Solar energy

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
kopkei
udonmap.com

Re: Solar energy

Post by kopkei » August 17, 2022, 5:57 am

i have been informing about solar panels and the systems , been to this shop ,they seem to have good service and decent explanation about the product , the result to me , is that it is still way too overpriced surely if you use battery packs which are bloody expensive ,and quality? ,as they only give 5 year warranty on battery pack 5kw that costs 150.000 baht ? , i was given a price of 190.000 baht ,on grid system , no batteries , i have made my own inquiry , with the same materials and brand it would cost me not more than 90-100.000 baht and using micro inverters ....so installation costs also way over the top ?... strangely enough they are all installing the cheapest system , with normal inverter , not the better system with micro inverters connected parallel for better efficiency ....
and all installers are avoiding the question if a permit is required from PEA for installing a system? , saying under 5Kw installation permit not needed? .....
also keep in mind an on grid ,no batteries solar system will cut your electric bill only about in half (your system must have a safety your PEA meter can not turn back ! ,as all non solar use ,nighttime /less sun will still make u use the normal grid electric ....as info ;)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 17, 2022, 6:58 am

Upon arrival here some 20+ years ago, Solar Power was here in its infancy and anything that was available was FAR TOO expensive to not only buy and as for installation was a no no.
Later as it came on line and prices were dropping then it did be a viable option, however as has been pointed out installation was too costly, latest technology was not an option . The option I would like would be to make the pwer and any I do not need feed back into the local grid, therefore need for batteries not required a major saving of the installation and running costs generally but sourcing that is I think is a nightmare.
There are many main and local installers and providers, but some I feel are downright dangerous .

BUT now I am in the latter years of my life the expenditure will far outweigh any savings I may make in the first 5/10 years and as the local electricity companies here have made huge leaps in improving the service and far less blackouts now, it seems a pointless exercise.

If one is that worried important power can be provided by a Portable generator to save frozen objects and provide water into a house at those times of no electricity. Those costs , purchasing a reliable one are reasonable and requires minimum maintenance.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » August 17, 2022, 9:00 am

Khun Paul wrote:
August 17, 2022, 6:58 am
... I do not need feed back into the local grid, therefore need for batteries not required ....
Wouldn't batteries be helpful for providing electricity at night?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 17, 2022, 10:01 am

Udon Map wrote:
August 17, 2022, 9:00 am
Khun Paul wrote:
... I do not need feed back into the local grid, therefore need for batteries not required ....
I wasa referring to the practice of being able to top up the local energy supplier at night you would use them , as 99% of power outages here are in the daytime, night-[time it is hardly ever.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » August 17, 2022, 10:39 am

Khun Paul wrote:
August 17, 2022, 10:01 am
Udon Map wrote:
August 17, 2022, 9:00 am
Khun Paul wrote:
I wasa referring to the practice of being able to top up the local energy supplier at night you would use them , as 99% of power outages here are in the daytime, night-[time it is hardly ever.
Oh, I see. IIRC the U.S. requires power companies to buy excess power back from homeowners who have solar whenever the electricity production from solar exceeds the home's requirements. I can't remember if there is a single two-way meter or if there are two meters, one to measure the home's draw from the utility and the other to measure electricity supply to the utility when the home is using less than it produces.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » August 17, 2022, 10:53 am

dont know about where you are but the power goes off at night just as much as during the day
Worse at night if trying to sleep without AC

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » August 17, 2022, 11:58 am

I noticed the outlaws have slowly been investing in solar at the farm over the past few years. The biggest game changer for them has been the solar well pump. They are now able to grown many more vegetables, on a smallish scale, enough for personal consumption with some left over for the dragon to sell at the market.

They also have a couple solar panels and cheap looking invertor / battery set up to charge phones / run fan during the day and for fan / lights at night.

I'd say it's made a big change in their lifestyle as now will live on the farm most of the time.

