Opening a new bank account in Udon Thani

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
tamada
udonmap.com

Opening a new bank account in Udon Thani

Post by tamada » October 26, 2018, 10:34 pm

I already have Bangkok Bank account that I opened years ago in Pattaya. I want to open another account in Udon Thani as a back-up.

With fairly recent changes in bank account restrictions where the default 'must have a work permit' seems to be the main criteria, that's no use to a retired (n Thailand), married bloke like me. Digging deeply into Bangkok Bank's account opening rules, in lieu of a WP, they will accept a 'test' transfer and/or a letter of introduction from your overseas bank. The transfer option doesn't address the fact that not all foreign banks use the same account identity system (SWIFT v IBAN v BIC) and AFAIK, getting a written letter from a western bank died long before they started replacing friendly, local branch managers with anonymous pop-up 'ask a question' options on their websites.

So, has anyone without a WP but with a provenance of a longish life in Thailand RECENTLY opened a NEW bank account in Udon? Was it with an existing bank or a new bank? What provenance was accepted? I have read about customers with pre-existing, long term accounts being denied a new account at the same branch of the same bank because of no WP.

I would prefer an alternative to BB that also offers a good online and mobile phone banking experience and the usual debit card that can be used online as well as at POS. Push comes to shove, I will accept another BB account of they look to offer the path of least resistance.

Ta
tam

kopkei
udonmap.com

Re: Opening a new bank account in Udon Thani

Post by kopkei » October 27, 2018, 9:32 am

will update this next week as i am planning to open new account with internet banking , not with stupid bkk bank though ;)

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 27, 2018, 10:00 am

I opened a Krungthai bank account recently in addition to my existing Kasikorn account. No problems at all. Just needed ID and proof of address from memory.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 27, 2018, 10:24 am

samster wrote:
October 27, 2018, 10:00 am
I opened a Krungthai bank account recently in addition to my existing Kasikorn account. No problems at all. Just needed ID and proof of address from memory.
Can you be more branch-specific? If I get super lucky, I may get the same staff member that worked for you instead of a ritual 'cannot' type.

Ta
tam

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 27, 2018, 11:04 am

Hi tamada

It was 12 months back. I already had a Kasikorn Baht account (for 4 years) and wanted to open a Kasikorn AUS Account. No major problem and did it at the the Kasikorn Central Plaza Branch even though I don't have any O-A or Retirement Visa yet and certainly no Work Permit for Thailand.

Can't comment on the BB as don't have an account with them

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » October 27, 2018, 6:55 pm

I managed to open a new account in July this year went to kasikorm and after waiting for an hour was told I need confirmation of address by immigration I got this at a cost of 500THB valid for one month went back to central there were 50 odd people in the Q so tried my hand at BB in and out in 10 mins no problem 500 THB dep or 850 with ATM I dont have a WP and am on a Non O that I get going through Laos for my dependent daughter they know me at udon IO as I go in for my 60 day extension all I can say if you want an account with kasikorn go at opening time 1100 am central if not will take you all day

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 28, 2018, 3:58 pm

tamada wrote:
October 27, 2018, 10:24 am
samster wrote:
October 27, 2018, 10:00 am
Can you be more branch-specific? If I get super lucky, I may get the same staff member that worked for you instead of a ritual 'cannot' type.

Ta
tam
It was actually in Khon Kaen (Central Plaza Branch) in August. I dealt with 2 or 3 members of staff with no issues. Maybe I got lucky

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » October 29, 2018, 2:21 pm

I tried Krungthai as I had an account with them before they had no interest in farang accounts thet was udon central plaza branch

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 30, 2018, 3:35 pm

was at central in kasikorn branch to open new account , in my case it would have been possible because i am married with thai lady, they did need the marriage certificate to do this ..., if not married it is only possible to open an account if you have a valid visa , (business,student, work permit...) and if non O with a special ? recommendation letter from immigration office , so in my case (i didn't bring marriage certificate) i kept the old account and updated all...
now on the other hand a friend of mine opened 6 months ago an account with GSB (nonthaburi), only needing valid non O visa , passport and yellow book ....so as with all in los it will differ from branch to branch ...
and if you have some old slumbering accounts they can always be revived ....good luck to all .. ;)

