Mitsubishi water pump - upsize?

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
tamada
udonmap.com

Mitsubishi water pump - upsize?

Post by tamada » June 5, 2019, 1:41 pm

While I was away, the home water pump started to crater. It's the original, +14 year old Mitsubishi WP-205R (200 W) that was installed when we built the place. A few parts like the pressure sensing switch and diaphragm have been replaced with original spares to keep it pretty much trouble free over the years but the steel pressure tank has now sprung a pin-hole leak so assume corrosion has taken its toll.

I will go and buy a replacement and for convenience of not having to change the elbows and connectors, I will most likely get the same make/model. However... I have been looking at the next model up which is the WP-305R (300 W) and asking those with water pump experience, if it is worth the upgrade? The price differential is maybe only 800 baht?

My reasoning: the house is the same, single storey size as it was when built but there are more occupants so more (frequent) showers and cooking and washing up plus the washing machine easily does 3 or 4 loads/day versus the one daily family wash from before. If the larger HP unit will have an easier time handling the increased water load versus the current, smaller one? Just want it to be the last water pump I buy.

In the meantime, I can get a replacement stainless steel tank for the buggered pump on lazada so I will refurbish that as a spare... just in case.

Ta
tam

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Mitsubishi water pump - upsize?

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 5, 2019, 1:52 pm

tamada wrote:
June 5, 2019, 1:41 pm
However... I have been looking at the next model up which is the WP-305R (300 W) and asking those with water pump experience, if it is worth the upgrade? The price differential is maybe only 800 baht?
It's actually not the next model, that's the WP-255
IMG_7991-2.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 5, 2019, 5:42 pm

Rightly or wrongly I was told the WP stood for "Well Pump" & seeing as I was pumping to outlets from a storage tank filled by town water I needed an EP pump. :?
The prices only incremented up by a few hundred Baht as the pumps got more powerful up to the EP405 where the price doubled for some reason. I just went for the most powerful pump EP355 before this huge jump which should future proof our set up for a good few years
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 5, 2019, 7:02 pm

Niggly wrote:
June 5, 2019, 5:42 pm
Rightly or wrongly I was told the WP stood for "Well Pump" & seeing as I was pumping to outlets from a storage tank filled by town water I needed an EP pump. :?
The prices only incremented up by a few hundred Baht as the pumps got more powerful up to the EP405 where the price doubled for some reason. I just went for the most powerful pump EP355 before this huge jump which should future proof our set up for a good few years
The EP range are constant pressure pumps and one of the recommended uses is for a an instant hot water shower as you get little variation in heat of the water due to the constant pressure.

The WP range are well pumps and equivalent power pumps are virtually the same price in both ranges.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 5, 2019, 7:12 pm

Aah, that probably explains why the EP was recommended then. My pumps are feeding hot water heaters.
Last edited by Niggly on November 12, 2019, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2019, 7:23 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 5, 2019, 1:52 pm
tamada wrote:
However... I have been looking at the next model up which is the WP-305R (300 W) and asking those with water pump experience, if it is worth the upgrade? The price differential is maybe only 800 baht?

IMG_7991-2.jpeg
Yes it is so is it a more compatible upgrade? Physically, these 3 are almost identical and the important part is the inlet/outlet are the same height so 'plug and play' with no buggering about with pipework. Should I stick with what works or build in a bit of redundancy?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2019, 7:33 pm

There is a well on our property and I think the original plan was to use that, hence the WP- was purchased. The well supply was deemed to be questionable so we opted for a couple of concrete tanks made from well pipes which is filled from the city supply. As far as I know, they've never run out and since the WP- pump was already purchased, we stuck with that. Worked great for almost 15 years. The only issue we've had with the home electric showers is when the city power drops below 180 V in the early evening and although the water pressure isn't affected, they don't heat the water enough.
Last edited by tamada on June 5, 2019, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 5, 2019, 7:35 pm

The only advice our 'handy man' gave me when up-sizing our pump was don't go too big or you'll blow all the joints in the pipes and be forever fixing joints.

We took his advice and if it wasn't dark I'd go check the model number and tell you (can do this in the morning if its helpful).

We have a single storey house with 2 bathrooms and the pressure is ok for showering but not great. For everything else it is more than adequate.

Good luck.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2019, 7:44 pm

deankham wrote:
June 5, 2019, 7:35 pm
The only advice our 'handy man' gave me when up-sizing our pump was don't go too big or you'll blow all the joints in the pipes and be forever fixing joints.

We took his advice and if it wasn't dark I'd go check the model number and tell you (can do this in the morning if its helpful).