Interesting statistic about solar panels on the roof;
According to a study conducted by researchers at UC San Diego Jacobs School of Engineering, solar panels reduced the amount of heat reaching the roof by an incredible 38%, keeping a building's roof 5 degrees cooler than portions of a roof exposed to sunlight directly

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » August 17, 2022, 2:38 pm

Makes sense as the solar panels are shading the roof

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 17, 2022, 2:59 pm

deankham wrote:
August 17, 2022, 11:58 am
I noticed the outlaws have slowly been investing in solar at the farm over the past few years. The biggest game changer for them has been the solar well pump. They are now able to grown many more vegetables, on a smallish scale, enough for personal consumption with some left over for the dragon to sell at the market.

They also have a couple solar panels and cheap looking invertor / battery set up to charge phones / run fan during the day and for fan / lights at night.

I'd say it's made a big change in their lifestyle as now will live on the farm most of the time.

Interesting statistic about solar panels on the roof;
According to a study conducted by researchers at UC San Diego Jacobs School of Engineering, solar panels reduced the amount of heat reaching the roof by an incredible 38%, keeping a building's roof 5 degrees cooler than portions of a roof exposed to sunlight directly
Interesting post Mr D.

I never realised the heat reduction aspect. In fact, I have never seen any adverts for solar panels pointing out this significant benefit. Thanks for that piece of info
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 17, 2022, 6:38 pm

noosard wrote:
August 17, 2022, 2:38 pm
Makes sense as the solar panels are shading the roof
...and don't catch fire.
Screenshot_20220817-193704.png
Whoosh!!!
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » August 17, 2022, 7:08 pm

^ oh bugger. Didn't think about the 'Somchai' effect. Crappy quality panels, cables and ------ installation.

Was also thinking about how many birds, snakes, rats, etc, etc would be nesting under the panels.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » August 17, 2022, 7:27 pm

Had paper wasps under mine
little bastarrds

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 2, 2023, 4:14 pm

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 27, 2024, 7:26 am

From one of my (filthy fossil fuel exploration) industry news feeds, some interesting and enlightening Q & A factoids.

Is offshore wind commercially viable?
Many projects need a commercial reset; supply chain challenges, lack of standardised technology and inflation have been driving up costs and slowing rollout. Meanwhile, oil companies are offering record shareholders returns.

What do you consider the biggest impediments to the energy transition?
Insufficient grid infrastructure, which is often poorly designed for adding new intermittent power supplies. Also, lack of funding – it needs trillions, not billions of US$; slow project & planning approvals don’t help.

Which is growing faster, wind or solar power?
In 2023, the single largest contribution was solar (~1.1 GW) driven by small-scale roof top installations, next offshore wind (~0.9 GW), then onshore wind (~0.8 GW). During the year, China built more solar than the USA has in its entire history. Solar generation over the last decade consistently grew faster than expected.

That last one I find very interesting on two points.

1 ) You chaps investing in home solar are making a bigger contribution than companies working on wind-powered alternatives, well done chaps! And

2 ) Just look at China go!
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 27, 2024, 8:04 am

tamada wrote:
February 27, 2024, 7:26 am
From one of my (filthy fossil fuel exploration) industry news feeds, some interesting and enlightening Q & A factoids.

Is offshore wind commercially viable?
Many projects need a commercial reset; supply chain challenges, lack of standardised technology and inflation have been driving up costs and slowing rollout. Meanwhile, oil companies are offering record shareholders returns.

What do you consider the biggest impediments to the energy transition?
Insufficient grid infrastructure, which is often poorly designed for adding new intermittent power supplies. Also, lack of funding – it needs trillions, not billions of US$; slow project & planning approvals don’t help.

Which is growing faster, wind or solar power?
In 2023, the single largest contribution was solar (~1.1 GW) driven by small-scale roof top installations, next offshore wind (~0.9 GW), then onshore wind (~0.8 GW). During the year, China built more solar than the USA has in its entire history. Solar generation over the last decade consistently grew faster than expected.
Bought to you by Mandy Rice Davies. ;)

Return to “House & Land”