surveillance cameras

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: surveillance cameras

Post by Niggly » March 30, 2021, 9:37 am

Mrs N insisted on cameras when we built the house so she could watch things when we were away.
Personally, I don't like the idea of watching someone ransacking the property & stealing stuff & not being able to do anything about it, but hey, happy wife, happy life.

One of the exterior perimeter cameras actually caught a chancer a while back walking up to some plants on the border that Mrs N had bought the previous day, pulling them up & putting them in his ruck sack. She went apeshit & got me to download the film & take various close up stills of the culprit which she marched off down to the Police Station with. They just shrugged & said he didn't have any money so it was pointless pursuing him.
Moral of this story, the cameras were a waste of money

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » March 30, 2021, 10:19 am

Niggly wrote:
March 30, 2021, 9:37 am
Personally, I don't like the idea of watching someone ransacking the property & stealing stuff & not being able to do anything about it,
I can understand that, but if your home is broken into and you get a video of the thief at least you have something for the police.
UFF DA!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 30, 2021, 10:27 am

Jello wrote:
March 30, 2021, 8:28 am
How long will your ups keep your cameras running?
That is totally dependent on how much you are prepared to spend and the load on the UPS. Anywhere between a few seconds to hours/days/months
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » March 30, 2021, 10:43 am

Understand. Just curious what you might have and how it’s working for you.

I have a entry level APC back-ups 625. With only my WiFi plugged into it (And power cut) it kept the WiFi up for about an hour.
UFF DA!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 30, 2021, 10:58 am

AlexO wrote:
March 29, 2021, 9:56 pm
tamada wrote:
March 29, 2021, 10:27 am
Depending on budgets and who's selling the system, there are cameras that need separate DC power and cameras that have internal, rechargeable batteries. There are also cameras where power is provided over the LAN cable. Then there are Wi-Fi enabled cameras and Wi-Fi only cameras.

Then there are UPS's.

...and chocolate fireguards.
Or just get a big dog or two.
Had 4 dogs, until someone dropped some baits through the fence. Three were dumb enough to eat it and died. :confused:

The fourth, a German Shepard (Female) was smart enough not to eat it, either that or she was too slow in getting to the dinner table. Anyway the GS survived. Pretty sure I know who the C..t. is.

Off to buy another German Shepard, as they are a good of breed dog

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 30, 2021, 11:22 am

I tried using a UPS for my Yi Home cameras. I had the UPS before I went solar for the house. The bottom line is that the UPS simply wasn't big enough to power the cameras during a fairly long outage. The next morning the UPS was dead along with the cameras. That's when I went 100 percent solar in my garage for the cameras. One 165 watt solar panel, a 125 AH sealed battery, a 10 amp charge controller and an oversized 500 watt inverter. It just keeps working and with no maintenance at all.

My dog is a pretty good watch dog. He barks at strangers and they are afraid to open the gate. They are not sure if he would bite or not. Unfortunately he ignores people he knows. Thieves are more likely to be people or relatives that the dog knows, thus no warning.

The solar system was cheaper than a new much bigger UPS that would run the cameras for a day.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 30, 2021, 11:42 am

While I note with interest others posting about their Hi-tech security systems , one has to wonder what the hell are they protecting , as someone said the theft of items will most likely come from friends or relatives of the family.
Thais generally do not go for ad hoc burglaries or even walk in burglaries however leave it unattended for long enough it will disappear .
When I came her I asked the previous owner, what security did he employ he said none, just leave the poutside as it is, new lights ok, but nothing overt, showing you have wealth or expensive goodies ready for the takin g and they will probably ignore you . Example, do not go into a fairly modest village and build a state of the art, big residence with all the bells and whistles will put some peoples backs up , plus if you live with a Thai family their friends, relatives etc have access as well. A recipe for disaster or theft.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » March 30, 2021, 12:51 pm

glalt wrote:
March 30, 2021, 11:22 am
I tried using a UPS for my Yi Home cameras. I had the UPS before I went solar for the house. The bottom line is that the UPS simply wasn't big enough to power the cameras during a fairly long outage. The next morning the UPS was dead along with the cameras. That's when I went 100 percent solar in my garage for the cameras. One 165 watt solar panel, a 125 AH sealed battery, a 10 amp charge controller and an oversized 500 watt inverter. It just keeps working and with no maintenance at all.

My dog is a pretty good watch dog. He barks at strangers and they are afraid to open the gate. They are not sure if he would bite or not. Unfortunately he ignores people he knows. Thieves are more likely to be people or relatives that the dog knows, thus no warning.

