Gardening & Landscaping

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
the-monk
udonmap.com

Re: Gardening & Landscaping

Post by the-monk » April 4, 2020, 5:27 pm

Wow, interesting. The star gooseberry, where did you find (buy) the plant ? How many years before the first harvest ?
Thanks, have a safe healthy day.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 4, 2020, 5:31 pm

Try them before you buy them, they’re also call mayom, I think they’re horrid.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 4, 2020, 5:45 pm

the-monk wrote:
April 4, 2020, 5:27 pm
Wow, interesting. The star gooseberry, where did you find (buy) the plant ? How many years before the first harvest ?
As you walk along the street you see the fruits all over the pavement, grab a handful and throw them in your garden, the trees grow like a weed and they fruit very quickly, they have a huge hard pip in the middle, they’re nothing like our gooseberries and the thai eat them pickled as well as fresh, personally I find them revolting.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 4, 2020, 7:16 pm

the-monk wrote:
April 4, 2020, 5:27 pm
Hi the-monk, I can't remember exactly where I bought the trees, but I am reasonably sure it might have been from the nursery Street by the Tesco on the ring Road. I think the name is Rangsina Market, where they are building the new overpass on the north side of the RR. There is a street full of nurseries with fruit trees. =D> =D>

The tree would have been no more than 1 meter high when I bought them. I planted the trees in Feb 2017, so they are three years old.

North Side - Some Tree Planting  (1).JPG

The reported health benefits of the Star Gooseberry are, they are also used to remedy bronchitis, biliousness, and treat digestive disorders such as urinary concretions, diarrhea, and piles. As is the case with amla, star gooseberry concoctions also act as a liver tonic and blood enrichment remedy. :-k :-k

I have no idea if they are sweet or sour. But I am thinking of one day making a Gooseberry Marmalade, out of them. I have 5 trees of the Star Gooseberry trees outback, so should be able to make a few jars, when the time comes. \:D/ \:D/

Same to you - have a safe healthy day

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 5, 2020, 12:02 pm

Your orchard garden is looking good pippoz.
I knew we had the star gooseberry trees, only 2 of them, but thought nothing of them, your post has me nvestigating what she really does have planted.Yours seem to be quite large fruits. I asked the missus where she got her trees from.
She dug em up from her family land in Khon Kaen and planted them here on our new abode.
She said she had planted them a while ago. She does eat the fruit and it’s sour. But the main reason was for the Fung Shui effect around the property. Maybe there is a method to her total madness.
One planted out the front gate fence area and one planted out the back boundary.
Your mangoes are growing nicely and fruiting well. I have 7 mango trees only and there are 4 variety.

Handy to have a larger patch of land with trees and a vegetable patch to fuss over early in the morning, in this Carona time. I was never a garden bloke but slowly changing as time fades ones life.
I am now wearing my old work boots in the yard instead of my crocs as have been stepping close to a few snakes of late.
I recently drive to Kalisan and back heading down via Kumphawapi, never travelled that route. Was amazed at the huge amount of mango farms. Established orchards and plots of land just planting of trees.
1,000’s of trees.
Keep up the good work with your propagation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 5, 2020, 5:14 pm

Hi Barney and it is propagation from a distance. I am miles away from the House, with not much chance of getting back until July.

Buy that time the will have eaten all my fruit and I will have to buy it back from the local market :cry: :cry:

pipoz4444

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 5, 2020, 5:21 pm

I did what you did Barney and asked the wife what she is growing -

Pomelo
Plums
Cherries (not as we'd know them)
Pomegranate
Lychee
Dates
Figs
Lemons
Limes
Oranges
Coconuts
Mangoes
Bananas
Avocados
Mulberries
Cabbage
Kale
Cauliflower
Peas
Beans
Potatoes
Radishes
Chillies
Lemon grass
Galangale
Coriander
Spring onions
Cocoa
Morning glory
Jack fruit
Dockey
Pears
Beetroots
Pak choi
Cucumbers
Pumpkins
Holy basil
Sweet basil
Asparagus
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Tamarind
Papaya
Guava
Egg plants
Aubergines
Fish

Lazy cow hasn't even planted any carrots and I'd like some grapefruits, I'm really proud of her, it seems everything she plants grows, a natural ability I guess. She's just had some more seeds delivered so I wonder what's next?

