John's budget build

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Re: John's budget build

Post by ajarnudon » November 12, 2018, 11:17 pm

Things have been a bit slow lately; I only get back every second weekend now, and my workers have mostly moved on to more regular jobs. Nevertheless, we have laid a lot of blocks and the walls are jumping up quickly. Have done a bit more plumbing, including fixing a previous error by replacing a 90 degree vertical junction in the sewer line with this 45 degree one.
IMG_20181104_103453.jpg
And just had to show you this - he doesn't waste a thing - this is incredible. When the disk on the cutoff saw got too low to cut the steel, what did he do? Recycling at its best!
IMG_20181103_161145.jpg

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 13, 2018, 6:38 am

Plumbing looks better , but that recycled cutting disc is just dangerous .
You want to stop him using that A S A P , if it shatters which it can quit easily do it will at least take an eye out .
You know as well as me Thais dont do safety . Buy him new ones , seriously .

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 13, 2018, 8:16 am

coming along well John..Nice to be sitting on that deck and looking out over the rice fields..

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » November 26, 2018, 9:48 pm

'Plumbing looks better , but that recycled cutting disc is just dangerous .
You want to stop him using that A S A P , if it shatters which it can quit easily do it will at least take an eye out .
You know as well as me Thais dont do safety . Buy him new ones , seriously .'

Yes, I did as soon as I saw it. And I am onto them about wearing glasses/goggles when grinding/buffing metal. But I think the ingenuity here deserves some recognition.

And hi Maaaka, yes I am going to enjoy that in about twelve months time.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » November 26, 2018, 10:26 pm

You mean: "in about twelve months."

What else could months be, but time? distance? temperature? weight?

It reminds me of the laborious daft Brit phrase, "Sixty years of age." WTF else could years be, you logorrhoean toads? Seriously, you Brits test the limits of my medication.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » November 27, 2018, 12:41 am

Giggle wrote:
November 26, 2018, 10:26 pm

It reminds me of the laborious daft Brit phrase, "Sixty years of age." WTF else could years be, you logorrhoean toads? Seriously, you Brits test the limits of my medication.
The irony of you whinging about others saying more than they need to..

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 27, 2018, 9:44 am

Giggle wrote:
November 26, 2018, 10:26 pm

We speak English, you know from England, if you don't like it split your language call it American and you can bastardise it as much as you like. But until you do don't complain about the English language the English use.

If complaining about language it behoves you to at least try to use correct spelling for your supposed insults. What is a "logorrhoean toad" and why is it an insult?
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on November 27, 2018, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 27, 2018, 9:48 am

After that last diversion, To get back on track the build is coming along nicely, though probably the sugar cane and rice harvests are going to slow things down

Last edited by sometimewoodworker on November 27, 2018, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » November 27, 2018, 10:21 am

Rear.jpg
Reinforced corner.jpg
These pictures show the wall structures. The outer skin is 9 cm concrete block, and the air conditioned rooms (BR1, BR 2 and the living room) have an inner skin of 7.5 cm AAC blocks. This gives a wall cavity of around 8 cm which provides additional insulation, as well as hiding plumbing and cabling. There was a difference in wall height at floor level (80 cm above ground) and, because of this, they had started to butt the ends together. At the third course above the deck I stopped them and explained that the ends had to be interlocked (overlapped). To this end, the blocks for the next course along the rear deck had to be cut horizontally. Further, the corner had to be steel reinforced. An 80 cm length of 12 mm bar was positioned vertically in the corner cavity, and the end blocks backfilled with mortar. As the wall height grows, a further 80 cm length of rod is welded to the previous one and the process repeated.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 27, 2018, 2:07 pm

John are you blockfilling the full wall length or only at strategic points for structural reasons. Corners, columns and door lintels?

When i owned my concrete agitator truck in Cairns North Queensland did a lot of block fill as most houses were block.
Our block fill was called Piss and Pebbles, wet enough to be poured or pumped in and fill all required cavities.
7mm blue metal aggregate is enough and 20mpa, but some may put in some 10mm blue metal stone.
Keep up the good work.
Good to see you will be in the house in about 12 months time or there about's. :lol:
There's no real accuracy when living under Thai Time. All you will know with complete accuracy is it will take some time.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » November 27, 2018, 6:19 pm

Hi Barney. The walls up to the 80cm mark (4 courses) are 140 cm blocks. These were all backfilled with concrete and reinforced vertically witth 12 mm bar every third cavity. The webbing was cut out of the tops of the blocks in the 4th course, and horizontal 12 mm bar welded to the vertical bars. Above this height, block width reduced to 9 cm concrete and 7.5 cm AAC. These walls are only reinforced, as you suggest, at the strategic points. The vertical bars are tied into the posts every 80 cm. At lintel height and again in the top course, we will cut the webbing out of the tops of the concrete blocks. On the ground we will put 5 cm of concrete in the bottom of the blocks. The next day these blocks are laid, 12 mm bar laid in the top and the blocks filled with concrete. This effectively gives us two ring beams.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 27, 2018, 6:21 pm

ajarnudon wrote:
November 27, 2018, 6:19 pm
Hi Barney. The walls up to the 80cm mark (4 courses) are 140 cm blocks. These were all backfilled with concrete and reinforced vertically witth 12 mm bar every third cavity. The webbing was cut out of the tops of the blocks in the 4th course, and horizontal 12 mm bar welded to the vertical bars. Above this height, block width reduced to 9 cm concrete and 7.5 cm AAC. These walls are only reinforced, as you suggest, at the strategic points. The vertical bars are tied into the posts every 80 cm. At lintel height and again in the top course, we will cut the webbing out of the tops of the concrete blocks. On the ground we will put 5 cm of concrete in the bottom of the blocks. The next day these blocks are laid, 12 mm bar laid in the top and the blocks filled with concrete. This effectively gives us two ring beams.
Perfect. :drunk:

