Exhaust fans

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
glalt
udonmap.com

Exhaust fans

Post by glalt » December 5, 2020, 12:37 pm

Probably a useless post for most, but maybe useful for some. I bought an 8 inch exhaust fan for my computer room to clear the cigarette smoke out. I have an 8 inch Panasonic in the bathroom that sounds like a jet plane on the runway. Since the one in my computer room is close to my desk, I wanted one that would be fairly quiet. Mitsubishi has one that is supposedly designed to run quietly so that is the one I chose. I am amazed at how quiet it is. Both do a good job but you can hardly hear the Mitsubishi running. My wife no longer complains about the cigarette stink in my computer room. It was well worth the extra cost. (1,018 baht)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Exhaust fans

Post by Khun Paul » December 5, 2020, 1:34 pm

glalt wrote:
December 5, 2020, 12:37 pm
Probably a useless post for most, but maybe useful for some. I bought an 8 inch exhaust fan for my computer room to clear the cigarette smoke out. I have an 8 inch Panasonic in the bathroom that sounds like a jet plane on the runway. Since the one in my computer room is close to my desk, I wanted one that would be fairly quiet. Mitsubishi has one that is supposedly designed to run quietly so that is the one I chose. I am amazed at how quiet it is. Both do a good job but you can hardly hear the Mitsubishi running. My wife no longer complains about the cigarette stink in my computer room. It was well worth the extra cost. (1,018 baht)
When I gave up smoking, some years ago my then wife lit a candle in the room whenever anyone came who smoked and the smell disappeared, a good trick to possibly help

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 5, 2020, 3:13 pm

Good tip on the Mitsubishi one glalt. I have plans for my man cave and although I'm not a smoker, quieter ventilation may be a factor.

We installed Hatari extractor fans in our two Udon home bathrooms when we built it nearly 15 years ago. One got a bit noisy so I replaced it last year with the identical model that I found for 800 baht on the clearance shelves at Thai Watsadu during their makeover. I have since cleaned the noisy one and it's as good as new. The one in the other bathroom has apparently stopped working but I am sure it's just the start capacitor but I haven't got around to swapping it out yet..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 5, 2020, 3:17 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
December 5, 2020, 1:34 pm
glalt wrote:
December 5, 2020, 12:37 pm
When I gave up smoking, some years ago my then wife lit a candle in the room whenever anyone came who smoked and the smell disappeared, a good trick to possibly help
Back in the clan cave, before exhaust fans had been invented, cracking a match killed the smell of any freshly plopped keich. I remembered this when exploring Thailand in my yoof and kept a box of matches in my toilet kit. The sulphur quickly masks the smell before quickly dissipating. Handy when sharing the bathroom with whichever gorgeous strumpet was besotted enough to pay her own bar fine to go home with me.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 5, 2020, 3:44 pm

tamada wrote:
December 5, 2020, 3:13 pm
Good tip on the Mitsubishi one glalt. I have plans for my man cave and although I'm not a smoker, quieter ventilation may be a factor.

We installed Hatari extractor fans in our two Udon home bathrooms when we built it nearly 15 years ago. One got a bit noisy so I replaced it last year with the identical model that I found for 800 baht on the clearance shelves at Thai Watsadu during their makeover. I have since cleaned the noisy one and it's as good as new. The one in the other bathroom has apparently stopped working but I am sure it's just the start capacitor but I haven't got around to swapping it out yet..
Whats them.big giant fat things u chug away on at the pub then .. blackpool.lock ?? .. or dont huge cigars count as smoking .

Btw i hope u dont smoke tgem at home ..yer missus would go.bomkers .

On topic.. ive always bought Hatari extractor fans .. good quailty , excellent price n i love that they come on when i switch the light on ..

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 5, 2020, 6:27 pm

^ I only smoke cigars outside and typically only when drinking so yes, in that regard I lied.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 6, 2020, 9:55 am

^ It is and definitely proscribed in enclosed spaces and restaurants. However, the bench tables outside the TAP or the round table at Connor's are sufficiently outside for the mutual benefit of the social smoker AND the cigarette Nazi.

