Gardening & Landscaping

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Barney
udonmap.com

Re: John's budget build

Post by Barney » April 7, 2019, 7:12 pm

John looking good.
I can only 2nd pipozz words on landscaping. Going the slow route as well and it ain’t half hot outside at the moment. And no rain to speak of.
I took your good advice on the can placed on top of the snapped off paw paw tree to stop rot and it is now branching out again.
There really should be a landscape gardening section on UM. Would be good to get tips from I imagine the many gardeners.
My 6 mangoes trees are hangin in and my tomatoes are struggling in the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 7, 2019, 8:36 pm

Barney wrote:
April 7, 2019, 7:12 pm
John looking good.
I can only 2nd pipozz words on landscaping. Going the slow route as well and it ain’t half hot outside at the moment. And no rain to speak of.
I took your good advice on the can placed on top of the snapped off paw paw tree to stop rot and it is now branching out again.
There really should be a landscape gardening section on UM. Would be good to get tips from I imagine the many gardeners.
My 6 mangoes trees are hangin in and my tomatoes are struggling in the heat.

Hi John and Barney

Paw Paw: Have about 40 tress growing at my place. They seem to take like duck to water, without too much care. I have a Man that just comes and sticks 30cm high baby Paw Paw tress in my yard every now and again. Within a year they are producing fruit.

Mango : I usually buy the small trees in a black plastic pot when they are about a meter high. Then dig a 50 cm deep by 40 cm round hole, fill it with the bag potting mix and through in the tree. Give it a drink or two in the dry season each week and leave it alone in the wet season. Then 2 -3 years down the track, it is about 2 meters high and starting to fruit. Not much care from my side

Rambutan: Have had trouble trying to get them to grow. Most have died on me

Mangosteen: Finally getting several to grow. The first batch died on me

Custard Apple: Have a few going well after many years. This one is about 3 - 4 meters high now, but has taken 6 years to get to this stage, from 1.0 meter. Started fruiting last year or the year before, but still only giving a dozen or so fruits each season. Hopefully more each year as time goes on.

Custard Apple Tree in South Driveway 03 April 2019 (1) (S).jpg
Custard Apple Tree in South Driveway 03 April 2019 (1) (S)
Some fruit trees can be hard work :confused: :confused:

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 8, 2019, 5:23 pm

Barney wrote:
April 7, 2019, 7:12 pm
John looking good.

I might start one with this initial link, so others can input their experience with Fruit Trees, Shrubs and the like

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/view ... start=1185

Some info Fruit Trees and insight into how long before they start to bare/give fruit.

Custard Apple Tree: Was about a 70 cm high to start with and was planted back in early 2015. It started giving me a few fruit last year and it appears that it will yield more this year. Now about 2 meter high and has been in the ground for 4 years - Gave its the first fruit after 3 Years.

Mango Tree of some Sorts. Was about 70 cm high when planted in June 2017 and is only just starting to yield a few fruit this year. Now is about 2 meter high and has been in the ground for 2 years - Gave me the first fruit after 2 Years.

Coconut Tree: Was about a meter high to start with (grown from one of my own coconuts) and was planted back in early 2015. Gave me a few coconuts last year and looks like given me a dozen or so this year. Now has a 2 meter high trunk and has been in the ground for 4 years - Gave me the first fruit after 3 Years.

Kaffir Lime Tree: Was about 40 cm high when planted in June 2017. It has now grown to about 120 cm high (with some TLC) mostly in the last 9 months and is now fruiting. Now in the ground for 2 years - Gave me the first fruit after only 2 Years

pipoz4444

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 10, 2019, 7:15 am

Kaffir Lime Tree: Was about 40 cm high when planted in June 2017. It has now grown to about 120 cm high (with some TLC) mostly in the last 9 months and is now fruiting. Now in the ground for 2 years - Gave me the first fruit after only 2 Years

Have a couple here. Fruit ends up in the bin.
Most Thai are only interested in the leaves, some like the new ones, others the old.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 26, 2019, 12:29 pm

I agree would be nice to have a gardening section. My experience with fruit trees ....

Jackfruit - cannot even remember what year they were planted. 2012 or 2013. Have 2 trees, planted when about one to 2 years old. Only ever had one fruit. The biggest tree has got a fungal infection under the bark for last 2 years, thought it would die, but seems to be recovering. Right at the back of the garden, somewhat neglected, rarely watered or fertilised, Just clear weeds once a year.

Mangoes - have tried to grow from seed a few times, but none survived. Beware of snails ring barking them when young. Biggest issue - somchai and his brush cutter - have lost 3 that way!

