Bank ATM Fees 180

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
bumper
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by bumper » January 7, 2015, 5:27 pm

Bangkok Bank changed theirs to 180, have the other banks done the same?

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by BobHelm » January 7, 2015, 5:42 pm

Aeon are still less at 150 & one of the other banks as well, but I can't remember which.

The banks put it up to 180 quite a while ago & that was when Aeon started charging after being free for years..

bumper
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by bumper » January 8, 2015, 11:32 am

Well that tells you how often I use it. I'm lucky my bank reverses the fees. So it ends up costing me nothing. I th9nk what grabbed my attention all the talk of making the place tourist friendly. This kind of move doesn't fit with that.

I'm a bit confused at the moment, my Police Retirement goes into Bangkok Bank in Mew York. Problem I have to be there and take the money out personally. Hey In the hospital for some reason doubt I can get to a bank.N0 ATM card can be issued for the account We were told that my could get the money with no problem.

I was is the hospital last week so it came to mind. asked if she could get and was told NO!!!!!!!!!!! Extended hospital stay talk about a creek and no paddle. We opened a joint account that has an ATM at their direction theory being as long as I signed my passport and the withdrawal slip they would transfer the money to that account where she have access to it. I will do a dry run on that next month. I'm not confident it will work. I know guys who have been bedridden here for years, so i could be a major problem.

My other money goes to my account in the U.S. problem they will not send an ATM card to Thailand. So I have friend in America who is on the account, But we are getting to be old gits so things can change, matter of which one of us checks out first.

So I need to take a better look at how to get money from America to here. Doing a money transfer each month would really be costly with my bank in the states about $60.00 a whack.

I will check into Pentagon Federal anyone else got ideas. I'm sorry this certainly got off topic
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Peter USNR
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by Peter USNR » May 3, 2015, 5:32 pm

Navy Federal Credit Union in Virginia accepts direct deposits. They will refund up to $10.00 for the fees that Visa on their card charges. I have an account with them as I took one of my deposits away from Bangkok Bank. They do not of course refund the machine fee you pay in Thailand. They have a daily withdrawal limit of $600.00 US. I opened up my account with them on line from Thailand.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by FrazeeDK » May 4, 2015, 7:31 am

my credit union used to require an intermediate bank.. It doesn't any more.. During work hours Stateside I can request a transfer via secured e-mail and the CU will contact me within an hour or so via e-mail, confirm a phone number, call me and vett me with security questions, then make the transfer.. I last did it a couple of months ago. The money transferred within a few hours (amazingly) and my CU's fee is $20.00.
Dave

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by BigBubba » May 4, 2015, 10:13 am

bumper wrote:Well that tells you how often I use it. I'm lucky my bank reverses the fees. So it ends up costing me nothing. I th9nk what grabbed my attention all the talk of making the place tourist friendly. This kind of move doesn't fit with that.

I'm a bit confused at the moment, my Police Retirement goes into Bangkok Bank in Mew York. Problem I have to be there and take the money out personally. Hey In the hospital for some reason doubt I can get to a bank.N0 ATM card can be issued for the account We were told that my could get the money with no problem.

I was is the hospital last week so it came to mind. asked if she could get and was told NO!!!!!!!!!!! Extended hospital stay talk about a creek and no paddle. We opened a joint account that has an ATM at their direction theory being as long as I signed my passport and the withdrawal slip they would transfer the money to that account where she have access to it. I will do a dry run on that next month. I'm not confident it will work. I know guys who have been bedridden here for years, so i could be a major problem.

My other money goes to my account in the U.S. problem they will not send an ATM card to Thailand. So I have friend in America who is on the account, But we are getting to be old gits so things can change, matter of which one of us checks out first.

So I need to take a better look at how to get money from America to here. Doing a money transfer each month would really be costly with my bank in the states about $60.00 a whack.

