UK debit or credit cards.

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
Wisdom
udonmap.com

UK debit or credit cards.

Post by Wisdom » October 17, 2017, 3:23 pm

I am presently living in the UK but will be fully retired to Udon Thani later this year. Is there a credit card or any certain bank debit card best for use in Thai ATM's? My present bank co-operative do not seem very competitive using their debit and credit cards abroad. Thanks.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: UK debit or credit cards.

Post by vincemunday » October 17, 2017, 3:30 pm

Definitely check your terms and conditions, I lost a lot of money when I came here because I used an HSBC debit card. My advice is bring what you need to get by, open a Bangkok Bank account then transfer funds into it via your online banking, each transfer with HSBC only costs £3.99. Bear in mind that if you use a UK debit card in a machine here you will get charged per transaction at the till in addition to your bank charges and they don't always give you the best conversion rate.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » October 17, 2017, 3:33 pm

ive been using this one for 7 plus years,i go into the bank and draw out money for the month,i then go online and pay it off straight away http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/la ... T.tsrc=MSE it was voted the best card to use abroad on the ''moneysavingexpert'' website,not sure if it still is http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel ... ds#halifax
Last edited by TAXIfor7/11 on October 18, 2017, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 17, 2017, 4:20 pm

Wisom, until very very recently you had to phone the co op to get a transfer of funds into a Thai bank account, but when I last phoned they informed me that they have now made it possible to transfer the money using on line banking

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 18, 2017, 4:00 am

Credit cards, absolutely the Halifax Clarity card is the best. I have been using it for cash for the past 5 years in Thailand. No fees whatsoever from the bank for use out of the UK, whether cash or purchase - you get the Mastercard exchange rate. Of course, you pay interest on cash withdrawals from day one, but my interest is only a couple of pounds a month max. I have even compared it to using swift transfers to a Thai bank, and unless you transfer more than 2000 GBP at a time, it is always cheaper to use the clarity card plus you get the money instantly (I assume you will also withdraw your money on the Clarity card only in large amounts, to minimise ATM fees).

If you set up a Halifax reward CA, and can meet it's conditions, they will pay you 3 GBP a month as well - and you can pay your Clarity card direct from the CA with online banking and see your CC statements.

Always have 2 ways to withdraw your money in Thailand, just in case.

Wisdom
udonmap.com

Post by Wisdom » October 18, 2017, 5:00 am

Thanks for all the great advice! I have just successfully applied for the Clarity card from Halifax. Don't they worry that you are not based in UK at all? My bank account will be UK and taxes all paid here too. I just tell them I am going to Thailand as if holiday and they are happy? Anyway, thanks again to everyone!

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » October 18, 2017, 9:38 am

No problems using it in thailand/abroad , every single transaction ive used it for in 7 plus years has been thailand,funny enough they blocked it a few months back when i tried to buy something online in england :D {ive been based in thailand for those 10 plus years}when you set your online banking up,you can tell them you will be using it in thailand

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » October 18, 2017, 11:20 am

rick wrote:
October 18, 2017, 4:00 am
Credit cards, absolutely the Halifax Clarity card is the best. I have been using it for cash for the past 5 years in Thailand. No fees whatsoever from the bank for use out of the UK, whether cash or purchase - you get the Mastercard exchange rate. Of course, you pay interest on cash withdrawals from day one, but my interest is only a couple of pounds a month max. I have even compared it to using swift transfers to a Thai bank, and unless you transfer more than 2000 GBP at a time, it is always cheaper to use the clarity card plus you get the money instantly (I assume you will also withdraw your money on the Clarity card only in large amounts, to minimise ATM fees).

If you set up a Halifax reward CA, and can meet it's conditions, they will pay you 3 GBP a month as well - and you can pay your Clarity card direct from the CA with online banking and see your CC statements.

Always have 2 ways to withdraw your money in Thailand, just in case.
RICK,Have you ever used the clarity in a thai ATM?,I use mine by going into bank and use their hand held machine punch my pin number in,and show passport and sign name,just wondering whats the most you can draw out from ATM in one go.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 19, 2017, 2:13 am

Hi,

Yes use in Thai Atm's about 20-30 times a year. Very occasionally there is a problem, usually because internet links are down and it doesn't get verified, but usually ok the next day. I use Aeon Atm's as they only charge 150 baht fee as opposed to 200 or more elsewhere. There is a limit at Aeon of 20,000 baht per withdrawal, not an issue as only withdraw 2 or sometimes 3 times a month. Other ATM's may let you take more. Only problem - not all ATM's are compatible. For some reason they changed the ATM's at Tesco UDtown about 18 months ago and they do not work. All other Aeon ATM's work, and those of other banks i have used sometimes.