Limes - have grown one or 2 from seed, one produced about 100 limes over 2 years, then died. Maybe water logging or 'Thai' mulch (more about that later). Watch out for small caterpillars, typically look like gecko poo; they can strip the new growth in days. Do not seem to do well in open ground (possibly too wet in wet season).

Lemon - have tried from seed once, but none germinated. Some people have grown them successfully, like Truebrit.

Mandarin orange - have successfully germinated about a dozen in pots, but stop when 15-30 cm high, linger on but always died eventually.

Avocado - have had about a 50% success rate at germination (may take a month). I have grown in pots, about one in 3 just wither away and die over the next year, and half the rest when transplanted about 12-18 months old(careful not to break the taproot). Have 2 left about 1.5 metres tall; now 2-3 years old. Warning - need water when dry, leaves shrivel up quickly. But also do not like too wet.

Mangosteen - i have tried growing from seed, but damn hard! Get occasional ones to germinate, but get to 2 leaves and stay there. Die if just left in the sun for one day! They are a forest tree and apparently need to be grow in the shade for 5 years. I did manage to keep 2 plants alive for one year, then my wife decided they needed a bit of sun. I moved them back into shade that evening, but it was too late. Both died within 2 weeks.

Coconuts - not grown them myself, but F-in-law does plant one or two. Observation - beware of white squirrels - they destroy about half the nuts.

Papaya - we have no joy. Always have a few in the garden but rarely last even 12 months. Start loosing leaves one by one when about 9 months old, but rarely last long enough to give mature fruit. Something in the soil maybe.

Finally, a word or two about Thai expertise. You would think that being a farming family, they would know what they are doing. Sadly, they just never learn new ideas. Mulching - just pile weeds, grass (and soil) around the trunk of a tree; too deep, and too close to the trunk. I know that that tree will struggle, or, usually die. They certainly live longer without that help! I have a compost bin, which i gradually add weeds an other vegetable stuff too. Then along comes M-in-law, blitzes a patch of grass to make a vegetable plot, and fills the bin with all the grass sods. So much soil that i just end up with a raised bed of grass weeds.....
Somchai and the brush cutter have as i said destroyed numerous small trees, pineapples and other plants just because they didn't look first. M-i-L just as bad, has pulled up my vegetables because if she cannot recognise them, it must be a weed ... I have 2 choices, kill my M-in-law, or give up gardening. Chose the later to be on the safe side!

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 26, 2019, 2:46 pm

We seem to have been lucky with the limes, lemon, mango and especially papaya where the wife and family just throwed the seeds when eating (that tree has reached 7 mtrs tall) several around the land have sprouted up but the heat does kill many too. The only thing I see growing well and never dying are the bloody weeds lol they seem quite content with the soil

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: Gardening & Landscaping

Post by Barney » January 10, 2020, 3:29 pm

Couple of good stories there about fruit tree growing and some pitfalls and wins.
All my trees would be regarded as just past juvenile but getting going now.
Last couple of months and there has been some real good growth spurts.
Missus has been doing the trek across the Soi to the neighbours old sheds and taking their straw used for feeding their Kwai and cattle. Has been a good mulch and a bit of Kwai manure seems to me on the money so far. Watering is less now after mulching.
All the mangoes are doing great.
Not sure about avocados. They are healthy but stagnate in large growth.
Passion fruits are surviving and spreading along the fence and an old clothes hoist I threw in.
Coconuts soso and will take time.
Limes as with others are ok. Few different varieties. She me for just leaves and others for fruit.
Green Pepper trees are trying but like me on a morning after a bottle of red, a bit slow.
There’s a heap of other stuff she has planted and going well.
Ventured out today for more experimental trees from the nursery near the overpass and Tesco.
2 lychee, 2 Lemon but 2 different variety, will what survives. Couple of jackfruit, couple of others that she grabbed to make it an even 1,000 bht.

Bought the missus a new toy. A post hole digger. Once I show her how to put it together she will be busy planting trees and 150 mtrs of fencing on our land.
But it’s all a random plan and work in progress.
I do find it a good thing to keep me occupied in the morning after the school run.
Happy days to come. Things are good in Udon.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 21, 2020, 9:36 pm

Buying the post hole digger was a good idea. Would have taken many days of hard effort to dig in the hard ground. All 30 hedge plants done and dusted in 3 days.
The hedge will keep the dogs out of the garden.
Also use the post hole digger for all tree planting now.