I will check into Pentagon Federal anyone else got ideas. I'm sorry this certainly got off topic
Although this does not conform to the topic heading it relate to problems with Bangkok Bank. I'm in America now for an undetermined amount of time. Below are copies of my recent correspondence with the bank:

Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 9:44 AM
To: info BangkokBank
Subject: U.S. SSA direct deposit account

Hello,

I am now in America and will be here for at least 6 months. Currently my SSA benefits are being direct deposited into account #xxxxxxxxxxx . I went to the SSA office today to cancel my direct deposits but they cannot stop the transfer scheduled for 3 May. How can I proceed to get my money, in U.S. dollars, here in America. I'm in Arizona, very far from New York City.

Thanks,

Dennis

reply:

info BangkokBank Apr 19
To
Dennis Near
Dear Mr.Dennis,

We are glad to be of help to you in connection with your inquiry about Direct Deposit Account.

We are sorry that "Direct Deposit Account" is not applicable for ATM, internet Banking. You must appear in person to make withdrawals only at the branch where the Account has been opened; no appointee or representative will be allowed.

In case of residing, please be advise to contact the branch where you opened an account and directly talk to branch manager about your inquiry because the extra practice is under his consideration and responsibility?

We apologize for any inconvenience occurred.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can also contact our phone banking center at +66-2645-5555 (from the overseas) or 1333 (from within Thailand), a 24/7 service to acquire more information. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Web operations

My reply to them:

Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 11:49 AM
To: info BangkokBank
Subject: RE: U.S. SSA direct deposit account

Ok understand this: I AM IN AMERICA. I CANNOT GO TO MY LOCAL BRANCH IN THAILAND. I HAVE OPENED AN ACCOUNT AT WELLS FARGO BANK, IN MY NAME, IN THE USA. I WANT TO DO AN ACH TRANSFER OF MY MONEY IN U.S. DOLLARS WHEN IT IS DEPOSITED ON 3 MAY. MY ACCOUNT NUMBER IS xxxxxxxxxx THE ROUTING NUMBER (RTN) IS 122105278. ACCOUNT NAME DENNIS R NEAR.

PLEASE BE ADVISED IF THIS IS NOT DONE I WILL BRING LEGAL ACTION AGAINST BANGKOK BANK IN NEW YORK. I WILL ALSO ADVISE THE SSA GOVERNMENT OFFICE OF YOUR ACTIONS WHICH MAY EFFECT YOUR FUTURE RELATIONS WITH THIS AGENCY.

WHEN YOU REPLY TO ME PLEASE BE PROFESSIONAL AND PUT A NAME OF WHO IS RESPONDING.

THANK YOU,

Dennis

To which they replied:

info BangkokBank Apr 24
To
Dennis Near
Dear Mr.Dennis,

Please be inform you that we have already forwarded your requested to Udonthani branch manager for consulting.

When we received a result, we will reply you immediately via email.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can also contact our phone banking center at +66-2645-5555 (from the overseas) or 1333 (from within Thailand), a 24/7 service to acquire more information. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Web operations

Well, several more emails followed. I eventually contacted the branch manager in NYC and my money was in my Wells Fargo account Saturday, 2 May. But it wasn't easy. I will NEVER bank with Bangkok Bank again. I will keep my Wells Fargo account and make ATM withdrawals when I return to Thailand regardless of the ATM fees!
Every day I wake up is a good day.

bumper
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by bumper » May 4, 2015, 10:35 am

My bank does refund the Thailand fees. That was the real thought in writing the post. They want to attract more people making it cost more probably won't help with that.

Dennis if your Bangkok account is like mine. you probably don't have an ATM card for it You have to be physically present with passport and bank book in hand.

If you had an ATM card you could use that, to get the money.

It sucks no doubt about it.

I wish I had an answer, think about you get sick are in the hospital, something you can't plan for. How do you get your money,

So of the employees say it won't be a problem, others say you are the only one who can take the money out and my wife can't get it.

Widows who have made the mistake of telling Thai banks the husband died. Have had the accounts seized immediately
So my guess is you will be in the same situation.

