Builders

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
gprit
udonmap.com

Builders

Post by gprit » November 25, 2016, 9:22 pm

Planning to build a small hosue for my wife's parents.
Anyone know anything about Concept Engineering - they are in Khon Kaen and Udon Thani. ??

George4

Re: Builders

Post by George4 » November 26, 2016, 1:36 pm

Creating drawing from your ideas you can use for building is easy enough.

I assume you have checked if you need planning permission or not and found out you don't?

Otherwise if you do need planning permission then making up a set of drawings you can take to the Tessaban to explain your needs is even easier. They will tell you how deep footings need to be but that the locals can normally tell you anyway.

I built a house just on the outskirts of Udon and didn't need any planning permission but as a precaution I did take my plans to an engineer I know who gave me the thumbs up. I was on the job 6 days a week and that is a must with me as after 16 years of working with them I still don't trust most Thai workers not to mess up.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » November 26, 2016, 7:10 pm

Thanks - have already got detailed plan of the house.
The land is occupied by my wife's parents for 30 years now (they have an old house there currently) BUT they do not have any paperwork......although the address of the property is recorded in their Blue book. We have contacted the Land Office in Loei to regularise matters but they say that the current Government does not allow any 'paperwork' to correct things....but that is will be ok to build. (yeah....). Trying to get something in writing from them (not overly hopeful). We plan to use Concept Engineering to build - and we will be there in Thailand to make sure we are happy with the quality!

George4

Post by George4 » November 27, 2016, 2:41 pm

I asked my friend who's in the game and he knows of a Concept Engineering from Nam Phong. Couldn't say good or bad only that they are mainly a fair sized suppliers of building materials, but don't carry a lot of staff nor do they have a big fancy office which is a good thing to keep costs down. He reckons they probably sub contract any building work out. He does the same thing as they can't keep staff busy enough to employ them full time.

At the end of the day it depends on what you pay and what you get. If you are talking european style eg Aerated block construction with cavity walls, hidden columns electricals and plumbing, a proper tiles roof eg Cpac you should not exceed 15k per sqm but if it's a basic thai build with 150 x150 columns (Totally unsuitable for the former) with a light metal roof I would be paying no more than 8 to 10k per sq mt.

As you know the blue book is not proof of ownership but if they have had one for more than 10 years they will eventually get title. It's a moot point but the reason they won't allow you to change at this time could be they were not elected and it could be voided by a proper Gov. Once a new gov is elected I expect things should go back to normal.

Looks like you are all set to go

Happy building

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » November 28, 2016, 10:54 pm

The tambien bahn means nothing as far as land papers are concerned - absolutely nothing.

Neither does having an old house on the land.

In my zone of Loei the registered land (with chanutes) ends half a km after our land. Beyond that are three decent sized villages, two with schools. None have any title deeds and all could technically be demolished anytime. The only protection is safety in numbers.

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » November 28, 2016, 10:58 pm

And try Nuja Land and House in Udon, whom I have mentioned elsewhere. Excellent, and considerably less than the '15k' per metre mentioned above for that spec.

George4

Post by George4 » November 29, 2016, 8:31 pm

Good man John...You come on repeat what I said but use Thai for house book which our friend may or may not understand then you recommend Nuja Land who I could tell you more than a few stories about like you have known them for years

With all respect John a year ago you had no idea who they were and I remember you asking on the Teak Door forum if they were any good ...now you are telling Gprit they are great. C'Mon man the guy is building a home don't go recommending people you know very little about

I would love to build his house but my advise is stick with your own guys to do the building. Building a relationship with them is mega important. It's amazing what 10 bottles of MI50 can do for your rep in the middle of the afternoon and a few beers after work. I have done this over the years and it 100% pays dividend...Stuff this company and that company they are only as good as the people they employ and some will employ rubbish. I would rather have a team living on the site in temp quarters than standing about in the morning wondering how many people and what time are they going to turn up

You need one really good guy ..pay him a percentage or 1500 or 2000 baht a day and build a relationship with him and he will work his butt off for you and so will his team. You yourself should be there 6 days a week and lay some blocks if you get bored LOL

I don't care if you employ Donald Trump to build a house if you don't have a good relationship with your foreman and his staff you will end up with .....censored no matter the price you pay:0)

As I said Gprit Happy Building my friend

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » August 28, 2017, 3:11 pm

Hello - bit of a lulll since my last post....anyway, land has all settled after dumping lots of earth and we are here in Udon.
Just waiting for some things to be finalised in the UK then can start in earnest with finding the right builder etc. Am still not able to actually DO anything with Land Ownership.

