Another UK pension hit.

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Another UK pension hit.

Post by Old Grumpy » November 6, 2019, 4:33 am

I know there must be others on here claiming what was known as a married mans pension, officially known as an adult dependency pension , where you get extra every month for your wife, this of course was frozen along with yours if you lived here at the rate when you moved, nether less it was some help.Now this was discontinued for new claimants in 2010, but those already getting it before that date were given a reprieve until April 2020. Well that's nearly here so if you get it you will lose up to 300 pound a month from your govt pension in April.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/un ... te-pension
Along with the stopping of Bereavement benefit and widows pension last year, seems they don't like us emigrating, does it?
According to the attached, the wife can claim the pension for herself providing she is entitled to it AND is resident in the UK .Neither of which applies to us .

Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Another UK pension hit.

Post by tamada » November 6, 2019, 10:21 am

^ It would appear that the legislators that make up these laws still live in a world that's full of terraced houses, crammed full of Asians and all their dependents who came here with the sole reason to suck on the national tit.

"The most significant wave of Asian immigration to and settlement in the United Kingdom came following World War II, the breakup of the British Empire and the independence of Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and later Bangladesh, especially during the 1950s and 1960s."

That was then, this is now. Successive governments have failed to address the changes in the immigration demographic which could be attributed to the free movement double standard that came with EU membership. Everyone else has a very high set of hurdles to qualify these days.

Hundreds of years after the fact, we see the US and Australia and New Zealand (sort of) apologizing for their trampling on the indigenous and denying them rights. Maybe in another few hundred years, we will see western governments apologizing for disenfranchising their own just because they chose to work, live and love on foreign shores.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » November 7, 2019, 5:11 am

Quick question, is the govt pension taxable, just wondering as I pay taxes on my U.S. Social Security because total income, due to wife working 2 jobs, is above set threshold

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » November 7, 2019, 6:38 am

Stantheman wrote:
November 7, 2019, 5:11 am
Quick question, is the govt pension taxable, just wondering as I pay taxes on my U.S. Social Security because total income, due to wife working 2 jobs, is above set threshold
It is like all UK based income subject to income tax but taken alone is not sufficient to attract any, however if you have a working wife or incoming rental income it's addition could put you in a tax bracket, as could receipt of an additional private pension regardless of your individual age.
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 7, 2019, 9:48 am

Old Grumpy wrote:
November 7, 2019, 6:38 am
It is like all UK based income subject to income tax but taken alone is not sufficient to attract any, however if you have a working wife or incoming rental income it's addition could put you in a tax bracket, as could receipt of an additional private pension regardless of your individual age.

Vote Conservative, vote Boris, you know it makes sense .
A vote for anyone else increases the chance of a Marxist government
Danger alert - Val has been captured by the Internet Research Agency https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Research_Agency and turned into a Russian bot. :shock:

:D

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 8, 2019, 5:48 am

I have to live 26 weeks a year in NZ, if I want the pension all year..
overstay the 26 weeks overseas by a couple of days, and I have to pay the whole years pension back, not just the couple of days..so feel pleased with what you got.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » November 8, 2019, 6:15 am

Very simply put, for anyone resident in UK the first £12,500 of annual income in UK (from any source) is free of tax. After that you are taxed on all UK income. The UK Government pension is well below this level and therefore not taxed at source.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » November 8, 2019, 6:17 am

maaka wrote:
November 8, 2019, 5:48 am
overstay the 26 weeks overseas by a couple of days, and I have to pay the whole years pension back, not just the couple of days..so feel pleased with what you got.
It is not a question of feeling pleased or not, when you have paid into a scheme for over 50 years of your life you expect to get the benefits you were promised, regardless of where you live or how old your wife is.Us UK pensioners living here knew we wouldn't get any annual cost of living, which is not good but we knew it, so accepted it, actually made our plans based with that knowledge, but never for one moment thought when well into our eighties that the pitiful return we are getting from our life long contributions would be slashed in half.How does one plan for that? The ridiculous thing is if we are forced to return, our pensions would then be updated, in my case for 17years, making the pay out for the govt more than what it is now every month. Add to this the many other benefits I would then be entitled to, health, welfare, rent etc etc , they would be well out of pocket but my living standards would take a hit including causing the end of my marriage. I don't want any of this, I just want to be left alone to die peacefully of old age, enjoying the love and care of my family in the warmth of my garden here in Udon. Would you be pleased with that?
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 8, 2019, 7:00 am

Forgive me for nitpicking , but you have been receiving this benefit for years , and you have had 10 years to adjust your finances .
It also states on the government website , that payment for a dependent spouse will cease if they start work .

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 8, 2019, 7:04 am

While I concur with the apparent unfairness of the English pension scheme and being English I knew too about the disparity of pensions . The fact that years ago it was decided that all adults should b e able to receive their own pension, this was in part because unlike decades ago women were not only living longer but also single, maybe because of marriage breakdown and there became a lot of women in poverty as being no longer married were not entitled to the marriage pension, plus some men did not declare their NEW single status.
Having said that when I was young even my father paid for a full stamp for my mother, so she would be entitled to her own full pension , she lived some 25 years longer than him.
I was also vaguely aware that when the new deal was made law ( loss of Marriage pension for the wife ) there were options for husbands to remedy that by some payment or other .

