Superblock or Q-Con for building and Price?

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
harry68
udonmap.com

Post by harry68 » April 5, 2016, 10:00 am

tlyons wrote:I would really like to know the best places in Udornthani to buy the Q con block or the superblock that you can get the larger sizes at the best prices the larger hardware stores only offer one size ?
We ordered our 20cm x 20cm x 60cm via SCG 55 baht each
and 18.5 for the 7.5x 20cm x 60cm

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » April 5, 2016, 11:23 am

another place is the hardware store across from the BMW / Tesco on ring road. They even ordered Q block items for me. Back then they were also the cheapest place I had found, but that was maybe 8 years ago.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » April 5, 2016, 6:55 pm

Have you checked with Home Mart on the ring road across from Global House? We bought our superblock from them a while back. They can also order larger sizes and lintels if you want.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 5, 2016, 8:07 pm

well as we are building too with these blocks , i prefer to put double wall to a big size block , also more price friendly,
bought blocks at 15.50 baht /piece so it is 31 baht double wall ....(also easy to put electric -waterlines inside the double wall) we bought them at the chinese shop near makro ...he has got good prices , but not for all things , driving around (gasoline cheap now) can save you a lot money ....
fe roof tiles screws , +100 baht cheaper a box depending where you buy them , also water and electric pipes big differences... ;)

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » April 6, 2016, 11:03 am

fdimike wrote:Have you checked with Home Mart on the ring road across from Global House? We bought our superblock from them a while back. They can also order larger sizes and lintels if you want.

Mike, Have you been to Home Mart lately? Went there a few weeks back, forgot what I was looking for, but it seems like they carry almost nothing these days. I was a little shocked. Guess a sign of competition.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » April 6, 2016, 5:01 pm

Yeah I agree. The owner Mr Nopadon seems to have lost interest in his business and now devotes his time to car wash business that he has. I believe his wife is running things these days. I think Home Mart is the local rep for Superblock (although available elsewhere) and they can order just about anything from the Superblock people.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 6, 2016, 6:45 pm

Just when you thought Udon couldn't possibly absorb another home improvement center........Welcome to Boonthavorn Home Center. Not quite open yet......but looks to be soon. At the ring road/Kutjap intersection, directly across from the sports college. It's gonna be huuuuuge.
There is one benefit from having so many such stores. In the past, you almost had to do the ringroad-Global/Homepro/Homemart circuit, but now if you live on the other side of town there are stores aplenty, probably in your neighborhood.....or certainly closer.

Thanks to bobbi udn on skyscraper city for the photo.
Attachments
12321435_964469726981463_7845476161272255632_n.jpg

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » April 6, 2016, 7:17 pm

Yes, been watching them build it. Think wife said it opens in June?

But the last time I went by, said to wife, building to close to road, where will people park, maybe in back?

The good thing these days, when I go to Global House I can find a parking space. Think GH opening another location on KK road might have helped?

Skip

Re: Superblock or Q-Con for building and Price?

Post by Skip » January 7, 2017, 4:54 pm

I have built a home of Q-con or super block, whatever same same haha
Now I want to tile everything. Anyone have info on that?
Do I stucco first? What should we use for attachment regular mortar????
Tnks for any info in advance

PS used the 20cm x 20cm x 60c block But if doing again I'd use 2 - 7.5cm with air gap aproxamatly 5cm and turn one flat about every 4 courses CHEEPER!
Used this technique on my 3rd floor. Worked great

The big ones cost me 74 Baht each and the thiner ones are about 20 Baht each. still end with about R-8 wall. For about 1/3 less
But then I had 4" (10cm) of Spray foam applied inside and built a thai block wall about 10cm out with PEX tubing in the gap.
Then filled the gap with concrete around the tubing.
This tubing will carry ground water (About 80 Farenhite 27 Celsius in my area 100' or 30M down) Average Air temp my area 120 F - 50 C
So internal should be 28C year round.
If I want cooler I'll use AirCon but should be cheeper then trying to cool a Thai built home.

Even without doors and windows in place, building is quite a bit cooler.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » January 8, 2017, 7:45 am

It was all going so well until I got to the average air temp 50C. :D

You don't live in Thailand I assume.

Skip

Post by Skip » January 8, 2017, 10:12 am

Det Udom Ubonratchathane
Ok right now 27-30 but summertime 45-50 in the shade more times then not.
My thinking was what I needed to work against.
Sorry for not being more specific.
Skip

Skip

Post by Skip » January 8, 2017, 10:17 am

I have built a home of Q-con or super block, whatever same same haha

I see the price has come down a little. Only here 3mo a year. bought mine 3 years ago (Or the builder got his share haha)

Skip

Post by Skip » January 8, 2017, 10:48 am

For my roof I used two layers separated by the 3" x 3" steel square tube. Second sheet applied from inside building. There is air flow between the sheets of SunTie Galvanized roofing because of the Raised crimping the steel sheet. Air goes in behind the gutters and out around the 3rd floor which is a sun deck. Or was as I've now put a roof over it.
Then in the house I had 6" of Urethane Foam applied to the inner sheet of steel on the roof.
I took a thermo meter to the outer and inner sheet. Before application of foam.
Outer read 179 F - Inner 161 F

Skip

Post by Skip » January 8, 2017, 12:52 pm

I did have a 2' Concrete Culvert berried below the 60cm x 1m footings from my Patio to the back of the shop to build an air to air heat exchanger. 9.7m center to center of the 90 uprights on each end.
I think I will put 14 - 4" aluminum dryer vent pipes in this culvert for the Ingoing Air with the outgoing air exiting around them. This will be next years project.