Are here now for one year (renting) but it means we can go to site at least once a week to check progress / etc.
What is an average (if there is such a thing) for installing a bore hole, going down around 85/90 metres to get to good water with a six inch pipe. Any advice what size/cost pump would be needed?

thanks

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 28, 2017, 3:29 pm

I took a recommendation off of here to go to Udon Hardware to buy a pump. Steve, the American Thai who owns it is an absolute gem, he gave us so much information and we got the Hitachi pump at a very reasonable price. The shop is based on the Phosri Road about 200m on the left after the the fountain roundabout heading towards UD town, I highly recommend these people and I will use them again.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 28, 2017, 4:37 pm

all those recommendations here on udonmap (about anything)of so good deals but without any clear info what they bought (type pump?) and more important here ..the price what seems to be a big taboo here ...i do not follow these empty postings ?...
what is a reasonable price to you maybe isn't for others?..only way to know is posting full info , not half ...sorry.. :(

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 28, 2017, 5:50 pm

So what bearing would my pump have on his requirements? I needed a double headed Hitachi pump because my well was quite deep and I paid 17,000 baht but what help is that to him? I recommend you go see Steve, he is very knowledgable, he's helped lots of us on here and I'm 110% sure you'll come away with the right pump.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 28, 2017, 6:11 pm

well , if you want to give good info to people you need to mention in this case type hitachi pump you bought and price or your info isn't worth anything , i am not buying things because the seller is adorable and maybe his prices not.
this is not specific to this shop but to anything as info posted here on udonmap, if they have good service and good prices , the better ,only way to know this is to post it and than it is up to each reader to decide they like it or not
if you (all) know what i mean? ...thanks.. ;)

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 28, 2017, 6:37 pm

vincemunday wrote:
August 28, 2017, 5:50 pm
So what bearing would my pump have on his requirements? I needed a double headed Hitachi pump because my well was quite deep and I paid 17,000 baht but what help is that to him? I recommend you go see Steve, he is very knowledgable, he's helped lots of us on here and I'm 110% sure you'll come away with the right pump.
What model no?

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » August 28, 2017, 7:04 pm

Kopkei you would have to the most negative poster's on Map why I have no idea, have you used this retailer and got a gripe against him?

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 29, 2017, 7:26 am

i am not negative at all , and it has as before all ready mentioned, nothing to do with this shop but about all postings about anything , i joined a forum to get information , and also give information as accurate as possible and preferably including the price , or people are still in the dark ...it happens in this case ,that i know a lot about pump prices, and can advice if the price is ok or way over ...i always do a quick internet search about the item i want to buy so before i come out to shop i have a clue of the real price , and sweet talking (falang shop or not, english talking or not) me into a a buy with an outrageous price isn't with me .... , macca46 and others ? again... if people are posting about a good buy or deal , they should give complete information about this supposed deal so the readers can make up them self it is truly a bargain or not ...wouldn't you want to be warned if some one is selling at outrageous price ? (again not specific here)
i am not bashing down any one only want to give correct info as possible ...
this only to give my point of view...many times misunderstood ....good luck to all... ;)

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 29, 2017, 8:18 am

kopkei wrote:
August 29, 2017, 7:26 am
i am not negative at all , and it has as before all ready mentioned, nothing to do with this shop but about all postings about anything , i joined a forum to get information , and also give information as accurate as possible and preferably including the price , or people are still in the dark ...it happens in this case ,that i know a lot about pump prices, and can advice if the price is ok or way over ...i always do a quick internet search about the item i want to buy so before i come out to shop i have a clue of the real price , and sweet talking (falang shop or not, english talking or not) me into a a buy with an outrageous price isn't with me .... , macca46 and others ? again... if people are posting about a good buy or deal , they should give complete information about this supposed deal so the readers can make up them self it is truly a bargain or not ...wouldn't you want to be warned if some one is selling at outrageous price ? (again not specific here)
i am not bashing down any one only want to give correct info as possible ...
this only to give my point of view...many times misunderstood ....good luck to all... ;)
Agree 100% nothing like being given half a story and left clueless by the end of it.being a very nice man is all well and good but that facts help.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 29, 2017, 9:51 am

It's impossible to give a 100% story when buying something like a pump, the variables are huge and my requirements will most likely be different to someone else's. However, when I was looking to buy some pumps, the people on here put me in touch with someone they had used and trusted, that information was worth its weight in gold. The next thing I did was went and talked to the guy that was being recommended, listened to what he had to say (he knows more about pumps than you or I), got the prices from him and took those to compare with people like Thai Watsadu, I ended up going back to him because a, the information he gave me made a lot more sense than I was given elsewhere and b, his prices were very competitive. Personally, I would take the advice off the people on here that have used a service and been satisfied with it over any online research.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 29, 2017, 10:51 am

well i have experienced and read here that some people are easily seduced by sweet talk and the urge of needing help in english and like this ending up paying way to much as it normally should be ...
but here again ,as long as you are happy and stay happy ...
btw as info for those whom need a deep well pump , we bought this one last year ..
http://www.hitachi-th.com/eng/products/ ... gx-pj.html
7.500 baht , found it on internet 300 baht cheaper but chose to buy it at an udon shop(biglot) , big difference in prices though at different udon shops for the same pump... enjoy your shopping...... ;)

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » August 29, 2017, 11:59 am

Going back to Builders..(!), I am coming down to possibly choosing Concept Engineering, but has anyone anything to say about them or another contender Nuja House & Land ?

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » September 2, 2017, 4:36 pm

okay.... we have decided to go with a different company...one who was recommended by word of mouth and who completed (having taken over from another company) the UD Boutique hotel. They are currently adding a Gymnasium to St. Mary's school. As things progress I will keep people informed.

Question: the land we are building on is quite a bit higher than neighbours. To put a wall at sufficient depth would be horrendously expensive. I live in France and there I would put very large rocks to prevent the higher earth from slipping. ANy suggestions for Thailand?

Return to “House & Land”