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 5, 2020, 6:16 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
April 5, 2020, 5:14 pm
Hi Barney and it is propagation from a distance. I am miles away from the House, with not much chance of getting back until July.

Buy that time the will have eaten all my fruit and I will have to buy it back from the local market :cry: :cry:

pipoz4444
This is a slightly different Mango that I have on the Farm, Its longer, more pointy and sweeter. :lol: :lol:

Mango On the Farm 05 April 2020  (1) (Custom).jpg

Mango On the Farm 05 April 2020  (3) (Custom).jpg

On the Farm 05 April 2020 (1f) (Custom).jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 5, 2020, 8:35 pm

vincemunday wrote:I did what you did Barney and asked the wife what she is growing -

Pomelo
Plums
Cherries (not as we'd know them)
Pomegranate
Lychee
Dates
Figs
Lemons
Limes
Oranges
Coconuts
Mangoes
Bananas
Avocados
Mulberries
Cabbage
Kale
Cauliflower
Peas
Beans
Potatoes
Radishes
Chillies
Lemon grass
Galangale
Coriander
Spring onions
Cocoa
Morning glory
Jack fruit
Dockey
Pears
Beetroots
Pak choi
Cucumbers
Pumpkins
Holy basil
Sweet basil
Asparagus
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Tamarind
Papaya
Guava
Egg plants
Aubergines
Fish

Lazy cow hasn't even planted any carrots and I'd like some grapefruits, I'm really proud of her, it seems everything she plants grows, a natural ability I guess. She's just had some more seeds delivered so I wonder what's next?
Wow Vince that’s a lay down mazaire call. I ain’t got a 10 call to challenge that so you get the 500 points, but, you have almost motivated me to collate what we have in the yard and where it’s planted. It is something I was intending to do. Don’t ask me why, isolation does strange things to oneself.
I’ll be back with the list when done. I’m limited with the time aspect and only have mornings to work before the heat.
Also must allow time for my 30 minute treadmill power walk and 30 minutes in the pool. But staying healthy with eating habits and exercise during Carona will have to be another thread.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 5, 2020, 8:55 pm

Barney, I can't claim any credit other than digging over a patches for the dear lady wife to grow stuff in, I know she's been having seeds brought back from the UK etc and now she's got time to plant them, we are pretty much self sufficient with the veg now, I reckon she'll be selling outside the gate soon 5555

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 6, 2020, 4:25 am

If your spouse is Thai, it'd be handy to know the good juju trees from the bad. Way back in 1997-1999, the Bangkok Post had an article about fengshui and trees. When we built our house in 1998, our neighbor gave us a jackfruit tree and told us to plant it near the house. About 10 years after we planted it, a large tree came crashing down and would have taken out a corner of our roof......had it not been for the jackfruit tree stopping it in its path. Then, another 10 years later, I was cutting a large limb of the same jackfruit tree....on a ladder with a chainsaw (I know, I know), when the limb snapped and knocked me to the ground. The chainsaw was still running but luckily fell away from me. I had the wind knocked out of me....but all my limbs were intact. Had the tree been some other type, I'd likely have reenacted Chainsaw Massacre right in my back yard.

Also, shortly after we moved in, I planted a frangipani (my wife called it a ต้นลางทรม.....but I think she has the spelling wrong) in our yard. She told me the tree was bad juju for a yard.......so being the good husband I am, I immediately took it out. More modern Thais have a more modern-good-juju name for the tree now and it's ok to plant in the yard (although my wife would never approve, even with the good name). It's along the lines of so many Thais (many many many) changing their name because some fortune teller or monk (one and the same, sometimes) told them their name was the source of all their problems.

Naturally, you can landscape your property as you wish, but if you find Thais (or your spouse) avoiding your yard, the problem might be the plants you've chosen to put in the ground.

download/file.php?id=40105&sid=8f1a7d1a ... &mode=view

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social ... od-fortune

Barney
udonmap.com

Gardening & Landscaping

Post by Barney » April 6, 2020, 10:40 am

Good point Parrot,
Fung Shui is something that some Thais take seriously, my missus is one of them. Most of her thoughts are done by stealth and muggins here is none the wiser.
After your post I questioned her on any Fung Shui thoughts she has done for the yard and house, this morning was a slow one while waiting for the power to come back on.
She did consult a Fung Shui person for the design of our house. Minimal changes though. I had the front door aligned with the back door so you could see front to back. Cannot have that.
I suppose there are individual thoughts for the Thais for outside yard plants. But some are the universally the same.
Couple of examples.
Like yours Parrot our Jackfruit trees have been placed in an allocated position. One out the front and 2 out the back.
There can be no plants with spikes, needles or thorns out the front of the house. Example is the lime trees with larger thorns, the type which the leaves are used for Som Tam.
There are other plants she has placed for her reasons. I am not consulted because I am told by her that I believe in nothing. 55. Don’t worry she will make sure I’m safe.
But it’s all really an individual thought process I suppose.
I’m just here for the ride and loving it.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 23, 2020, 4:08 pm

