 2:18 pm

I found a lull in the lunch time traffic and checked at Thai Watsadu where they have the foam underlay as well as the laminate flooring. The foam underlay was in the next aisle alongside the self-adhesive floor laminates which don't use foam underlay.

TiT
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “House & Land”