My regular bar in Pattaya was in a regular, non-enclosed, fan cooled shithouse. We all agreed that the large main table where we all sat was smoker-freindly. I even bought a couple of those blue, "smoking permitted" signs for the adjacent wall in case a noob ciggy Nazi had an issue with it.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » December 6, 2020, 3:46 pm

Personally, I dont give a toss whether people smoke or not but, do you think it's reasonable to call people who object to others polluting their lungs "Nazis"?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 6, 2020, 6:22 pm

samster wrote:
December 6, 2020, 3:46 pm
Personally, I dont give a toss whether people smoke or not but, do you think it's reasonable to call people who object to others polluting their lungs "Nazis"?
Yes. AFAIK, the Waffen-SS don't have a proprietary claim to that descriptor. In hindsight, perhaps I should not have capitalized it. My apologies.

...Petal.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 7, 2020, 6:49 am

Good Googling, thanks. It's one if those laws that isn't sufficiently bothersome that we quickly learn the details. If it weren't for Covid, the anti-smoking nazis would possibly have their uniformed enforcers, brown shirts and all.

The TAP frontage allows for smokers to be (just about) 15' from either door.

Connor's would need to fit a door first. If needed, it could go in the shrubbery in the parking lot.

WRT the letter of the law, TiT.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 7, 2020, 7:04 am

I used to smoke and always regarded what people around me were doing, inside a eatery, I rarely smoked, after giving up I never chided anyone for smoking even in my house but I find Thais in particular will not smoke inside as I do not smoke and I have never said anything to them. However foreigners seem to think that they can smoke anywhere they feel like ( so ignorant and rude to others ) , so when the LAW stated no smoking inside a building I was quite happy, although being 5 metres away outside seemed to me to be ludicrous, images of Police walking around with tape measures spring to mind, To me a totally unenforceable addition to the law.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 7, 2020, 8:35 am

pepesgrill wrote:
December 7, 2020, 4:07 am
reading the actual letter of the law , feb 2018 new
smoking legislation. NO smoking on premises and if smoking outside must be at least 5 m from door

with a laundry list of public places this applies to
incl beaches. so most venues are struggling to be
accomodating to patrons who must light-up
Yep that pretty much it nailed .. smoking inside any venue thats AC closed in is a big no no n very impolite IMO .. smoking outside on an open air table terrace is fine..and if i choose to join who is there for a chinwag them.smoking is fine by me ..

Many places have designated smoking areas nowadays which makes it pretty clear where anyone wishing to partake in a puff should go..

Smoking in cars whilst driving is also a no no .. stinks even with the windows open .

DM proud to say ive never had a puff(ciggy or other) in my life .. NEVER and never intend to even try it .. i prefer needlecraft to relax me ...or even a few Changs on the rare occssion , if people choose to smoke up.to them their money wasted n for the most part theur lungs damaged .

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 7, 2020, 9:00 am

I am a smoker. After a good meal, a cigarette is part of the pleasure for me. That said, I do understand that my smoke takes away other peoples pleasure. For that reason I am considerate enough to go outside to complete my meal with a smoke. I also position myself so my smoke doesn't drift back inside. I also do this at open air restaurants even if smoking is permitted.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 7, 2020, 9:28 am

The exhaust fans in our bathrooms are Hatari. They are wired into the light switch so come on with the lights. They’re really quiet & I hardly notice them running.
The problem we get is when they are not running & there is a mild breeze outside the vents rattle & the blades whistle. Not the end of the world, just a bit irritating
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 11, 2020, 3:38 pm

I run the exhaust fan off my solar system when there is extra sunshine. Since the fan only uses 19 watts, it is not much of a load. Anyways I am very happy with the job it does.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mitsu ... .html?mp=1

Return to “House & Land”