The all-new "Where to open a bank account in Udon" thread.

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
tamada
udonmap.com

The all-new "Where to open a bank account in Udon" thread.

Post by tamada » October 18, 2020, 4:26 pm

Just rounding up the latest experiences around town as this being Thailand and all, there's been some changes.

So if anyone has opened a new bank account within the last 6 months in Udon, can they mention what bank, what branch, what type of account and any special requirements that were required, ie. deposits, address verification, letter of introduction, insurance, etc..

Ta
tam

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: The all-new "Where to open a bank account in Udon" thread.

Post by Stantheman » October 18, 2020, 9:47 pm

tamada wrote:
October 18, 2020, 4:26 pm
Just rounding up the latest experiences around town as this being Thailand and all, there's been some changes.

So if anyone has opened a new bank account within the last 6 months in Udon, can they mention what bank, what branch, what type of account and any special requirements that were required, ie. deposits, address verification, letter of introduction, insurance, etc..

Ta
tam
Plus if on Visa, the type, or Permission to Stay

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 18, 2020, 10:08 pm

Stantheman wrote:
October 18, 2020, 9:47 pm
tamada wrote:
October 18, 2020, 4:26 pm

Ta
tam
Plus if on Visa, the type, or Permission to Stay
Yes, salient points. Good catch Stan.

Please also confirm your immigration status when you established the account.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 19, 2020, 8:15 am

Krungsri, a brisk walk along from immigration beside the pavement market.
Marriage extension of stay, Mai tai Dai account pays over 1% and a 4 year time deposit for immigration paying 1.3%
No withholding tax as they have my tax ID copy
Required SWMBO with usual paperwork & passport, I don’t remember if I had my yellow book and pink card.
Did not get, did not want, an ATM card (my choice it was offered) online and branch banking is enough.
Initially deposited 2,000.
No insurance.
No immigration address letter.
Told them the reason for the account was immigration and higher than usual interest rate
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 19, 2020, 10:26 pm

Krungsri down by All Season Place, Witthayu Road, Bangkok, but 15 months ago. Opened both a FCD Account and a Thai Baht Account at the same time, with my,

Non Imm O-A Visa
Passport
Condo Chanote
Thai Phone Number

No need for Insurance
No need for a Letter from Thai Immigration regarding my Address - In fact they knew and were OK with me, Not living in Thailand.

Took about one hour and they have Cyber banking whereby you can check the balances in either Account On-Line (which is actually better than KASIKORN On-Line). The girls (was three of them??) then loaded the Krungsri On-Line APP onto my Thai Phone and helped me test it.

Also got a yellow Passbook (it says Savings Account) and an ATM Card, which says KRUNGSRI DEBIT but with a VISA sign in the bottom right corner, (Color Grey, Yellow, Silver triangle pattern), good for 5 years. But haven't used it to date, so don't really know it it is DEBIT ONLY or VISA CREDIT

Pleasant staff, plus fluent in English and very efficient, which is one reason why I went to BKK to do it. I was given the name of a certain Lady there, by a friendly Farang, who had done it 3 months earlier, at this particularly Krungsri Branch. So contacted her a week before by phone, emailed her my information at the same time and she was completely organized when I arrived.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 20, 2020, 7:38 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 19, 2020, 10:26 pm

Also got a yellow Passbook (it says Savings Account) and an ATM Card, which says KRUNGSRI DEBIT but with a VISA sign in the bottom right corner, (Color Grey, Yellow, Silver triangle pattern), good for 5 years. But haven't used it to date, so don't really know it it is DEBIT ONLY or VISA CREDIT
It will be a Visa Debit not a Visa Credit card.

Both Visa and MasterCard can be debit cards. It’s the bank that decides and Visa or MasterCard system interfaces with the bank.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 21, 2020, 6:37 am

krungsri big c flyover ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 21, 2020, 8:14 am

kopkei wrote:
October 21, 2020, 6:37 am
krungsri big c flyover ;)
Cheers, did they ask about or check on your visa status?

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » October 21, 2020, 10:40 am

Is 7 months ok Tam? I opened a Bangkok Bank account in central with just my passport, they set up online banking and issued a visa/ MasterCard debit card.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » October 21, 2020, 10:45 am

I forgot to mention I’m on a retirement visa , I took the missus with me and told her to explain my visa which she duly did.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 22, 2020, 7:41 am

i think so (isn't it mandatory ,normally?), i showed my passport and yellow book...
strangely they needed also my foreign address ,which i do not have ,so i gave our daughters who is staying abroad ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 22, 2020, 8:21 am

@Chuchi: seven is ok, thanks. Basically "since the pandemic started" is the time frame.

@kopkei: Thanks for that. Yes, normally they do need to check the visa status but there's always TiT and YMMV.

Plenty anecdotal tales of foreigners claiming getting a bank account with an expired bus pass so being precise and factual is handy.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”