Low Budget Village Build For In-Laws

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
bluejets
udonmap.com

Re: Low Budget Village Build For In-Laws

Post by bluejets » March 7, 2019, 7:35 am

I'd say you were just plain lucky that none of the dwelling was affected.
I've seen blows like this take out one house and leave the one right next to it unscathed.
Looking at the dwelling roof I wouldn't class it as a rating that would supersede that which moved a container 10 ft sideways.

Good to see that all your hard work didn't go down the drain though.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » March 7, 2019, 12:11 pm

bluejets wrote:
March 7, 2019, 7:35 am
I'd say you were just plain lucky that none of the dwelling was affected.
I've seen blows like this take out one house and leave the one right next to it unscathed.
Looking at the dwelling roof I wouldn't class it as a rating that would supersede that which moved a container 10 ft sideways.

Good to see that all your hard work didn't go down the drain though.
Yeah, we are very fortunate the house is okay. I have no plans to rebuild the roof over the containers. Don't argue with Mother Nature, right?
The best gadget is the human brain.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » March 7, 2019, 3:38 pm

ajarnudon wrote:
March 4, 2019, 12:02 am
Wow. That was some storm. The western suburbs of Udon copped it, and I am guessing that you may be that way. Barney's place is NW - how did you fare Barney?
BTW, the 3" thick insulation batts in silver plastic that I am using are 180 THB for 60 cm X 4 M.
Thanks for the info on the insulation. The house is pretty much due north of Udon, about ten minutes from Ban Na Kha.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » August 31, 2021, 2:03 pm

Brief update for anyone interested. Improvements made recently: interior tiled, metal louvers outside parts of the Thai kitchen exposed to wind and rain; cement walkway around the entire house; rain guttering, drop-down ceilings in all rooms except Thai kitchen; 70square meter tiled patio covered with Bluescope panels, etc.

Grandma and Grandpa are thrilled to have a house, and it's become the main gathering place for extended family in the village. It's a great place for my wife and kids to be when we visit the village.

The budget is up to around 425K THB. Super cheap for a really solid village house. Still want to put in a proper driveway/parking area, air conditioners, build a retaining wall, maybe sell my storage containers and build another structure. Even with the rise in cost of building materials, a lot can be done on a budget, with Okay quality if you're careful and are lucky to find good work crews.
Attachments
house8.jpg
house7.jpg
house6.jpg
house5.jpg
house3.jpg
house2.jpg
house1.jpg

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » January 3, 2022, 1:29 pm

Far out! Sounds like a horrific and stressful experience. Can't be good for your relationship as well as everything else. We are hoping to build near Phibunrak in the next 12 months. It sounds like you really need to be there though.

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » January 3, 2022, 1:30 pm

Far out! Sounds like a horrific and stressful experience. Can't be good for your relationship as well as everything else. We are hoping to build near Phibunrak in the next 12 months. It sounds like you really need to be there though.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » February 28, 2022, 5:22 pm

Sorry for the late response. It was stressful on the relationship a couple of times but mostly not so bad. And yes it's so important to be there if you can. good luck with your build.

Return to “House & Land”