Hopefully it will only be one month. I have to say one month would dure a hell not be fun to deal with. Man I wish I had an answer.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by papaguido » May 4, 2015, 12:00 pm

bumper wrote:My bank does refund the Thailand fees. That was the real thought in writing the post. They want to attract more people making it cost more probably won't help with that.

Dennis if your Bangkok account is like mine. you probably don't have an ATM card for it You have to be physically present with passport and bank book in hand.

If you had an ATM card you could use that, to get the money.

It sucks no doubt about it.

I wish I had an answer, think about you get sick are in the hospital, something you can't plan for. How do you get your money,

So of the employees say it won't be a problem, others say you are the only one who can take the money out and my wife can't get it.

Widows who have made the mistake of telling Thai banks the husband died. Have had the accounts seized immediately
So my guess is you will be in the same situation.

Hopefully it will only be one month. I have to say one month would dure a hell not be fun to deal with. Man I wish I had an answer.
You have to be physically present with passport and bank book in hand.
Have accounts seized immediately upon death.
Inconvenience of making a personal visit to bank and transfer or withdraw funds.

Some key points as to why I don't direct deposit my pension/disability via Bangkok Bank. I bank with USAA credit union and receive 15 free ATM withdrawals a month and I can reset my daily limit to $1000.

bumper
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by bumper » May 5, 2015, 11:57 am

I'm in the process of setting an account with PEN Fed Credit Union now. I two retirements that go to an account in the states now. Problem is that bank will not send a ATM card to Thailand. I'm told that Pen Fed will send one here directly I have friend on the accounts in the states and he forwards the ATM cards to me.

MY visa is sit up on a monthly income placed in a Thai bank from outside the country source.

Problem immigration will not accept ATM receipts.

I'm still trying to work through this problem with Bank of Bangkok now, trust me they are not easy to work with on things like this.

It is now the 5 th of the month I know the transferred from New York was made on the first as of today not credited to the account yet. Thai Holidays

So there are definite draw backs and good reason to think this through.

As a norm I get money by the 2nd of the month an I'm notified that it is in the account via SMS.

When it works right it's great.

Can't go there can be a real problem

thrilled
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by thrilled » May 6, 2015, 5:04 am

I use schwab.They reimburse all ATM fees.

Peter USNR
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by Peter USNR » July 2, 2015, 7:56 pm

Most ATM machines here do not post the ATM fee separately but include it in the withdrawal amount. So hard to be reimbursed for something that does not show. USAA advised me of this and sure enough the withdrawal fee was not shown separately.
NFCU also reimburses me but again hard to do on a fee not shown, but at least I get the VISA ATM fee reimbursed.

Twixies
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by Twixies » July 2, 2015, 8:57 pm

I had been talking to my bank also. I use visa and mastercard. Thailand is very clever as Peter write. The 180 baht fee is on the top of what you want to take out. If you take 10000 they Will take 10180 and you have to say yes to that. So i Can not get the fee back from my bank.

On the other hand you pay fee in the visa and MasterCard country right now the fee is 160 for visa and 250 and then the Thai atm fee

waanjai
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by waanjai » July 3, 2015, 1:07 am

If the 180 Baht fee while using foreign ATM cards in Thailand buggers You, consider to open up a bank account (savings account) with a Thai bank. Yearly costs are very low and much less than the 180 Baht fees on foreign VISA, Maestro or Mastercards etc. for a certain period of time.
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by Stantheman » July 3, 2015, 1:53 am

waanjai wrote:If the 180 Baht fee while using foreign ATM cards in Thailand buggers You, consider to open up a bank account (savings account) with a Thai bank. Yearly costs are very low and much less than the 180 Baht fees on foreign VISA, Maestro or Mastercards etc. for a certain period of time.
Agree with waanji, I transfer funds from U.S. bank(No Fee) to Bangkok Bank via wire, pay the small 200- 350 baht fee, then wife gets money out as we need with no added fees. Of course this only works for those of us with a Thai spouse or own account in Bangkok Bank and not directly transferring U.S. government allotments to Thailand.

