E-File US Tax Forms

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

E-File US Tax Forms

Post by LoneTraveler » March 16, 2024, 11:01 am

I have been using a Tax Preparer for my US taxes for the past 14 years without any problem, I can no longer use this company because of a new IRS Regulation which requirers possessing a US mobile phone number which can receive text messages. I tried to sign- in to my account yesterday and after 1 hour and numerous attempts I was stopped when asked for an updated phone number, they would not send a passcode to my phone which I have used for this account for many years.

I called the company in the US and they said the reason I can not update phone is because of the new IRS Regulation requiring all preparers to update phone number with a US phone number including area code. They will no longer accept foreign phone numbers. I asked if this new IRS regulation applied to all tax preparers, they said yes.

I am now searching for a company who I can e-file my tax form, anyone have advice for me. I do not want to buy software because I would have to buy an external drive and the on-line version will follow the new IRS Reg. Worst case, mail a paper copy because I do know how to prepare a 1040 form have done it for years. I do like filing with company because of the e-file factor and verification that the IRS has received the form. Thank you in advance.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: E-File US Tax Forms

Post by jackspratt » March 16, 2024, 11:17 am

Have you looked at getting a dual SIM phone, and maintaining a cheap 12 month US number - if such a thing exists?

That is what I do with my phone, which enables me to receive SMS messages (free) from Australia on my Australian number - with the added benefit that I can immediately use the number when I am visiting Oz.
Last edited by jackspratt on March 16, 2024, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » March 16, 2024, 11:21 am

I’ve used FreeTaxUSA, off the IRS website, for the past two (2) years, never had to receive a text message, all correspondence comes via email.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » March 16, 2024, 12:14 pm

Not sure if this helps but I have been logging into my IRS.gov via ID.me using a US Skype number. Up until this year, the system would send me the SMS to my paid Skype number with a US area code.

This year the Skype text would not work but is gives the option to get a voice call so the 2FA code is send by voice. I used it last week to see if my accountant eFiles already and it worked. I also tested it just now before sending this to get the screen shot attached.

I don't know if setting it up the first time requires SMS text capability, but it is working for me just fine with the voice call.

PS: I do the same with Wise and Fidelity Investments. My last use was a Wise text sent to Skype in last week of Feb24 and Fidelity in the first week of Jan24.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=67318
Attachments
ID.me.jpg
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » March 16, 2024, 1:44 pm

I will give it a try but it must have the ability for SMS text. I just tried another tax preparer recommended by the IRS which I told them I reside in Thailand. I went to the site started to sigh-in and when I reached the requested phone number it stated the number must be in the US so a no go there. I will call the IRS in the US when they open in morning.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » March 16, 2024, 5:40 pm

Try 800-555-1212 for the hell of it. I just read something about this dummy number being used.

All my 2FA comes through email.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » March 17, 2024, 7:15 am

I use Turbotax which efiles for me then sends notice of IRS receiving. No phone required

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » March 17, 2024, 10:00 am

Hi Thank you all for the information. I contacted H&R Block to check if US phone number needed have not gotten back to me. I will try on-line Turbotax next. If not successful in finding a company to e-file for me,I will make a paper copy and mail it to US. I used Thailands EMS to send letter to US, it worked well but that was a few years ago, word is it is not as good as in the past. I used DHL and I think that is the way to go although much more expensive. I would prefer FedEx but not available in Udon as far as I know. Any thoughts?

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » March 17, 2024, 10:04 am

I forgot to mention, I used regular post in Udon and although I have not had any problem with item arriving at the destination, it is hit or miss as to how long it takes. I experienced letters arriving anywhere form 7 to 10 days, which is too long for this document.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » March 20, 2024, 10:51 pm

I have been using taxact.com for many years in Thailand and the US.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » March 21, 2024, 11:21 am

I have been using TaxAct for many years as well with no problems however, I tried to file this year and could not log-in because of the need to possess a US phone number with SMS capability. I contacted TaxAct (phone and email) and was told of the new IRS regulation effective this year which prevents me from using their service. Also, when filing the tax forms to the IRS at the end, they now require a US license another road block for me.

I would like to know if any expats without a US phone number and US drivers License, successfully used TaxAct for the 2023 filing year.

I contacted all the other major on-line Tax preparers services and the same is required, a US phone number. I checked with the IRS online service for free taxpayer service and all require a US phone number. Reason, too much fraud being generated by filing US Expat taxes on-line.

H&R Block did tell me that the US phone number can be ignored and the use of a foreign number is OK. I have not tried because it took too long for them to get back to me concerning this matter and therefore, I did my own taxes (1040) and mailed (March 18) to the IRS via DHL mail service. IRS will not accept Thailand EMS, only DHL, UPS, and FedEx.if you want to use instead of regular mail. I used DHL like all of the other services because, I wanted tracking and a signature.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » March 21, 2024, 3:39 pm

I used FreeTaxUSA in February, no DL or phone # required. Verification code sent via email.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”