Skip

Post by Skip » January 8, 2017, 1:04 pm

The 6" slab sits on 2" of urethane foam on top of the 8" WHITE Block so the slab is disconnected from the ground by R-24
The walls are R-38 and the ceiling is R-42

Skip

Post by Skip » January 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Skip

Post by Skip » January 8, 2017, 4:14 pm

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 8, 2017, 8:14 pm

Skip wrote:I have built a home of Q-con or super block, whatever same same haha
Tnks for any info in advance

PS used the 20cm x 20cm x 60c block But if doing again I'd use 2 - 7.5cm with air gap aproxamatly 5cm and turn one flat about every 4 courses CHEEPER!
Used this technique on my 3rd floor. Worked great

The big ones cost me 74 Baht each and the thiner ones are about 20 Baht each. still end with about R-8 wall. For about 1/3 less
But then I had 4" (10cm) of Spray foam applied inside and built a thai block wall about 10cm out with PEX tubing in the gap.
Then filled the gap with concrete around the tubing.
This tubing will carry ground water (About 80 Farenhite 27 Celsius in my area 100' or 30M down) Average Air temp my area 120 F - 50 C
So internal should be 28C year round.
If I want cooler I'll use AirCon but should be cheeper then trying to cool a Thai built home.

Even without doors and windows in place, building is quite a bit cooler.
Galee wrote:It was all going so well until I got to the average air temp 50C. :D

You don't live in Thailand I assume.
Spot on with that.

His thermometer is delusional, a roof temperature of 81.6C is impossible in Thailand, it is just possible that if its painted with a black heat absorbing paint it just might get somewhere near that.
An average air temperature 0f 50 C is equally impossible anywhere even in Thailand, even a peak of 50 is extremely rare if ever seen.

The record high for Thailand is a temperature of 44.6 °C (112.3 °F) Mae Hong Son 28 April 2016

A ground water temperature of 27 C at 30M is also unlikely in northeastern Thailand, it should be at least 5 degrees lower than that.

I can't find his roofing materials on google. PEX is an American brand and system that could only be obtained by direct import, it isn't available here. His wall insulation would have cost 1,260 Baht per Sq M and the roof insulation 1,890 Baht per Sq Metre, or more than 6 times the cost of a single layer roof of ColourBond.

The only things that seem to be correct are the prices for AAC block, though you can get 7.5cm blocks for under 15 Baht if you hunt around, buy truck full quantities and get them from the factory.

Skip wrote:For my roof I used two layers separated by the 3" x 3" steel square tube. Second sheet applied from inside building. There is air flow between the sheets of SunTie Galvanized roofing because of the Raised crimping the steel sheet. Air goes in behind the gutters and out around the 3rd floor which is a sun deck. Or was as I've now put a roof over it.
Then in the house I had 6" of Urethane Foam applied to the inner sheet of steel on the roof.
I took a thermo meter to the outer and inner sheet. Before application of foam.
Outer read 179 F - Inner 161 F
Impossible see above

Skip wrote:I have built a home of Q-con or super block, whatever same same haha

I see the price has come down a little. Only here 3mo a year. bought mine 3 years ago (Or the builder got his share haha)
If you want to see the process go to
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/w ... 99-75.html

And scroll down you can see the render being delivered and applied. There are two types used in my walls, first is the AAC render that is cheaper but has a course finish that is topped with a coat of normal render that is much smoother
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Skip

Post by Skip » January 12, 2017, 7:44 pm

Well give me time and I'll post Pics for you to prove what I say. Have to wait till end of February when the temp goes up.
I thought strange also so took 3 other Thermometers out to the one on the patio where the first is on a post in the shade. Yup all three 120 F so maybe 48-49 C And I'll do a roof handheld inferred pic for you also - galvanized steel roofing.
Next year I'll bring the swimming pool remote temp sensing unit back to thailand and send pics of that. [-X
I'll let you talk to the guy that sprayed the foam on my building if you want.
let me know if you want his #

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 15, 2017, 4:48 pm

Skip wrote:Well give me time and I'll post Pics for you to prove what I say. Have to wait till end of February when the temp goes up.
I thought strange also so took 3 other Thermometers out to the one on the patio where the first is on a post in the shade. Yup all three 120 F so maybe 48-49 C And I'll do a roof handheld inferred pic for you also - galvanized steel roofing.
Next year I'll bring the swimming pool remote temp sensing unit back to thailand and send pics of that. [-X
I'll let you talk to the guy that sprayed the foam on my building if you want.
let me know if you want his #
A high of 120F is rather different from an "Average Air temperature of 120F" and you should probably report that reading so you can replace Mar Hong Son for the highest recorded temperature in Thailand.

I rather think that you may have extra heat radiating up from the ground around your house that is increasing the local temperature.

FWIW I have already had my roof sprayed so I won't need that number.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “House & Land”