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » November 27, 2018, 10:30 pm

Giggles 26 Nov. 'You mean: "in about twelve months." What else could months be, but time? distance? temperature? weight? It reminds me of the laborious daft Brit phrase, "Sixty years of age." WTF else could years be, you logorrhoean toads? Seriously, you Brits test the limits of my medication.'

As the owner of this blog , I will take some ownership and control, the last word on this topic. Firstly, who are you calling a Brit? Are all of the world's 1 bn English speakers who live outside the US, Canada and the Philippines Brits? I, for one, am not. But I'm not a Brit basher either - others can make up their mind about this member after reviewing some posts. But it's not just reserved for the Brits. Have a look here:
search.php?author_id=47995&sr=posts
A small selection:
26 Nov. 'Probably some drug dealing, slap-headed oik Britons.'
26 Nov. 'The Brits secretly long for a strong, courageous leader like Teddy Roosevelt, or any number of US presidents. Instead they get dishwater, milquetoast blowhards like Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron. What a smarmy, do-nothing line-up that is.'
25 Nov. 'You're ignorant, dun. ...The levels of stupidity on this forum are startling.'
25 Nov. 'Your logic has more holes in it than a hunk of Swiss cheese.'
23 Nov. 'The ugly Briton(s) at it again.'
23 Nov. 'Tesco Lotus really is a heaving pile of sewage peddling diseased offal and promoting an unhealthy lifestyle.'

And this is only a sample from the last couple of days. It seems that the poster is a 'sniper' - one who doesn't initiate discussions, but continuously seeks to belittle others.
Both STWW and myself are long-term professional TESOL teachers. Personally, I instruct my students in the differences between British and US English so that they will have some knowledge of both. I even give them some examples of rhyming slang - dog and bone = phone. Even to the extent of some southern US grammar - 'Are you done doing that now?' However, don't we all use (and like to use) IDIOMS that we grew up with? I for one do, and I bet a search through Giggles' posts would find plenty.
Neither Merriam-Webster (US) nor Oxford (UK) dictionaries have an entry for 'logorrhoean'. The different US and UK spelling versions both use the 'ic' suffix, as in 'logorrhoeic' - neither use the 'an' suffix. One of the subjects I teach is English for Communication. If someone is really trying to comminicate (as distinct from point-scoring) they would use language readily understood by the target audience. Surely either 'verbose' or 'loquacious' would have been better choices (for an audience of non-psychologists). Let's put this language discussion behind us forever now.
Just one final point - I know that STWW is a moderator on this platform. I would like to point out the legal ramifications of Udonmap publishing things like the OP's Tesco Lotus rant of 23 November. And for that matter, there may be any number of Brits who might want to take a class action against the site publisher for hosting some of 'Giggles' posts. I would be hugely surprised if 'Giggles' still has membership next week. However, with this type of framework (shared by most others), there is nothing to stop a barred member from rejoinng with a new set of credentials - including rejoining from a different IP address.
This is a great site - let's make it hard for riffraff to take over.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » November 27, 2018, 11:22 pm

ajarnudon wrote:
November 27, 2018, 6:19 pm
Hi Barney. The walls up to the 80cm mark (4 courses) are 140 cm blocks.
Sorry, block width 14 cm - getting my cms and mms mixed up

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » November 28, 2018, 7:35 pm

Ajarn, there isn't a like button on this site but I must say well done on putting the troll known as giggles well and truly in his place. His life in Udon mustn't be all he hoped for when he spends so much time craving attention so embarrassingly on here.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » November 28, 2018, 9:39 pm

'I know that STWW is a moderator on this platform.' Sorry, I might have got this wrong. STWW is a moderator on the coolthaihouse forum, maybe not here.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » November 28, 2018, 11:06 pm

Lighten up, Francis. :roll:

"In three weeks time" contains 25% too many words.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » November 29, 2018, 1:34 am

Giggle wrote:
November 28, 2018, 11:06 pm
Actually the overall construction is acceptable, if redundant; but your example is grammatically incorrect. It should be: "In three weeks' time."

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » November 29, 2018, 4:02 am

Giggle wrote:
Lighten up, Francis. :roll:

More efficient than all your posts by 75%😉

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » January 9, 2019, 11:13 pm

Udon Map wrote:
November 29, 2018, 1:34 am
Giggle wrote:
Actually the overall construction is acceptable, if redundant; but your example is grammatically incorrect. It should be: "In three weeks' time."
I go along with the possessive, but not the redundancy. 'In three weeks' can (and mostly does) refer to a period of time; 'In three weeks' time' can ONLY refer to a point in time. If you wish to avoid any confusion, I suggest this approach. Thai language handles it differentially as well: song moong = 2 o'clock, song cha moong = a two hour period.

Return to “House & Land”