Building a swimmingpool

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
boes
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by boes » August 29, 2012, 12:57 pm

Hi
Soon relocating to our newbuild house near Phen.
Can't find any up to date recommendation on a pool constructor - anybody in here got ideas or recommendations, preferably with a website link. Thanks / Boes

katerine2010
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by katerine2010 » August 29, 2012, 1:24 pm

fatbob
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by fatbob » August 29, 2012, 3:17 pm

I just flicked on Peterpool's website, clearly I would not use a system like that with the filter mounted at the end of the pool, they are a copy of the Desjoyaux systems and do not work.
If you are building a pool you want a proper machine room and the pool system should comprise 1-Sand filter, 2- Hurlcon or Hayward pump or pumps, 3- Salt water chlorination, 4- PH controller, 5- Correct electric control panels with timers for automation for pumps and lights.
Work out the size of pool you want and get it designed correctly, the cheapest system is a 'skimmer box' and ok, the best is using a surge tank. Nothing worse than a pool you cannot clean or one that takes hours and hours each day to maintain. Take your time and be very careful. Get your information from an Aussie or a Yank, ie hot climates, not a Pom.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by kopkei » August 29, 2012, 7:03 pm

if you know how to do , you can easy build your pool with local workers what will make you save a lot money ,pool builders prices are x 2 or 3.... you can look here http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/view ... =19&t=3141
a nice example how it is done and concerning the filter ,
no better filter system as with a DE filter , surely no sand filter ;)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by fatbob » August 29, 2012, 8:05 pm

As stated there is a lot of homework to do and factors to take into account when selecting equipment, do you want minimum maintenance or do you want to be constantly checking and cleaning your system?
A DE filter will give you the cleanest water, down to 3 to 5 microns, sand about 12 microns, zeolite about 7 microns, glass about 5 microns. A traditional sand media filter can take either sand, zeolite or glass.
The life span of a DE filter is about 18 months to two years, sand 5 years, zeolite 7 years and glass about 15 years. The maintenance of a DE filter is painful and time consuming, environmentally unfriendly as the powder used for filtration is nasty, if you want to kill local streams then go for DE, the cost of the filter replacement is huge, we use a DE filter on a mobile vacuum set up, would I use a DE on a private pool, no way, sand filter media filled with glass is the only way to go, DE filters tend to be used on public pools. As stated do your homework with a pool as there are heaps of experts, if you are not confident with construction dont attempt it on your own, you are building a waterproof bucket from concrete! I noticed on Kopkei's website there was no water stop between slab and wall, a leaky pool is very expensive, pools must have the correct PH and balance, if a pool leaks you will spend a fortune, I have built heaps of pools, would I have one, NO!

fdimike
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by fdimike » August 29, 2012, 8:38 pm

I would have to disagree with Coxo regarding DE filters. I have a large salt water swimming pool here in Udon with 2 Hayward DE filters, 2 Hurlcon pumps and 2 Poolrite Surechlor 4000 chlorinators. Maintaining a DE filter is a piece of cake as I only have to backwash the filter about once a year. Handling the DE powder is also quite easy as you simply add it into the filter via one of the skimmer boxes after backwashing. We have been using these 2 Hayward DE filters for nearly 7 years now and never replaced any of the components. I have only diassembled the filters once to manually clean the filter grates. However, even that task is quite easy once you get the hang of it. Handling DE powder is also quite easy as well using a recommended dust mask to avoid inhaling the dust. Maintaining the Ph is really the only maintenance other than using the pool vac to pick up heavy debris which settles to the bottom. One important to remember if using a salt water system and that is to make sure you add cyanauric acid to the pool to prevent chlorine loss due to the sun.
The pool is not covered and top up water is supplied via the city water system during the dry season.
I will agree with Coxo on the matter of construction. Constructing a pool is not something left to an amateau. The correct type and thickness of rebar coupled with high strength concrete with added waterproofing compound is a must as is a water stop (rubber joint) between the floor & wall. Additionally the correct kind of tile is required if the pool is to be tiled. Not all tile grout is created equal. To the best of my knowledge Weber & Super Champ are two companies supplying tile grout specifically made to use in a pool.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

fatbob
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by fatbob » August 29, 2012, 8:51 pm

How many different pool system types have you worked with Mike?

fdimike
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by fdimike » August 29, 2012, 9:16 pm

