Superblock or Q-Con for building and Price?

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Skip

Re: Superblock or Q-Con for building and Price?

Post by Skip » January 31, 2017, 8:58 pm

A high of 120F is rather different from an "Average Air temperature of 120F" and you should probably report that reading so you can replace Mar Hong Son for the highest recorded temperature in Thailand.

I rather think that you may have extra heat radiating up from the ground around your house that is increasing the local temperature.
Yes you are right and I did mis-say AAT I did mean high. But thats for the better part of the day.

Actually the ground in the shade is rather cool compared to the air temp. The concrete post the thermo unit is on (About 1.5 meters from ground) takes on the air temp.

Starting February now 3 weeks and I'll post Pics

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » July 14, 2022, 10:48 am

G'day all. This is a really important thread for me, as we are about to sign up to build using Q-Con bricks. They've specified 7.5cm but that is the thinnest spec.

Can anyone suggest which thickness is "generally" appropriate?

I can imagine the thicker you go, the better they insulate; but no need to over do it.

Anyone with experience - I would love to hear what you used, and recommend.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 14, 2022, 11:17 am

7.5 seems standard can do 2 make it 150
I would use 2 if was building again

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 14, 2022, 12:26 pm

peterk wrote:
July 14, 2022, 10:48 am
G'day all. This is a really important thread for me, as we are about to sign up to build using Q-Con bricks. They've specified 7.5cm but that is the thinnest spec.

I can imagine the thicker you go, the better they insulate; but no need to over do it.

Not a scientist, but 25 year of experience living in the tropics: I'd invest in anything that can keep the sun from hitting the walls/windows (trees, large overhangs, house orientation). You might be better served with a double wall for walls that are in direct sunlight morning/afternoon (especially east/west facing). But if you can keep the sun off your walls/windows, a double wall isn't going to add much/anything.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 14, 2022, 1:33 pm

peterk wrote:
July 14, 2022, 10:48 am

75mm is the cheapest, most widely stocked and available. Cavity walls are the way to go if you want all the benefits (sound, heat & fire) while having no visible pillars.

You can see the complete build https://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=4890 here
With some of it here
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » July 16, 2022, 2:36 pm

noosard wrote:
July 14, 2022, 11:17 am
7.5 seems standard can do 2 make it 150
I would use 2 if was building again
Thank you for your valuable advice 🙏

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » July 16, 2022, 2:42 pm

Hi guys. Many thanks for your valuable advice regarding Q-Con blocks. It's greatly appreciated 🙏

Return to “House & Land”