The solar system was cheaper than a new much bigger UPS that would run the cameras for a day.
Thanks for that Glalt, good info. I’ll look into doing the same. Those UPS units are quite expensive.
UFF DA!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 30, 2021, 1:25 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 30, 2021, 11:42 am
While I note with interest others posting about their Hi-tech security systems , one has to wonder what the hell are they protecting , as someone said the theft of items will most likely come from friends or relatives of the family.
"People or persons"

It's not only materials goods that one protects :-k

But then again if you feel so safe, leave your car or motorbike outside the front gate with the keys in it. \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 30, 2021, 2:11 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
March 30, 2021, 1:25 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
"People or persons"

It's not only materials goods that one protects :-k

But then again if you feel so safe, leave your car or motorbike outside the front gate with the keys in it. \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444
Again missed the point,oh never mind .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 30, 2021, 3:01 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
........, as someone said the theft of items will most likely come from friends or relatives of the family.
Thais generally do not go for ad hoc burglaries or even walk in burglaries however leave it unattended for long enough it will disappear .
Very interesting.

I don't suppose you (or glalt for that matter) have any evidence to support this - particularly the "friends and family" bit?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 30, 2021, 3:07 pm

Well in truth no evidence only stories as recounted by many over the years. Thais generally are opportunistic thieves, leave it out, unattended it will go . behind locked gates and doors generally they will not enter , some will but generally not .
However if they feel upset for almost anything then the Red Mist comes down and anything is game as we have seen regarding relationships, perceived snubs etc.

Never known a nationality like them for getting upset over nothing , often unable to ascertain the problem.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 30, 2021, 3:29 pm

As I suspected, totally anecdotal then - with a dash of bigotry thrown in for good measure. :?

Relieved I will be able to allow the relos and friends into the family home again.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 30, 2021, 4:02 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 30, 2021, 3:01 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
........, as someone said the theft of items will most likely come from friends or relatives of the family.
Very interesting.

I don't suppose you (or glalt for that matter) have any evidence to support this - particularly the "friends and family" bit?
They may not, but in my village there are some people who will rehome anything that isn’t nailed down & virtually everyone is related to some degree, so extended family or friends. Also my aunt-in-law has very recently been burgled.

Why do you think security bars on windows and doors are almost universal here? Hint, It isn’t to look pretty or to keep up with the neighbours.

Our house is extremely unusual as for us the windows are actually secure from anything but a really determined thief, so we don’t need the bars.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 30, 2021, 4:46 pm

STWW

Now there is a nice phase "Rehome" . A bit like babysitting your new TV, Power Saw or Electrical Extension Cord, because they thought it looked lonely, at your place. \:D/ \:D/

We also noticed something similar in Indonesia, back in the 90s with the Maids. They had a habit of placing small things out of site and then they would eventually disappear for good. You could never remember when or where you last saw it.

When, I asked an Indonesian colleague, he explained, it was quite common.
1.First she will place it out of sight
2.Then she will wait and see if you ask where it is. :-$ :-$
3.After a while when you don't ask for it, she assume you don't need it anymore and so she will take it to her home for safe keeping until you ask, “Just in case anyone else steals it” :-k
4.But if you do ask her have you seen it, when it is at her home, she will politely offer to look for it for you. And “Lo and Behold”, it will reappear, when she comes to you in a few days’ time, as says, Sir, I have found what you were looking for. All so nice and you will Reward her with a few dollars. \:D/ No loss of face by anyone. :-& =D>

Normally some linen, food, cutlery or glasses etc.

In Thailand, keeping you garden tools, shovels, rakes, wheelbarrows etc. nailed down when you are not there, is a challenge [-( Hammers and screw drivers are another nicety.

pipoz4444

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 30, 2021, 6:10 pm

jackspratt wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
Very interesting.

Before they discovered that the cameras do work, a brother in law and a nephew got caught. Obviously you either have nothing of value to steal and/or live in a tightly watched neighborhood.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 30, 2021, 6:20 pm

I keep my good tools in the house. A friend of mine was in dire financial trouble. He sold me a large tool chest full of decent tools. They have disappeared a wrench at a time until only the big stuff that won't fit in a pocket is left.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 30, 2021, 7:26 pm

I can remember back a number of years ago, (I hadn't been on the scene very long), when the kids Piggy banks disappeared from the house. Probably about 4000 B in coins, in each. They were heavy. The Kids were only aged 7 and 3 and had been saving money from collecting, boxing and selling empty beer bottles.

On their way to the corner shop, they found remnants of their Piggy banks in the grass, about 300m up the road and were devastated.

When someone wants money for gambling or booze, nothing is sacred. =;

Piggy Banks.jpg

pipoz4444

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 30, 2021, 7:32 pm

glalt wrote:
March 30, 2021, 6:10 pm
jackspratt wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
Very interesting.

Before they discovered that the cameras do work, a brother in law and a nephew got caught. Obviously you either have nothing of value to steal and/or live in a tightly watched neighborhood.
Or a third alternative - I married into a better quality family, and neighbourhood. ;)

Return to “House & Land”