I have tried to use the card in a couple of banks in Udon to make a counter withdrawal, but have either been denied or surcharged by the bank. Has been accepted at BigC, Tesco, Global house and hotels, but some places they have problem with it. Works 95% of the time.

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » October 19, 2017, 9:46 am

As an alternative, I have a Santander Zero card which I have used for years. Also no charges/fees apart from interest if cash not paid into account immediately

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » October 19, 2017, 10:04 am

Hi Panmotor
How does the Sant Zero exchange rate compare to other exchange rates?
I have a Santander 123 a/c but not heard of the Zero card

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » October 19, 2017, 1:36 pm

vidmaster wrote:
October 19, 2017, 10:04 am
Hi Panmotor
How does the Sant Zero exchange rate compare to other exchange rates?
I have a Santander 123 a/c but not heard of the Zero card
TBH never really checked in detail but always been happy with what I got and certainly better than exchange rates locally.

I was offered it about 10 years ago when Santander were my main bank as an add on to my current account but still have it now even though I bank elsewhere. I have used it pretty much all over the world with no problem. If I use an ATM, I go online and transfer some cash on to the CC to avoid interest charges.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » October 19, 2017, 2:22 pm

Santander were only trying last week to sign me up for their Zero card when they heard I use the Halifax Clarity. They claimed it matched the Clarity in all aspects & from what I could find out, they were probably right. The exchange rate is standard as published on line which is the same as any other Mastercard including the Clarity. However, I didn't bother because the old saying its not broken so why fix it. The Clarity has served me well over the last 10 years.

Although there's probably one matter I need to address fairly soon, the local Halifax branch told me I couldn't change my correspondence address to Thailand, it HAD to be UK based. Santander said I could register Timbuktu for all they cared
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » October 24, 2017, 4:31 pm

I use two cards - MBNA (American Express - no fees) and Santander Zero.

MBNA is accepted at Big C and Tesco but not in all outlets. Both are at standard card rates.
With Santander there is also NO charge for withdrawing cash from ATM (only the local bank charge).

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 4, 2017, 1:36 am

gprit wrote:
October 24, 2017, 4:31 pm
I use two cards - MBNA (American Express - no fees) and Santander Zero.

MBNA is accepted at Big C and Tesco but not in all outlets. Both are at standard card rates.
With Santander there is also NO charge for withdrawing cash from ATM (only the local bank charge).
I recall MBNA UK was sold by Bank of America to Lloyds last year. Not sure what the American Express connection is that you mention.

I have MBNA (UK), RBS (both MasterCard) and Amex (UK). I note that Amex doesn't get hit with the 220 baht local ATM fees. I think it's 50 baht but I don't use any of these in ATM's too often.

My debit cards from RBS and NWI are both VISA but never see the light of day in LOS.

I opened an account with Barclay's about 2 years ago so I could have separate but linked £ and $ accounts without going offshore and came with a VISA debit card. I only use it to authorize online banking transactions since their PINSentry card reader set-up and usage all seems a bit arcane compared to RBS/NWI. I haven't signed up for a Barclaycard despite the regular mail shots and 'great introductory rates' offered.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 4, 2017, 11:01 am

I Only ever used my U.K Debit Card HERE For Buying Anything Online,Like Airline Tickets or on e-bay...
NEVER Used it from an ATM Here.....

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » November 6, 2017, 5:49 pm

I have used my Nationwide flexiplus debit card ( it used to be basic flexi but upgraded when offered what I considered a good deal for 13 pounds sterling per month which you can easily make up especially when drawing larger amounts over time. ( I usually draw between 30k and above then transfer it into a local account I have )

The main attraction was being free transfers abroad / Thailand among other things but you can go to the Nationwide web site for more info.

I have made several transfers to here vis the Bangkok Bank and never pay one satang in fees.
I draw Baht and the exchange rate at the bank to sterling has always been higher than the going exchange rate good.
I draw from the Bangkok Bank then walk across the road to deposit the cash into my Kasikorn account,again no charges for this of course.

You can use the ATM's but this does incur the standard local ATM fee and in any case I make sure I have enough funds.
marshbags

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”