On the upside were you aware a large contingent of MPs are complaining about the disparity for pensioners living in countries not recognised by the UK Govt as with the NEW Pension rules we will miss out on system and the numbers affected are only 500,000, and dwindling yearly . One hopes they will be successful although I am not holding my breath

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 8, 2019, 8:07 am

nicely put Old Grumpy, we are of the same mind..I too grew up paying into the NZ Super Scheme thinking there would be no problems, when it came to my later years, but alas, the goal posts keep shifting, the cost of living out strips any pitiful increase in pension, and no one told me that I couldnt live outside the country for more than 6 months if I wanted the pension..thing for me is, I get far less than you other fellas for my dollar to baht, but hell, at least some money is coming in, whereas before nothing was..and the dole is only half the penison...sorry its your thread, just giving some comparisons to ponder

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » November 9, 2019, 7:18 pm

maaka wrote:
November 8, 2019, 5:48 am
Hi maaka

Sent you a PM

Hope it helps

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 10, 2019, 2:02 pm

On the upside were you aware a large contingent of MPs are complaining about the disparity for pensioners living in countries not recognised by the UK Govt as with the NEW Pension rules we will miss out on system and the numbers affected are only 500,000, and dwindling yearly . One hopes they will be successful although I am not holding my breath.

Kung Paul

Agree with what you say but did you notice how quickly the thieving scoundrels (need to be careful with my language these days) in our esteemed Government moved to assure all Brits living in EU Countries that they would still benefit from the index linking of their UK State Pensions after Brexit but the other Brits living outwith recognised agreement Countries can just continue sucking it up. There was me thinking what a wonderful system we have in the UK where illegal immigrants have more rights than Brits who live in other Countries and we never discriminate against anyone despite race, colour, religion etc apart from those Brits that live in certain Countries. Really annoying when you think that the total cost to the Exchequer would probably be less than the subsidies given to the Westminster bars and restaurants, to allow our high and mighty to continue troughing at the taxpayers expense.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 10, 2019, 7:47 pm

Yes all noted, I got a friend to do some calculations, if 25% of the current expats went back ( those living in those countries not recognised ) it would cost the UK Government far more than if they actually paid the increase to the 500k currently not entitled

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 11, 2019, 11:03 am

AlexO wrote:
November 10, 2019, 2:02 pm
On the upside were you aware a large contingent of MPs are complaining about the disparity for pensioners living in countries not recognised by the UK Govt as with the NEW Pension rules we will miss out on system and the numbers affected are only 500,000, and dwindling yearly . One hopes they will be successful although I am not holding my breath.

Kung Paul

Agree with what you say but did you notice how quickly the thieving scoundrels (need to be careful with my language these days) in our esteemed Government moved to assure all Brits living in EU Countries that they would still benefit from the index linking of their UK State Pensions after Brexit but the other Brits living outwith recognised agreement Countries can just continue sucking it up. There was me thinking what a wonderful system we have in the UK where illegal immigrants have more rights than Brits who live in other Countries and we never discriminate against anyone despite race, colour, religion etc apart from those Brits that live in certain Countries. Really annoying when you think that the total cost to the Exchequer would probably be less than the subsidies given to the Westminster bars and restaurants, to allow our high and mighty to continue troughing at the taxpayers expense.
Great Post AlexO........ =D> =D> =D> =D>

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 12, 2019, 8:28 am

sorry for butting again, but I made a statement re 26 weeks on and off, and must correct myself for those, if any ,who took some heed from my words. It appears that one may apply to a special NZ pension committee for ones ' Portability ' of pension, if wanting to live in Thailand all year round..if you meet the criteria, it can do done..so learnt something that may be of great importance to me from this thread..thanks

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 12, 2019, 10:27 am

Khun Paul wrote:
November 10, 2019, 7:47 pm
Yes all noted, I got a friend to do some calculations, if 25% of the current expats went back ( those living in those countries not recognised ) it would cost the UK Government far more than if they actually paid the increase to the 500k currently not entitled
If i had to move back for financial reasons , i would be a royal pain in the arse for my local social security office , and local M P .
As im retired i would make it my remaining lifes work to pester , harass , and argue with both to squeeze every last penny i could out of the state !!!!!
I reckon without too much effort i would cost the state at least twice what i am currently getting , and working on it 5 days a week i could probably get that up to three times . :shock:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 12, 2019, 12:15 pm

That doesn't sound much fun. Why not try picking up some part-time work? You might enjoy it.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 12, 2019, 12:21 pm

maaka wrote:
November 12, 2019, 8:28 am
sorry for butting again, but I made a statement re 26 weeks on and off, and must correct myself for those, if any ,who took some heed from my words. It appears that one may apply to a special NZ pension committee for ones ' Portability ' of pension, if wanting to live in Thailand all year round..if you meet the criteria, it can do done..so learnt something that may be of great importance to me from this thread..thanks
I think there are some messy tax issues with this Maaka. You need to look into them too. I understand the taxing rights on the pension are with Thailand and if you can't prove to NZ's Inland Revenue that you paid income tax in Thailand then if you move back to NZ they will whack you for NZ income tax over multiple years with late payment penalties.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 12, 2019, 1:37 pm

GT93 wrote:
November 12, 2019, 12:15 pm
That doesn't sound much fun. Why not try picking up some part-time work? You might enjoy it.
Another fine example of you knowing nothing your talking about . =;

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”