ImageImageImage

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 21, 2020, 11:35 pm

My type of post hole digger.
Attachments
755625040848.jpg
755625040848.jpg (4.96 KiB) Viewed 7248 times

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 22, 2020, 3:59 am

Seems a tad excessive , the hole should be twice the size of the plant going in, if I am correct those bushes will grow into mini trees some 10 to 15 feet in height , so the closeness of the trees will have a detrimental effect on each other.

Barney
udonmap.com

Gardening & Landscaping

Post by Barney » January 22, 2020, 7:55 am

Stantheman wrote:My type of post hole digger.
Agree,
Is a good post hole digger if just tinkering for a few smaller holes. But life doesn’t have to be that difficult but on my back these days.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 22, 2020, 8:19 am

Khun Paul wrote:Seems a tad excessive , the hole should be twice the size of the plant going in, if I am correct those bushes will grow into mini trees some 10 to 15 feet in height , so the closeness of the trees will have a detrimental effect on each other.
Excessive? In what way? The trees or the digger?

Kuhn Paul, Im sure you do know your trees, and are correct about hole diameter, the digger only had a 200 mm auger, the holes were expanded a little with a shovel, but these plants will only grow to about 39 inches in height and that’s all and are the correct distance apart to keep my little dogs out of the yard area behind.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 22, 2020, 8:55 am

Okay if you say so, I planted a MINATURE Fur tree 15 years ago, cut it down a couple years back height 12ft diameter about 6 ft. It is the weather here, for a few years fine then the plant goes haywire

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 22, 2020, 9:34 am

Khun Paul wrote:Okay if you say so, I planted a MINATURE Fur tree 15 years ago, cut it down a couple years back height 12ft diameter about 6 ft. It is the weather here, for a few years fine then the plant goes haywire

I can understand your post regarding your experience but these are nothing like the fir tree but are specific hedge plants tied to restrict outward growth and with a nice small perfumed flower to attract the carpenter bees.
They can grow taller but will be pruned and cut to keep small.
Is only a fence.
The new battery hedge trimmer I got the missus will do most of the work later.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » January 22, 2020, 9:37 am

They look very much like our Jasmine bushes , if so the smell is beautiful .
They do not get tall , but if you dont keep them trimmed they will get sparce at the bottom , and a small dog will be able to get through easily .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 22, 2020, 10:00 am

Barney wrote:
January 22, 2020, 9:34 am
Khun Paul wrote:Okay if you say so, I planted a MINATURE Fur tree 15 years ago, cut it down a couple years back height 12ft diameter about 6 ft. It is the weather here, for a few years fine then the plant goes haywire

I can understand your post regarding your experience but these are nothing like the fir tree but are specific hedge plants tied to restrict outward growth and with a nice small perfumed flower to attract the carpenter bees.
They can grow taller but will be pruned and cut to keep small.
Is only a fence.
The new battery hedge trimmer I got the missus will do most of the work later.

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 22, 2020, 11:15 am

saint wrote:They look very much like our Jasmine bushes , if so the smell is beautiful .
They do not get tall , but if you dont keep them trimmed they will get sparce at the bottom , and a small dog will be able to get through easily .
Saint has be done some checking with my lady to get the correct name.
Translation from her for the shrub name is Mok.
Thanks for the info and will definitely look at the Jasmine type for elsewhere in the yard.
We bought these trees for 60 bht each for the 25 we wanted and the nursery gave us the rest they had in stock for free. Another 5 or 6 plants. My girl knows the owner and the nursery is the last one before the ring road on the main road left out of town, at the new tunnel. Apparently her water supply is not good at the moment because of new bridge and tunnel works. She is clearing stock until this lack of water problem is corrected if at all.
But I think the plants will become sparse at the bottom like you suggest. But our dog pictured is not small, he’s about 70kgs. He does not know how to be gentle with his big feet in the garden.
Any way the main point was that the post hole digger is a well spent 4,300 bht. Will purchase the additional 10 inch auger for the future 150 or 200 post holes for our next fencing exercise.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » January 22, 2020, 1:48 pm

What a handsome dog . I bet hes a gentle giant with you guys .
Anyways you wont have to worry about him getting through the hedge , he will just step over it .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 22, 2020, 1:53 pm

The plants are water jasmine ต้นโมก https://www.noahgardencentre.com.sg/pro ... smine-1-7m

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 4, 2020, 5:00 pm

Fruit trees coming in to season

Two types of Mango =D> =D>
HH Mangos  1 (Custom).jpg

HH Mangos 2 (Custom).jpg

HH Mangos at Front of House (Custom).jpg

Star Gooseberry \:D/ \:D/
HH Star Gooseberry Fruit (Custom).jpg
pipoz4444

Return to “House & Land”