Front doors

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Front doors

Post by Nigglyb » November 15, 2018, 2:13 am

I had huge success with my quest for wall lights so throwing this out to the great & the good of the forum world again :lol:

Front doors
I don’t want one of those ornate wooden double front doors which seem to be popular. I’m after a double UPVC or composite door with a full height push/pull handle. They seem really popular in the UK with loads of websites showing different designs & patterns. I’ve tried Windsor, Arc, Deku, Europvc, Trade UPVC as well as the usual suspects like Global etc. None seem to show any designs on their websites that I can see & none have replied to my request for a brochure.

Example

Added complication is I’m in the UK at the moment so can’t visit anywhere
Any suggestions?
Cheers

May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Front doors

Post by vincemunday » November 15, 2018, 6:05 am

Just saw you want uPVC, so my comment not pertinent but in the UK a lot of people will use door blanks (fire check doors) which would work fine if you treat them properly. If you decide to try the door blank (very inexpensive) method I can help with advice, I did lots of them when I owned my joinery in the UK.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 15, 2018, 6:58 am

Those doors look more commercial than domestic . Although looking at how they are hinged , im guessing not that heavy . You may well have to get them imported or custom made.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » November 15, 2018, 7:38 am

Custom making them is a breeze, we used to knock them up 20 or 30 at a time for schools.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » November 15, 2018, 3:46 pm

saint wrote:
November 15, 2018, 6:58 am
Those doors look more commercial than domestic . Although looking at how they are hinged , im guessing not that heavy . You may well have to get them imported or custom made.
Now you've pointed it out, yes they do look commercial don't they. I'd not really noticed & the example picture I cribbed is a domestic property on a normal UPVC installers website so not thought about it.
On reflection, I probably like the style for its rugged looks particularly as the kids are likely to be slamming it on a regular basis & notwithstanding Mrs N pushing & pulling it with grubby hands. She doesn't really do gentle :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 15, 2018, 3:53 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
November 15, 2018, 2:13 am
I had huge success with my quest for wall lights so throwing this out to the great & the good of the forum world again :lol:

Front doors
I don’t want one of those ornate wooden double front doors which seem to be popular. I’m after a double UPVC or composite door with a full height push/pull handle. They seem really popular in the UK with loads of websites showing different designs & patterns. I’ve tried Windsor, Arc, Deku, Europvc, Trade UPVC as well as the usual suspects like Global etc. None seem to show any designs on their websites that I can see & none have replied to my request for a brochure.

Example

Any suggestions?
Cheers
The style of door is not difficult to find, but I've never seen the full length handles just shorter versions of them.
IMG_5658-2.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » November 15, 2018, 3:54 pm

vincemunday wrote:
November 15, 2018, 6:05 am
Just saw you want uPVC, so my comment not pertinent but in the UK a lot of people will use door blanks (fire check doors) which would work fine if you treat them properly. If you decide to try the door blank (very inexpensive) method I can help with advice, I did lots of them when I owned my joinery in the UK.
Cheers Vince, I only thought about UPVC or composite as thats the only material I can seem to find examples of this style I like. Maybe its because thats the cheapest option in the UK? I'm certainly not precious over the material & if this style could be recreated in wood with a decent locking mechanism then I'm all for it.
I've got a 270cm opening so thinking 2 x 100cm doors with 35cm (less frame) frosted glass infills on either side.
Does you know of any places that work with door blanks around Udon? Don't particularly want to trawl to Bangkok

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » November 15, 2018, 3:56 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
November 15, 2018, 3:53 pm
Nigglyb wrote:
November 15, 2018, 2:13 am

Front doors

Any suggestions?
Cheers
The style of door is not difficult to find, but I've never seen the full length handles just shorter versions of them.
True with the handle, I've not found anything like them yet. Maybe an option to bring over on the plane next time.
Where is your picture from, I'm struggling to find anything like this

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 15, 2018, 5:32 pm

They are from Prime-Asia and I reasonably sure that if you want the hande to release the lock then you are going to have no choice but to go with a complete door and handle. I've never seen that type that activates the lock available separately. Or you are going to have to import the hardware yourself.

However if you just want pull handles of that style then Häfele has a selection of that style going from 300mm (903.06.018 ฿1,305.40 ) up to 2,000mm (903.05.795 ฿10,379 per pair)
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on November 15, 2018, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 15, 2018, 5:34 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
November 15, 2018, 3:56 pm

Maybe an option to bring over on the plane next time.
Good luck with an oversized item like that

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » November 15, 2018, 6:57 pm

November 15, 2018, 5:32 pm
They are from Prime-Asia and I reasonably sure that if you want the hande to release the lock then you are going to have no choice but to go with a complete door and handle. I've never seen that type that activates the lock available separately. Or you are going to have to import the hardware yourself.