Coxo I have 1 very large pool (capacity approx 175,000 liters) at my home here in Udon Thani. I'm simply explaining my own experiences with that 1 pool. I have no reason to exagerrate either as you're more then welcome to look at the pool and speak with my wife if you don't believe what I'm saying. I find that maintaining the Hayward 6020 DE filters to be a piece of cake. Turn off the pump, change the position of the multiport valve to backwash and turn on the pump until the water runs clear, turn off the pump, return the multi port valve handle to filter, turn on the pump and add the required amount of DE powder via one of the skimmer boxes. I don't know how much easier it can get.
The Poolrite chlorinators are totally automated and turn on the filters at whatever times I desire. I test the water weekly with a dry strip test kit which measures Ph, Hardness, Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, Cyanauric Acid Level & Total Alkalinity. I test the salt content of the water with a simple aquarium hydrometer adding swimming pool salt as required. The one down side to DE filters is they are generally more expensive to purchase than a sand filter.
Maintaining a pool is not "rocket science". All you need is the right equipment and the ability to read & research questions/concerns via the net. I have personally maintained this pool for 7 years now and have regrouted the tiles (along with 2 friends) with Superchamp tile grout for pools once.
In Florida we had a hot tub/spa which was also quite easy to maintain using an ozonator.
I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by fatbob » August 30, 2012, 6:40 am

And where doe's that powder end up?

fdimike
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by fdimike » August 30, 2012, 7:17 am

??? At what stage are you talking about? Backwash into the local drains. Refilling into the filter. Diatameous Earth powder (DE) is not enviormentally harmful especially when compared to what is tossed into these drains here in Thailand.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by fatbob » August 30, 2012, 7:45 am

Mate DE is harmful to the environment, when you backwash the DE go's straight into the waterways and thats where it ends up, it kills all forms of aquatic life, that is a fact. I have installed probably 1000 pool systems of all types, my good mate runs a pool service company, what I am talking about is based on every conceivable system there is and what is the best, cheapest and easiest to operate based on experience of all systems, not one system.
If you only backwash once a year and have only disassembled the filter and cleaned once in seven years then the system will not be working correctly and particles will be travelling straight through the filter and back to the pool.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by merchant seaman » August 30, 2012, 7:55 am

So where does one go in Udon if he wishes to put a pool in at his home?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by papaguido » August 30, 2012, 8:09 am

merchant seaman wrote:So where does one go in Udon if he wishes to put a pool in at his home?
Apparently you go to coxo :D

fdimike
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by fdimike » August 30, 2012, 8:21 am

Coxo

There's no point in furthering this discussion as you are apparently the "Expert".

However, you might try reading the following from the Australian Poison Information Center regarding the supposed health hazards you site:

http://www.pierce.com.au/upload/MSDS%20 ... Powder.pdf

Apparently there are others who have a different opinion regarding this substance.

lee
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by lee » August 30, 2012, 8:55 am

kopkei
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by kopkei » August 30, 2012, 9:37 am

i agree with mike , and i have seen his swim ,same crystal clear water as our pool , and even my DE filter is now 9 years old and still does not need replacement ...even my DE filter is without a backwash , and i must remove and clean the filter what takes me 30 min max ...if you do not have the time to do this ( every 2-3 months depending the season)...
do not build a pool..
my friend in gorath did not listen my advice about buying the DE filter and put up a sand filter, misery all over , green water ,white water ....always something wrong , even after they put zeolite in the filter...., now finally he is going to replace it with a sand filter and his problems will be over....and you can google any site about the difference or what is best for the pool , they all come up with same....DE filter.... ;)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by fatbob » August 30, 2012, 11:41 am

Under construction swimming pool below, pond 1 overflows to pool then pond 2
Maliwana August 30,2012 001.JPG
Pond 2
Maliwana August 30,2012 011.JPG
Machine room with sand filters filled with glass sand
Maliwana August 30,2012 030.JPG
Filters and salt water chlorinators
Maliwana August 30,2012 031.JPG
Maliwana August 30,2012 033.JPG
How not to build a pool, phase 2, leaks like a sieve, now major repair underway, old equipment is for sale, 2 DE filters in good cond and 2 x 2HP hayward pumps
Maliwana August 30,2012 044.JPG
Only spent my life time building so I will leave it to the experts on UM, by the way the DE powder you put in your pool ends up in the waterways, it doesn't just disappear and it kills marine life, bye now I have concrete to pour.

boes
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by boes » September 2, 2012, 7:52 pm

Building a swimmingpool

Unread postby merchant seaman » August 30, 2012, 6:55 am

Anyone ??

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by kjellsnell » September 3, 2012, 8:26 am

boes wrote:Building a swimmingpool

Anyone ??
The only one i can recommend i Phokit on ringroad nearby homemart opposit Global - the other company are scammers!!!
These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!

lee
udonmap.com

Building a swimmingpool

Post by lee » September 3, 2012, 8:42 am

boes wrote:Building a swimmingpool

Anyone ??
Hi Boes, I sent you a suggestion via pm and post on this thread, see page #1

Return to “House & Land”