Pay by Smartphone

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
parrot
udonmap.com

Pay by Smartphone

Post by parrot » December 15, 2021, 1:12 pm

More and more people paying by smartphone (bank apps). Simple to do.....open your bank app, scan the QR code, enter your pin and the amount, review, submit. Oh, to be free of pockets full of 25/50 satang pieces!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: Pay by Smartphone

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 15, 2021, 4:06 pm

Yep been using it for some time now.
Satangs finish up at the Wat donation box.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 15, 2021, 4:26 pm

Half the customers doing the banking app scan thingmie that I get behind at check out must be on a very low data package. Unless you get one of them cashiers that thrice counts the change, the app thingmie isn't a lot faster than cash. Also my youngest now has five piggy banks for daddy's "shrapnel".

No big deal, it still means the same time waiting in traffic somewhere once I'm done.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 15, 2021, 4:47 pm

tamada wrote:
December 15, 2021, 4:26 pm
Half the customers doing the banking app scan thingmie that I get behind at check out must be on a very low data package. Unless you get one of them cashiers that thrice counts the change, the app thingmie isn't a lot faster than cash. Also my youngest now has five piggy banks for daddy's "shrapnel".

No big deal, it still means the same time waiting in traffic somewhere once I'm done.
I think there's a learning curve for lots of people using the apps.....sort of like the early daze when yai was at the ATM machine and held up the line.
I'm striving not to be the last person in the checkout line who has to 'write a check' (use cash).

I keep an alka-selzer style tube in the truck.....full of change. The market ladies love it when I pay for my fruit with 1, 5, 10 baht coins. I can easily get rid of a hundred or two baht in a single market trip. In the end though, I won't miss the day when coins are a thing of the past.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 15, 2021, 5:30 pm

^ As always parrot, you make a good point well and offer a solution for others still bound by cash, arbitrary pricing and immense cargo pockets.

I vote for anything that removes the inattentive shopper who only starts digging in her purse (or his manbag) for the 'pennies' to pay for their 2,404.75 baht shopping cart full of "today's special".
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » December 15, 2021, 6:37 pm

Smartphone apps, credit cards, debitcards
We often hear of people carrying on that the government controls too much and knows too much regarding our movements. They want to control you say Well this certainly feeds them when we use theses apps, creditcards etc
Also when we use the credit card the store owner pays a premium to VISA, Matercard etc It used to be years ago 5%.

Cash is the Master and always will be

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 16, 2021, 4:31 pm

I did an endurance run through Central today.....all five floors, ate and shopped pretty much on each floor (tis the season) and walked out without any change in my pockets. When I got home I could call up my SCB account and see each of my seven debits on my phone app.
1.41 miles, shopping done

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 16, 2021, 4:48 pm

Interesting to note , at least in Aus, the first thing I noticed with those paying with c/c is the cashier asking, "would you like any cash out today?" ......most do....sort of blows a big hole in that so-called "future without folding stuff".

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » December 16, 2021, 10:35 pm

I just returned from Minnesota after spending a little over three months up there with my cousins, didn’t go up there at all last year because of Covid. First time we went out to the sports bar I used my credit card and I noticed they tacked on an extra 3% if paying by debit/credit card. I asked my cousin about it and he said it’s something they started doing over a year ago. Every single restaurant and bar up there does that now, anywhere from 2 1/2% to 3%. They were doing it in Wisconsin also. It became legal in Texas in 2013, but I haven’t seen any businesses here do it yet.

Side note, the extra charge was being applied in restaurants and bars, but not in retail shops or grocery stores.

At some point in time all of these apps will probably start charging fees, just like ATM’s. Cash will still rule for quite a few more years IMO.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 17, 2021, 1:45 pm

My AARP goal is to not be overtaken by technology.
Today.......3 stops, all took SCB QR scan......another return trip with no jingles in the pockets. Thank you, new generation!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 17, 2021, 8:32 pm

bluejets wrote:
December 16, 2021, 4:48 pm
Interesting to note , at least in Aus, the first thing I noticed with those paying with c/c is the cashier asking, "would you like any cash out today?" ......most do....sort of blows a big hole in that so-called "future without folding stuff".
Now that's an interesting observation. When I visited the UK maybe four years ago, I was surprised how many shoppers with plastic were using this cashier cash out option like an ATM machine.

My last visit this Autumn and I didn't see anyone doing this. In fact, I don't recall the cashiers offering it. Most plastic users were using contactless payment so maybe the convenience of that is superior to the cash out option and they hit the ATM elsewhere. When I used contactless payment, and the couple of times when my purchases exceeded the limits and I needed to do the PIN thing, I didn't see a cash out option being offered.

In addition, I did note that the amount of customers using the self checkout aisles was far more than previously observed. Maybe this increase in TOTALLY contactless interaction has been driven by Covid precautions?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 18, 2021, 4:53 am

Yes but this so-called "contactless transaction" is a furfie as well.
Trip to the supermarket and I could almost guarantee any item you select has been through at least a dozen hands before it gets to you, not to mention shoppers who pick items up, take a peek and then shove it back.
That doesn't include all the kids who have had their hands and fingers stuck who knows where running uncontrolled now the school holidays are in full swing.
Then you get to the checkout where each and every item gets handled once again by the cashier to do the scan, then once again to get packed in "your plastic bag". The latter being yet another furfie.
Then , in Thailand, the final rustle through and check before one exits the building.
So I have to hand them cash, big deal, nothing compared to the rest of the story.

I have yet to see how a scammer can get to the cash in my pocket but your so-called smart phone with a direct route and stored history and data leading directly to your bank account..........mmmmmmm :lol: :lol:

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”