However if you just want pull handles of that style then Häfele has a selection of that style going from 300mm (903.06.018 ฿1,305.40 ) up to 2,000mm (903.05.795 ฿10,379 per pair)
If I squint at the picture a bit closer the handle looks like its just a standard push/pull so presumably the same inside. The lock looks like its a normal deadlock affair halfway up the left hand door which I'm good with. I guess one door is dead bolted top & bottom with the main opening door using a mortice type lock which would be fine.
The Häfele ones look just the ticket although 32mm diameter for the 2m long ones seem a little thin, I would expect something a bit chunkier.
Nice one though, I couldn't find anything like this at all.Image
Just need a pair of doors I like now. Perhaps wooden ones as Vince suggested is the way to go. Hopefully there is somewhere in or around Udon that can make them
Vince wrote: Custom making them is a breeze, we used to knock them up 20 or 30 at a time for schools.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » November 15, 2018, 7:01 pm

November 15, 2018, 5:34 pm
Nigglyb wrote:

I would have thought a reasonably thin, long bubble wrapped parcel would go through the oversize luggage counter okay. We saw some chaps & chapesses taking surfboards the other year & they'd be about the same length but wider.
Whether it reaches Swampy still straight would be another matter Image

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 15, 2018, 7:13 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
November 15, 2018, 6:57 pm
If I squint at the picture a bit closer the handle looks like its just a standard push/pull so presumably the same inside. The lock looks like its a normal deadlock affair halfway up the left hand door which I'm good with. I guess one door is dead bolted top & bottom with the main opening door using a mortice type lock which would be fine.
The Häfele ones look just the ticket although 32mm diameter for the 2m long ones seem a little thin, I would expect something a bit chunkier.
Nice one though, I couldn't find anything like this at all.Image
Just need a pair of doors I like now. Perhaps wooden ones as Vince suggested is the way to go. Hopefully there is somewhere in or around Udon that can make them
It does help if you know where to look. 8-[

The handles I quoted were only 1 and there are about 8 more stiles to choose from. I don't have my Häfele catalog with me at the moment as it's in the other house so can't give part numbers but you can download the Häfele app and they are in the architectural catalog.

Also why would you want anything thicker than 32mm, just try to get a comfortable grip on a thicker one.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 15, 2018, 7:14 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
November 15, 2018, 7:01 pm
November 15, 2018, 5:34 pm
Nigglyb wrote:

I would have thought a reasonably thin, long bubble wrapped parcel would go through the oversize luggage counter okay. We saw some chaps & chapesses taking surfboards the other year & they'd be about the same length but wider.
Whether it reaches Swampy still straight would be another matter Image
You will use up one of your permitted bags though.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » November 15, 2018, 7:21 pm

November 15, 2018, 7:13 pm
It does help if you know where to look. 8-[

The handles I quoted were only 1 and there are about 8 more stiles to choose from. I don't have my Häfele catalog with me at the moment as it's in the other house so can't give part numbers but you can download the Häfele app and they are in the architectural catalog.

Also why would you want anything thicker than 32mm, just try to get a comfortable grip on a thicker one.
I'm browsing the Häfele catalogue on line now Image
Probably should be doing more important things with regards to the build but hey ho Image

Dunno why I thought it should be thicker than 32mm. I just thought the opening/closing action would be more laying the hand pulling/pushing action without actually gripping the handle & it wouldn't look so spindly on a big door

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 15, 2018, 7:21 pm

I'm also looking to get a custom door, you can't get 1m wide doors from stock so if you find a supplier do let me know
These ones came from Bangkok but they won't make just 1.
IMG_4621-3.jpeg
IMG_4622-3.jpeg

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » November 15, 2018, 7:23 pm

November 15, 2018, 7:14 pm

You will use up one of your permitted bags though.
No worries on that front. I'm not usually allowed to take anything anyway & Mrs N fills the suitcases with chocolate & other jumble I'd tried to throw out from home

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » November 15, 2018, 7:40 pm

Didn't realise 100cm wide doors would also be so difficult to find. However, there seems to be a few on the Global House website. A pair of these might work if finished nicely although only quoted as 3cm thick which seems a tad thin for such a large external door.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » November 15, 2018, 8:04 pm

That's got to be a typo, 3cm doors would break. You can get door blanks in Thai Watsadu, Global House and most likely everywhere else too, I'm at Thai Watsadu tomorrow, I'll tell you what they have in stock.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » November 15, 2018, 8:28 pm

vincemunday wrote:
November 15, 2018, 8:04 pm
That's got to be a typo, 3cm doors would break. You can get door blanks in Thai Watsadu, Global House and most likely everywhere else too, I'm at Thai Watsadu tomorrow, I'll tell you what they have in stock.
It wouldn't be the first time Global's website has a typo. Unfortunately it seems to be the only one with decent product listings that translate into English. Boonthavorn is the other but I'm not made of money.
Thai Watsadu doesn't seem to have anything in the way of English search tools. If you're over that way tomorrow that would be spiffing, thanks

Return to “House & Land”