Swimming pool

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Swimming pool

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2018, 10:14 am

I’m about to start building my swimming pool, I’ve found a group of local builders who’ve built an extension to my bungalow and done a few other bits and I’m quite happy with the work they’re doing so far, if there’s something we disagree on they will normally do things how they should be done and not the Thai “quicker” way. They’ve all worked on pool builds but I’d like to make sure they do things properly.

I’ve decided on a 10m x 3m x 1.2m rectangular pool without a deep end. Back in the U.K. my pool had a skimmer, inlet and no sump, I’ve decided to use the same configuration here, sometimes it meant a bit more work to clean but it works.

I’m thinking I will slab the floor using 10mm rebar, welded into 15cm squares, sat on 100mm tables with a 250mm pour, would this be strong enough?

The walls I’m thinking I’ll use a similar system but a 200mm pour, is this right?

Now I’ve heard of a rubber or plastic strip that makes the joint between the floor and walls watertight, if anyone has any information on what, how and where I’d be might grateful.

I’m a complete novice when it comes to pool building, I’ve owned them but never built them so all help, advice and information will be greatly appreciated.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Re: Swimming pool

Post by Marcosteffano » May 16, 2018, 10:38 am

Myself i would tie the steel.youve got 36 tons of water over a good area so can't see a problem with that.make sure you get a good strength concrete and don't cut corners.when the concrete is poured d make sure to keep it damp as the longer you keep it damp the more it will cure.as soon as it dries out,that's when it stops hardening.maybe a bag of water proof tile adhesive mixed to a slurry and splashed or poured on just before you pour the walls.a vibrating poker would help in this job if you can find one.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 16, 2018, 11:53 am

Vince,Had Mine built by a " Gang " of Local Builders While I Watched everything they did,Not sure on the Pour but it's been O.K (No Cracks or leaks ) in almost 8 Years now so happy with that part,But Yes they put 10mm Rebar All Round ( Floor & Walls ) The Rubber THINGY You mentioning is simply called A Pool Liner ( You MUST Have this )......

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 16, 2018, 11:59 am

we have our 4th self build pool in 17 years without any problems , we have always used 12mm rebar ,20cm maze , welding not needed , double layer though ...and yes you will need to use the water stop rubber you can best buy at dohome, wall and floor thickness 20cm , concrete 240 st (seteng) with waterproofing liquid, no need to render the walls with special products ..., using gray blocks for the outer frame , start build on the sand , did not pour concrete first ...some pics ...
10 (Copy).JPG
11 (Copy).JPG
09 (Copy).JPG
12 (Copy).JPG
to prevent leakages where the pipes come out of the wall...
26 (Copy).JPG
27 (Copy).JPG
later looks like this ...
39 (Copy).jpg
i did not make any useless connections , as fe main drain, (you can always pump the water out ) , and no lights in the water avoiding many bugs come have a swim too :lol:
for filter/media/pump check this shop ? https://www.winwinpoolshop.com/en/ good prices and good service /delivery..udon swim shops way too expensive , also here do not over do this...(too big pump/filter many times)
it is not difficult to build a pool , but many people making it way to complicated, like with the home builds ...
hope this helps and small advice from me , it is all ready late to start build a pool as the rain season is coming ..
i would wait it out till after the rain season , and lower ground level waters (december?)...good luck.. ;)

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 16, 2018, 12:06 pm

What was the cost?

Are you doing it yourself ?
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 16, 2018, 12:31 pm

the pictures are from our 3th pool , build by the home builder , was 25.000 baht for all the concrete work ,10.000 baht tiling work , will let you know later , i will have to check on my logs on external hdd, i have all the prices ...
last pool only build with 1 worker .. ;)

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2018, 3:14 pm

Thanks for that guys, kopkei it looks like your first layer of rebar is sitting straight on the dirt and then you’ve used twisted rebar as tables for the second layer? To be honest I like the idea of doing the walls first too, seems sensible in hindsight, if you have any more hints or tips I’d be very grateful for them.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2018, 3:18 pm

Also kopkei, did you just shutter with plywood before you poured the walls? Would you mind putting me in touch with your Home builder, if he’s done yours okay then I’d be more confident using him if he would help.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 16, 2018, 4:41 pm

the pictures are from our 3th pool .......It's You're 3rd You Mean ????

