Termite treatment routine

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
tudorandpim
udonmap.com

Post by tudorandpim » April 5, 2016, 10:49 am

Advice please from anyone in a similar property. We have a home built 3 years ago, 'in the western style', as they say, all concrete and steel. It has a plastic ring surrounding the house beneath the surface which gets pumped up under pressure with product to seep out and form a barrier. We've been servicing this and spraying the garden annually. It takes two men over an hour and they put down an amazing volume of stuff. How all the plants, lawn, hedges and trees survive this chemical onslaught is a miracle. I don't know how effective all this treatment is but it looks good and I suppose only time will tell.
My question is, how often to treat? Annually, six monthly or what? The service was impressive and the charge of 3,000 baht for the amount of stuff they use seems more than reasonable. That is if it works.
I don't know the name but company's number is 0813 201412.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 5, 2016, 12:43 pm

How all the plants, lawn, hedges and trees survive this chemical onslaught is a miracle.
It's not the plants i would worry about, it's the animal life (including humans). As these treatments use persistent, toxic chemicals (do you know which ones?) you need to seriously consider the exposure that you and any pets may be getting. Thailand may not be the worst country in SE Asia for pesticide use, but standards are not as high as the EU or USA; pesticide related deaths and illnesses are higher (Thai children typically carry twice the levels of pesticide related chemicals compared with the USA). I certainly wouldn't want to grow fruit and vegetables near a house with regular termite treatments, or use a well near the house.

Obviously the amount of treatment should be dependent on the risk of infestation - if your house is concrete, steel, tile floors and metal/plastic windows, you shouldn't really need any treatment, certainly not more than once a year. Disused rooms are also more prone to termite infestations.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » April 5, 2016, 12:56 pm

Healthier, easier and cheaper to simply build a house without any wood. Don't feed them, and they won't come, same as ants.

Simply solutions to simple problems.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » April 5, 2016, 3:02 pm

Rick has raised a good point about the health problems related to pesticides, My X wife has recently been treated for Myeloma which is a form of Cancer related to the bone marrow and blood. During her treatment she has attended several seminars and group meetings of patients suffering with the same disease, the majority of her fellow sufferers were of a similar age and had careers that involved the use of chemicals, ie Farmers, Hair Dressers, Paint Sprayers etc
Obviously not everyone who works in these professions will get the disease but it is interesting to note, I often think that Thailand in many aspects is 40 - 50 years behind the west who knows what chemicals they use, DDT?
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 5, 2016, 5:29 pm

We put in a sprinkler system underneath the house. Faroh, on the Udon ring road, come to check every 3 months and actually pump into the sprinkler system twice a year. Even then , we've had a door frame and skirting board attacked, but hopefully sorted now. [-o< . There was a large termite mound in land next door, which was full of eucalyptus trees, but now cut down. A two year contract last time cost us 13,000 baht.
I believe it's chlorpyrifos chemical they use. Certainly smelly for a while - we close the doors and try to ensure the dogs keep out of the way when they have also generally sprayed around the garden. A look on the internet suggests care should be exercised. The guys who come, typically, don't wear any face masks, gloves etc.- but TIT. I understand hard woods may be more resilient to termites?
With a system already in place, I guess it makes sense to continue with the contract, but I make be after a discount! I've seen in a small way how destructive termites can be in this house, whilst my sister-in-law's typical Thai house has had beams looking like sawdust. 8-[

Jamie66

Re: Termite treatment routine

Post by Jamie66 » November 3, 2016, 1:40 pm

tudorandpim wrote:Advice please from anyone in a similar property. We have a home built 3 years ago, 'in the western style', as they say, all concrete and steel. It has a plastic ring surrounding the house beneath the surface which gets pumped up under pressure with product to seep out and form a barrier. We've been servicing this and spraying the garden annually. It takes two men over an hour and they put down an amazing volume of stuff. How all the plants, lawn, hedges and trees survive this chemical onslaught is a miracle. I don't know how effective all this treatment is but it looks good and I suppose only time will tell.
My question is, how often to treat? Annually, six monthly or what? The service was impressive and the termite treatment cost & charge of 3,000 baht for the amount of stuff they use seems more than reasonable. That is if it works.
I don't know the name but company's number is 0813 201412.

Always remember, the termites treatment methods only works if they used in regular period of time otherwise the whole effort is just waste of money and time.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » November 4, 2016, 12:27 pm

12345 wrote:Healthier, easier and cheaper to simply build a house without any wood. Don't feed them, and they won't come, same as ants.

Simply solutions to simple problems.
Just had to have the ceiling replaced in an upstairs room because termites ate the ceiling boards. They are eating my bamboo furniture outside the house and have partially eaten a pressboard bookcase inside my home--the kind of furniture you buy at an IKEA (I bought mine at INDEX). Of course, they will also eat books and lots of other stuff.
The best gadget is the human brain.

cemuzu712

Post by cemuzu712 » February 5, 2019, 11:27 am

Thanks for this info, the infestation is the major cause of termites so you need to attentive for that, amount of termite depends on infestation. Me too have a concrete property but I never seemed termite infestation ever, but ants saw me many times. I used pest control Sydney consequences it would possible to get rid of ants. All the best.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » February 6, 2019, 12:37 pm

At my previous home on the Gold Coast (Oz) I had a system installed which comprised a perforated plastic hose embedded in a 30 x 30 cm trench of sand, covered over and with a pump connection/valve. The operator pumped a couple of hundred litres of diluted product through the hose. The product was Bayer Premise, and Bayer guarantee it for 5 years. It has very low toxicity to warm blooded animals and is slightly toxic to fish. It is a neurotoxin which mimics the effect of nicotine, which is toxic to insects. That was twenty years ago and never had a problem. Bayer sell it in different countries under different names. Don't know if it is available in Thailand, but would be surprised if not - maybe under a different label.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 14, 2019, 10:03 am

we have always installed the anti-termite sprinkler system in our homes , but as we have never seen any termites we have never used them , most products they use have some small writing ,there is also a substance inside attracting the termites to kill them , so if you do no have termites i also do not want to attract them...
most companies also use a cheap brand , the best anti termite brand you can use comes from the Bayer brand , and it does not comes cheap ...in our first home we did have (still have) a big termite mountain behind the wall with the neighbor , never mind ,we don't bother them and they also stay where they are , so my termite advice would be ...
if you do not have termite problem ,also not go looking for them or try to attract them....as info... ;)
(fe,https://www.environmentalscience.bayer. ... cts/agenda)

Return to “House & Land”