Peter USNR
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by Peter USNR » July 3, 2015, 5:39 am

Mind telling us what Bank charges you no fee to wire Transfer your funds to Bangkok Bank NY since I believe all Transfers must go through NY. I also believe NY then charges you a fee that might not be known to you ranging from $5.00 upwards.
Then Thailands fee of 200 - 500 Baht.
To find out for sure next time you do a wire transfer ask the Branch to do a print out of the Transfer then you will know for sure.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by Stantheman » July 3, 2015, 5:49 am

Peter USNR wrote:Mind telling us what Bank charges you no fee to wire Transfer your funds to Bangkok Bank NY since I believe all Transfers must go through NY. I also believe NY then charges you a fee that might not be known to you ranging from $5.00 upwards.
To find out for sure next time you do a wire transfer ask the Branch to do a print out of the Transfer then you will know for sure.
You are wrong about everything going through New York Bangkok Bank, my Bank of America account wires funds directly to Thailand and I see ALL charges, which is NONE due to type of Bank of America account, and when wife receives funds she tells me amount received. I then add the 200 baht fee if small amount (say $800) and compare to rate advertised by Bangkok Bank when transferred done and usually within 4 or 5 baht of what it should be. The most fee I have paid is 500 baht when I send large amounts (say $8,000) for house repairs. Fee info is on Bangkok Banks web page, a little hard to find but there.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by papaguido » July 3, 2015, 5:59 am

Peter USNR wrote:Mind telling us what Bank charges you no fee to wire Transfer your funds to Bangkok Bank NY since I believe all Transfers must go through NY. I also believe NY then charges you a fee that might not be known to you ranging from $5.00 upwards.
For an ACH bank transfer, BBNY pockets $5 on their end and the receiving local bank pockets 200bt for amount of up to $2000. Which works out to about $11 in transaction fees and a favorable FX rate. The same $2000 withdrawal using an ATM works out to about $20 (1% conversion/FX fee) and provided your ATM fee is reimbursed.

*In my experience, for amounts over $1200 it's more cost effective using an ACH transfer via BBNY. For a one time $1000 withdrawal I use ATM ($10 FX fee, ATM fee reimbursed).

papaguido
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by papaguido » July 3, 2015, 6:06 am

Stantheman wrote:
You are wrong about everything going through New York Bangkok Bank, my Bank of America account wires funds directly to Thailand and I see ALL charges, which is NONE due to type of Bank of America account, and when wife receives funds she tells me amount received. I then add the 200 baht fee if small amount (say $800) and compare to rate advertised by Bangkok Bank when transferred done and usually within 4 or 5 baht of what it should be. The most fee I have paid is 500 baht when I send large amounts (say $8,000) for house repairs. Fee info is on Bangkok Banks web page, a little hard to find but there.
Fees schedule from BBNY...

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/ ... omUSA.aspx

Plus another charge from the local receiving bank which is no longer published on Bangkok Banks website and ranges from 200bt to 500bt depending on the $$ amount transferred in.

*I receive SMS from BKK bank detailing the transaction fees when my transfer is completed.

ladda3904
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by ladda3904 » July 3, 2015, 7:17 am

My credit union transfers to BBNY at no cost to me. Allowed 2 free transfers per month.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Bank ATM Fees 180

Post by Stantheman » July 3, 2015, 8:06 am

papaguido wrote:
Stantheman wrote:
Fees schedule from BBNY...

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/ ... omUSA.aspx

Plus another charge from the local receiving bank which is no longer published on Bangkok Banks website and ranges from 200bt to 500bt depending on the $$ amount transferred in.

*I receive SMS from BKK bank detailing the transaction fees when my transfer is completed.
Papa, your chart is correct if you transfer ACH via Bangkok Bank New York but I wire transfer using Swift Code BKKBK which does not go through New York so only fee from Bangkok Bank is the 200 to 500 baht you stated above.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”