Cost of building a shophouse?

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
lee
udonmap.com

Cost of building a shophouse?

Post by lee » August 21, 2009, 6:25 pm

OK this is a question to you builders out there. Approximately how much would it cost to build an average 3 story shophouse like you see everywhere in Thailand? A friend of mine has some land and is thinking of building one and needs a guide price.

There are some new shophouses being built near the complex, prices start at 4.5 million for 182sqm up to 6.3 million for 273sqm, quite steep IMO :shock: Obviously land prices are higher in this area so I guess most of this price is for the land. It would be interesting to know how much the actual cost of the building would be, how much profit they're making on construction and how much they're charging per talangwa for the land.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Re: Cost of building a shophouse?

Post by BKKSTAN » August 21, 2009, 6:38 pm

My guess would be 1.8 -2.5 M!

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 21, 2009, 6:45 pm

Really, as much as that? I thought shop houses would be cheaper because of their basic design. For example you can buy a brand new 3 bedroom house and land for around 1.5 million, a shop house without factoring in the land I would have thought would be alot less, but I'm no builder so have no idea. :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 21, 2009, 6:59 pm

I would think the fact that you are going up 3 floors world add cost in that a 3 bed bungalow just would not have Lee..

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 21, 2009, 7:06 pm

A three story shop house should not cost more than 700k to build.That is for a single unit. I have just completed 4 adjoining units of this description for less than 2 mill. Not including land or infill. Wired and water laid on with basic Thai style utilities.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 22, 2009, 4:38 am

Thank you for this useful information.

Fy 1810

Post by Fy 1810 » August 22, 2009, 6:59 am

BobHelm wrote:I would think the fact that you are going up 3 floors world add cost in that a 3 bed bungalow just would not have Lee..
this is a common mis conception , around 25% of a buildings cost is the footprint , what goes under the ground . another 25% is the roof , the rest is the remaining 50% . the higher , the cheaper to build per square meter . these are rough figures , but are a good guide . so , not only does it take more land , but it also costs more to build a single story building .

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » August 22, 2009, 8:19 am

Prolly won't help much, but the OP will know the answer.

http://teakdoor.com/building-in-thailan ... =shophouse

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 22, 2009, 2:27 pm

Thanks for the thread MTD.
So based on the above a single shop house is likely to cost between 700k-1mil or up to 1.5 mil for something a little more special, and then extra for utilities, land, land fill etc.

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » August 22, 2009, 10:27 pm

Fy 1810 wrote:this is a common mis conception , around 25% of a buildings cost is the footprint , what goes under the ground . another 25% is the roof , the rest is the remaining 50% . the higher , the cheaper to build per square meter . these are rough figures , but are a good guide . so , not only does it take more land , but it also costs more to build a single story building .
Hmm, sounds like you're in the building trade. Are you in Farangland? Are builders in Angleterre building town houses at three storeys because it's cheaper, or because there's not enough land or a combination of both?

I assume you're Blitish, of course you could be a Colonial....
Doug! Doug! Doug!

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » August 22, 2009, 10:51 pm

Roughly what would the annual all inclusive property tax be on a 1 mill baht newly built shop house in central Udon? :-k

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » August 22, 2009, 11:45 pm

isnt there enough of these ugly eyesores without building more ? no other asian nation has such a paltry and depressing local architecture .its the shutter grills that offend the eye the most ,kinda reminds one of alactraz prison .most local towns have a endless line of these hideous buildings .

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 23, 2009, 12:18 am

izzix wrote:isnt there enough of these ugly eyesores without building more ? no other asian nation has such a paltry and depressing local architecture .its the shutter grills that offend the eye the most ,kinda reminds one of alactraz prison .most local towns have a endless line of these hideous buildings .

Yes, there are too many blackend empty unloved shophouses dotted around town, often built by dreamers who think they can rent them out and make a profit. Sometimes you see a row of them on the edge of the highway, empty and derilict. I've seen some nice shophouses in Malaysia (Penang) and Singapore. They make nice townhouses in the right location.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » August 23, 2009, 12:22 am

I couldn't agree more, Izzie, they're ugly carbuncles with no character while rows and rows of them inhabit towns all over the Far and Middle East. But of course, they're cheap and functional, which is why they're so popular.

Yes, 700K sounds more realistic than 1.5+ Million Blats, how about a breakdown of costs, Val? Any issues during the building process?
Doug! Doug! Doug!

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » August 23, 2009, 1:30 am

Fy 1810 wrote:this is a common mis conception , around 25% of a buildings cost is the footprint , what goes under the ground . another 25% is the roof , the rest is the remaining 50% . the higher , the cheaper to build per square meter . these are rough figures , but are a good guide . so , not only does it take more land , but it also costs more to build a single story building .
Thanks for that Doug... I love it that we have experts here on just about everything. =D> =D> =D>

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » August 23, 2009, 2:40 am

Doug you silly old sausage, what's up, didn't think we'd believe your expert advice on shop houses?

Doug! Doug! Doug!

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » August 23, 2009, 8:32 am

Prenders88 wrote:I've seen some nice shophouses in Malaysia (Penang) and Singapore. They make nice townhouses in the right location.
Something like these would be nice, but Thais have no style or class sadly.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 23, 2009, 9:42 am

Didn't I read on the forum a while back that there were plans to build 8 units on the land opposite TD. They were offered at prices starting from 8 mill each. Can't see any movement on site.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » August 23, 2009, 9:47 am

In the complex this week there has been some sort of house exhibition, there were several banks there selling properties - I noticed shop houses for sale in Udon ranging from B322,000. I bought a shop near the big C and Makros for B20,000 - yes twenty thousand baht - about 5 years ago. The land cost me another B850,000 though............ \:D/

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 23, 2009, 10:44 am

I see Kasikorn bank have the Nong Khai Grand hotel up for sale at 155 million THB. Any takers?

Return to “House & Land”