Today's harvest \:D/ \:D/
Mangos on 23 April 2020 (1) (Custom).jpg
Mangos on 23 April 2020 (2) (Custom).jpg
Mangos on 23 April 2020 (3) (Custom).jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 5, 2020, 6:48 pm

As the weather channel thread on UM advised hot hot hot. Not a breath of wind all day. Just finished a sweat drenched couple of hours in the yard. Cleaning up and some hedge trimming with the machine.
A few plants feeling the heat with drier leaves. They are the only ones who got a drink today along with the shaded delicate plants.
Plenty of butterflies today and both the carpenter bees about.
Haven’t seen a snake for over a week, they must be resting in a nice hidey hole.
One pest we can’t seem to get rid of is the fire ants. Found the biggest nest yet. Truly lucky as we were standing almost on them. Once they swarm over my feet unnoticed i’m toast. Could not walk with swelling and pain one time. Half a can of bagon did the trick once their nest is dug a bit.
Good luck to all those trying to keep the garden alive.
4 chang in the freezer right now and ready to be emptied.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » May 5, 2020, 7:20 pm

Well i water my flowering plants twice a day, so far i am doing ok, the hibiscus keep begging for more, the orchids are just starting to bloom, my only concern is my tomato plants which are very tall, too tall ( 4ft), i keep trying to find the best location. Right now the noon sun is just about your head, difficult to find shady areas. Hot but enjoyable... I keep a good supply of icy cold H2O.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 5, 2020, 8:38 pm

My french beans suffer from sudden death syndrome in this heat - i had 10 plants four weeks ago, down to 2 now ...... Tomatoes gave up the ghost 2-3 weeks ago. Lettuce struggling and bitter. I have to water my 2 Avocado trees every day, but one is slowly dying back in the heat (nearly lost that one last year).

The one veg plant which thrives now is Okra. I pick every other day, only 5 plants, but that is enough.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 6, 2020, 7:25 am

When I had my garden initially landscaped we were then in the grip[ of a very dry period and although watering daily it seemed not to be enough. My landscaper orderd and dumped on the front garden 6000 litres of water in the late afternoon, explaining that the sheer amount of water would filter down to the lower regions and assist the plants . While watering just kept them alive it did not promote root growth nor did it keep the plants healthy.
I feel we are again in a situation where the underground water levels are decreasingly becoming lower and watering alone is not going to reinvigorate plants with deeper roots including trees.

Dig around the affected plants, breaking up the soil and dump the water on all affected areas. A 6000 litre tanker load is about 400/600 baht . Cheaper than replanting semi mature plants and trees..

For info, I needed two loads to ensure plant survival . Also when watering also wash the plants, clean off the dirt and debris allow the leaves to breathe overnight as well. Drooping leaves is not necessarily a sign of lack of water, just the plants inability to keep the leaves watered correctly as it is too hot .

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 6, 2020, 7:30 am

We have found our water table has dropped considerably this summer, the well doesn't always last until the wife finishes watering the plants. Does anyone know if digging further down will risk us hitting salt?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 6, 2020, 7:34 am

Always that chance of digging deeper, worse water or None

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 6, 2020, 7:43 am

vincemunday wrote:
May 6, 2020, 7:30 am
We have found our water table has dropped considerably this summer, the well doesn't always last until the wife finishes watering the plants. Does anyone know if digging further down will risk us hitting salt?
My well initially was as yours currently is, however two years later it seemed to not run out at all. Digging deeper will certainly from my experience break the seal between a fresh water pool and the salt water . Which is predominately what is under a goodly proportion of Thai land , according to the geographical surveys of under Thailand where the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean are connected through deep geological faults underground.
So if your running out , consider greater storage capability of another well elsewhere

Return to “House & Land”