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 30, 2018, 8:19 pm

A friend of mine on a 30 day visa on arrival just opened an account at Bangkok Bank using only his passport. No problems encountered at all.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » November 4, 2018, 2:06 am

a reply of an e-mail send to kasikorn bank about foreigner opening bank account....
Referring to your inquiry about opening an account, we would like to provide you with the information you have inquired: If you would like to open an account, you can contact any Kasikorn Bank branch in Thailand.

Kasikorn Bank accepts the type of foreigner as follows:
1. Doing business in Thailand.
2. Retirement.
3. Having a medical treatment in Thailand.
4. Investing in Thai securities.
5. Buying a real estate in Thailand.
6. Working in Thailand.
7. Being a foreign government sector officer or International organization officer.
8. Spouse or family of foreigners who are working in Thailand or being a foreign government sector officer/International organization officer.
9. Studying in Thailand.
10. Burmese, Laotian, Cambodian, Malaysian (borderlands) who are working in Thailand.
11. Minorities in Thailand (The person who lives in Thailand, but do not have Thai nationality).
Note:
- Tourist customers are not allowed to open an account.
- Opening an account for Iranian and North Korean depends on the bank consideration.
- Required documents and minimum deposit of account opening depends on the type of foreigner.
If you are retired, required documents for opening an account are as follows:
1. Passport, or Travel Document for Aliens (T.D.), or Certificate of Identity (CI), or Temporary Passport.
2. Thai Retirement Visa, or Non-Immigrant Visa Type "O-A" (Long Stay).
Required minimum deposit of account opening is 10,000 Baht (for a savings account)
If you would like to apply for a debit card, you must be at least 15 years old.
Fee charges depend on the type of issued card as follows:

- K-DEBIT Card 300 Baht (Application Fee 100 Baht + Annual Fee 200 Baht)

- K-MY Debit Card 400 Baht (Application Fee 150 Baht + Annual Fee 250 Baht)

- K-MAX PLUS Debit Card 800 Baht (Application Fee 150 Baht + Annual Fee 650 Baht)

- K-Football Thai Debit Card 600 Baht (Application Fee 250 Baht + Annual Fee 350 Baht)
KASIKORNBANK PCL. would like to thank you for using Kasikorn Bank products or services. If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact K-Contact Center at Tel. (66) 2888 8800 or email us at [email protected] 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Service is our heart, so you can 'Leave everything in our hands'.
KASIKORNBANK Towards Service Excellence.

Yours Sincerely,
K-Contact Center
KASIKORNBANK PCL.
so if you qualify according to mentioned above and they refuse to open an account , you are dealing with an incompetent branch of kasikorn ....
as info .... ;)

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 6, 2018, 11:10 am

Unfortunately 'cannot' is a too frequent answer these days at Thai banks. When i wanted to open a reserve bank account 2 years ago, It took FIVE attempts (I already had a Kasikorn account). I tried 2 different branches of 3 banks (didn't need the last i had lined up). This was even though i had been on Visa extension for 4 years! I was told MUST have work permit by one bank (2 branches) or must have work permit or yellow book by the other three (I do not currently have a yellow book). Had to chat up the bank clerk at the last attempt and we talked about our daughters - 5 minutes later, OK!

You just have to keep on trying. You may need to try the main branches in town centre rather than at Central.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 6, 2018, 2:41 pm

kopkei wrote:
October 30, 2018, 3:35 pm
was at central in kasikorn branch to open new account , in my case it would have been possible because i am married with thai lady, they did need the marriage certificate to do this ...
Looks like this is my first pick when I get back in town.

Ta
tam

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » November 6, 2018, 4:35 pm

my how things have changed, years ago it was
recommended for tourists to open a bank acct
as a safe place to keep their travel cash or an

emergency stash( local that is) instead of relying
on room safes or luggage locks. not so any more

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”