Smart electric meters in Udon?

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
tamada
udonmap.com

Smart electric meters in Udon?

Post by tamada » April 11, 2020, 8:53 pm

Out of the blue last night, Mrs tam brought up something she meant to ask me a couple of days earlier in, "Do you want to change the electric meter?"

Now Mrs tam isn't savvy on matters electrical so it surprised me that she brought it up. She did visit the PEA office earlier in the week to pay a bill and check on a name change on the account. Maybe she got the idea from them? I will ask her anyway... later. In the meantime we still have the 'standard' 5/45 meter on a 4 bedroom house with 2 aircons, 2 hot water showers, a hot water heater, a washing machine that never rests, 2 large fridges and a small chest freezer so I don't think I need to change up to the next biggest size. Monthly bill is maybe 3200 in cool season and around 4800 during these current, hot months. It also still feeds the old Thai style home at the back of the property but there's only maybe a 45 W light bulb and a floor fan running in there.

So is the local PEA rolling out smart meters? Maybe that's what this is all about?

Ta
tam

glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Smart electric meters in Udon?

Post by glalt » April 12, 2020, 8:36 am

I have six solar panels on the roof of my house. When the electric company noticed them, they immediately installed a new meter. Later on they went even further and took a closer look. When they saw my battery banks, they determined that I wasn't feeding the grid which is against the law.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » April 12, 2020, 8:39 am

Smart meters are a possibility.
We had them back in the U.S.
The electric company could remotly read each meter over the power lines from the office.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » April 12, 2020, 8:46 am

Had in UK 20 years ago

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 12, 2020, 10:38 am

glalt wrote:I have six solar panels on the roof of my house. When the electric company noticed them, they immediately installed a new meter. Later on they went even further and took a closer look. When they saw my battery banks, they determined that I wasn't feeding the grid which is against the law.
Did they install a smart meter.
Smart meters should be able to measure flow into and out of the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 12, 2020, 11:06 am

Smart meters are already being installed in Bangkok, Jomtien and other places down south. It is possible they are the default installation on new-build homes in new villages. I was wondering if anyone was aware if our local PEA has mentioned anything about their introduction here, whether as an upgrade option or only on newbuilds when they get hooked up to the grid.

If the meter has an automatic scrolling LCD screen, that's a smart meter Thai-style.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 12, 2020, 12:59 pm

Barney wrote:
April 12, 2020, 10:38 am
glalt wrote:I have six solar panels on the roof of my house. When the electric company noticed them, they immediately installed a new meter. Later on they went even further and took a closer look. When they saw my battery banks, they determined that I wasn't feeding the grid which is against the law.
Did they install a smart meter.
Smart meters should be able to measure flow into and out of the property.

I don't know if it is a smart meter or not. A techie friend of mine told me it is an electronic meter that cannot run backwards

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 13, 2020, 5:18 pm

Will be interesting to see whether or not they stand up to the wind, rain, hail and shine as well as the old induction meter.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 13, 2020, 6:38 pm

bluejets wrote:Will be interesting to see whether or not they stand up to the wind, rain, hail and shine as well as the old induction meter.
Good point bluejets.
Surely they have done their homework. IP67 for the wet season as almost all meters are open to the elements .
As you would know is a lot more to a smart power grid than just the meter on your pole. Huge amount of monitoring of the whole system both internally and all over the country.
I had read some time back that the PEA was saddling up for the journey and role out with our Chinese mates at Huawei to provide the technology to move forward.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 13, 2020, 8:05 pm

Barney wrote:
April 13, 2020, 6:38 pm
bluejets wrote:Will be interesting to see whether or not they stand up to the wind, rain, hail and shine as well as the old induction meter.
Good point bluejets.
Surely they have done their homework. IP67 for the wet season as almost all meters are open to the elements .
As you would know is a lot more to a smart power grid than just the meter on your pole. Huge amount of monitoring of the whole system both internally and all over the country.
I had read some time back that the PEA was saddling up for the journey and role out with our Chinese mates at Huawei to provide the technology to move forward.

Hi Barney

You are being very optimistic thinking the Thai’s will go for a meter with a Rating of IP67. Not sure they can count that high :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/

Tried finding the IP Rating on the internet and found this. =D>

Looks like a Tender Specification from the PEA for the Smart Meters. Third Page down says Protection Class IP54. This is repeated on a other page where it talks about the Enclosure “IP54 or better” :-k :-k :-k :-k

Note: IP54 - significant protection from dust, protection from rain, spraying and splashing

https://www.pea.co.th/Webapplications/t ... 7-2014.pdf

pipoz4444

PEA-I-037-2014.pdf
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Return to “House & Land”