We have a single storey house with 2 bathrooms and the pressure is ok for showering but not great. For everything else it is more than adequate.

Good luck.
Good point well taken. The father-in-law who supervised our home build insisted on the highest-grade blue pipe for exactly that reason. The thinner-walled, cheaper stuff can become a liability as things get older. He was a journeyman builder in Bangkok before the 1997 financial collapse and had seen all the construction shortcuts.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 5, 2019, 8:39 pm

tamada wrote:
June 5, 2019, 7:23 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 5, 2019, 1:52 pm
tamada wrote:

IMG_7991-2.jpeg
Yes it is so is it a more compatible upgrade? Physically, these 3 are almost identical and the important part is the inlet/outlet are the same height so 'plug and play' with no buggering about with pipework. Should I stick with what works or build in a bit of redundancy?
If I were buying in your shoes I would get the 305, a little more capacity the same pump pressure.

FWIW our pump can supply about 3 times the pressure that yours does.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 6, 2019, 4:35 pm

i have just bought this pump for a friend in need , https://www.lazada.co.th/-i307098115-s5 ... =true&mp=1, these pumps are a lot stronger and more powerfull than the regular water pump type , and no need of pressure tank , simply use a pump controller @ 850 baht ...
they start at 355W ...al models here http://www.bestpump-thailand.com/%E0%B8 ... 99MCH-355S
and also on lazada ...electronic pump control https://www.lazada.co.th/-i273714620-s4 ... &mp=1...as info.. ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 14, 2019, 5:30 pm

Got a discount with the #1 card at Thai Watsadu so the new 305 cost 6657 baht. I was going to buy from their discounted ex-display rack where it would have been around 5600 baht but there's no warranty on those pumps and the electric pressure switch was missing. The switches can be bought for about 300 baht on lazada or at any of the water pump shops downtown but I decided to get a new one and rest easier.

But is someone wants to save money, these ex-display pumps are new but just without box, warranty and paperwork and one of them needs the screw-on pressure switch. They would probably swap the switch from another, similar sized model on the same display if you got the right sales person.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 22, 2019, 7:44 am

some small update about the mitsu pump i have posted before , finally installed ...
IMG_20190621_155035[1] (Copy).jpg
and working very good , a lot pressure with a head of 15M to the house and 7 faucets opened...
no need to buy this expensive model at ridiculous high price , = same pump with pressure switch/pressure tank /plastic cover for almost 11.000 baht ,http://www.bestpump-thailand.com/%E0%B8 ... 9UMCH-655S
just install the pump with a pump controller,same result and way cheaper ...
a lot stronger than the classic pumps ,about durability we will have to wait and see...as info ;)

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 22, 2019, 8:14 am

kopkei wrote:
June 22, 2019, 7:44 am
some small update about the mitsu pump i have posted before , finally installed ...
IMG_20190621_155035[1] (Copy).jpg
and working very good , a lot pressure with a head of 15M to the house and 7 faucets opened...
no need to buy this expensive model at ridiculous high price , = same pump with pressure switch/pressure tank /plastic cover for almost 11.000 baht ,http://www.bestpump-thailand.com/%E0%B8 ... 9UMCH-655S
just install the pump with a pump controller,same result and way cheaper ...
a lot stronger than the classic pumps ,about durability we will have to wait and see...as info ;)
What is the differential set to on the pressure controller & is it adjustable or set such as 1.8 bar on 1.4 bar off.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 22, 2019, 4:55 pm

hi pal52, here some specs of the pump controller
https://llaspa.en.made-in-china.com/pro ... -Ls-3.html
i think you can only change the max pressure on top (screw - +),we have connected it with 2 pumps ,starting at the lowest pressure , and it is working perfect ,all 2 pumps start and stop ok , and a lot of pressure ,
the other pump is a cheap one ,1.900 baht /1hp, and also working well , only not to be used near the home because noisy
IMG_20190607_174506[1] (Copy).jpg
i know the pressure at the manometer is at 5 Bar(72 psi)...with the mitsu pump...
next time we stop by (pienongs baan noak) i will look at some more pressure measurements and update ... ;)

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 22, 2019, 6:37 pm

Thanks Kopkei
I did not think you would be able to change the differential at that price.
I have just changed my pressure switch on my well pump to start 1.4 bar and cut off 1,8 bar.
I had to order it from Lazada as all the pressure switches available in Udon were 1.4 bar & cut off 1.6 bar.
It makes a big difference in maintaining water pressure with a couple of outlets operating plus stops the pump starting & stopping so much thus giving a longer life.
I suppose you would have to watch it to note the starting & stopping pressures.

Return to “House & Land”