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 16, 2018, 5:06 pm

the pictures are from our 3th pool .......It's You're 3rd You Mean ???? ....pool number 3?
first thing to do after excavation ,is building the outer wall in grey bricks , next is putting in all steel work ,20cm mazes ,10cm double layer using the bent rebar spacers in between and concrete spacers at the bottom , attaching the water stop so it will be half in the poured concrete floor first and other half in the middle of the wall ,the waterstop need to be glued where they join ,30 cm overlapping with fe pattex rubber glue
after pouring the floor it is easy to make the inner frame for the pouring of the walls concrete...,be sure all is well blocked because a lot pressure there ...framework is cheapest rented (1.800 baht/1 week)... plywood is more expensive
do not dig out to far to keep the space at a minimum behind the concrete blocks, and fill this space gradually up during the wall concrete pouring , if you fill this up before , a little rain will make the walls burst and collapse..
all plastic pipes need to be of 13.5 , size dependable of what pump you are going to use , pool your size will be normally 1,5 inch..
use chang (scg) glue not the thaipipe one ,and use good double union valves (like the ones on the posted website) not global house ones (rubbish)... i do not mind giving some advice here according to my experience and knowledge of building our pools ..sorry can not help you though with the builder before , has vanished ... ;)

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 16, 2018, 5:19 pm

forgot to mention , if you are planning to tile the pool (not liner ) look around to order because mostly no stock , so longer waiting time , and use weber grouting for best result 2.840 baht /bucket/15 bags/dohome
https://www.weberthai.com/en/tile-grout ... or-hr.html ;)

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 16, 2018, 5:36 pm

If you are afraid of the wet season approaching you may choose a fibreglass pool. May be very cheap and time consuming with such a basic square model. They can install in a week or 2 once the pool is cast.
There was a mob in Khon Kaen their ring road ages ago when I lived there. Another company down that way, was Anan pools ??? I think.
I looked at them before but my pool was a different shape and built into the home deck so went concrete.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 16, 2018, 6:05 pm

an easy one , fibre pools ? too expensive as they are quickly installed though but will they last as long as a concrete pool ?,so not for me , luckily we are all different ;)

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 16, 2018, 7:28 pm

kopkei wrote:
May 16, 2018, 6:05 pm
an easy one , fibre pools ? too expensive as they are quickly installed though but will they last as long as a concrete pool ?,so not for me , luckily we are all different ;)
It was just a suggestion to the poster because he may need it now and might have been put off by the wet season tip. Naturally it would not suit you, as you are a 4 time concrete pool builder. :D
But you may have been able to move a fibreglass pool 4 times ? :-"

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2018, 7:43 pm

Whichever way it goes I've decided against composite, I've swam in them when I was in Aus and they aren't my thing. Rainy season seems to be early this year but I can wait.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » May 16, 2018, 9:33 pm

vincemunday wrote:
May 16, 2018, 7:43 pm
Whichever way it goes I've decided against composite, I've swam in them when I was in Aus and they aren't my thing. Rainy season seems to be early this year but I can wait.
Come to think of it mate,I've got a emaux sph 15 pump.its 1.5 hp and about right for your pool but you need a big sand filter for it.probably 30inch.the sph series is the top of the range and moves more water for less money.ive used it for 6 months for my jacuzzi but it's too powerful as I've only got 3 jets and need something smaller.cost 19,500baht I'll take 11,000b and guarantee it for 6 months.emaux are a good pump.i took one off this pool and it was about 15 years old and still going as strong as ever.do your research and get back to me.emaux sph 150,2 inch inlet outlet.remember the bigger the filter the better and don't have to run them as long.

johanthomsen
udonmap.com

Post by johanthomsen » May 17, 2018, 5:29 am

This post is really exciting since I am also looking into investing into a pool when my house build begins, and I would really appreciate if you guys could share an estimate cost on how much you used (yeah I know it can costs as much as one wants, but I do not intend to pay insane farang prizes 😁😁)

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 17, 2018, 11:15 am

Seems most have forgotten to install and bring out an earth bond conductor on the reo.
6 sq mm stranded and clamped and sealed with metal base paint such as zinc-it.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » May 17, 2018, 2:07 pm

johanthomsen wrote:
May 17, 2018, 5:29 am
This post is really exciting since I am also looking into investing into a pool when my house build begins, and I would really appreciate if you guys could share an estimate cost on how much you used (yeah I know it can costs as much as one wants, but I do not intend to pay insane farang prizes 😁😁)
Size matters as the mrs tells me......you need to ask what size your thinking about first.8x4 metre is a nice size and manageable.1-2 metres in depth so you can dive in.thats 48 cubic metres of water.i would recommend a 1hp pump with an over sized sand filter,28 inch using zeolite and not sand.the object is to turn the whole pool water over or under 6 hours a day and this would be plenty.dont know about costs of building,maybe follow what vince is doing and self build is far the cheapest way.pool companies are mental prices and don't have much in the way of after care once they've been paid.also there is an art to looking after a pool in this climate.you tube is the best way to look into building a pool and maintaining it.they can be a nightmare with rain messing up the balance of the water and out here the debris of black soot when they burn the crops off.remember the pump should turn the water over at the least once a day and the bigger the filter the more it will pick up the dirt and not be forced through the filter and back into the pool.i think I may know someone who can give you a price (farang)

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 17, 2018, 4:19 pm

Ring this number for a quote or advice on building a pool.
Name is either Atit or Atik
0930655167 Thai not english

He has ben helping rectify some technical problems on the set up of salt water chlorinator, pumps, plumbing changes and setting up the water quality for the GF, since I am away.
He has a team that can build a pool.
Efficient and always comes on time when he makes an appointment. Knows his tuff.

Return to “House & Land”