Australia: Brittany Higgins and her texts for Labor support

World news discussion forum
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Australia: Brittany Higgins and her texts for Labor support

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 8, 2023, 1:34 pm

I don't quite understand what is going on here but ABC (Australia) suggests that Labor might have had information about a rape case before the last election, and kept this hidden from the public. Rumours indicate that Brittany and her boyfriend were trying to enlist the help of top Labor leaders, including the current Prime Minister, in the rape case. The Prime Minister refused to comment on the texts indicating that it was up to an independent commission to determine the facts. A political analyst on ABC said this is true; however, the Prime Minister can direct a Commission to come up with the truth. Let's see what happens.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-08/ ... /102453872

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Australia: Brittany Higgins and her texts for Labor support

Post by Whistler » June 8, 2023, 2:14 pm

The story broke in a News Limited article that the ABC picked up. Dutton is trying to have it referred to the soon-to-be integrity Authority.

I wonder who planted the story. 55.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 8, 2023, 3:11 pm

I think ABC got it from 'The Australian'. Anyway, why might it be important? Of course, Dutton would like to cash in on it as any opposition leader would.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 8, 2023, 3:20 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
June 8, 2023, 3:11 pm
I think ABC got it from 'The Australian'. Anyway, why might it be important? Of course, Dutton would like to cash in on it as any opposition leader would.
The Liberal party frequently plants stories on friendly News Limited reports, often these are quite embellished. On this site, before the last election, there was a quote from Trekkertony showing indignation about Richard Marles (now Deputy PM) being under the control of the CCP. Planted by John Howard.

Stories that might not get a look-in from other outlets are eagerly reported by News Limited, which in the past has more been a broadcaster of slanted stories rather than being an independent news outlet.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 8, 2023, 3:46 pm

Whistler wrote:
June 8, 2023, 3:20 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
The Liberal party frequently plants stories on friendly News Limited reports, often these are quite embellished. On this site, before the last election, there was a quote from Trekkertony showing indignation about Richard Marles (now Deputy PM) being under the control of the CCP. Planted by John Howard.

Stories that might not get a look-in from other outlets are eagerly reported by News Limited, which in the past has more been a broadcaster of slanted stories rather than being an independent news outlet.
Thanks. I gather then this report lacks merit and is not newsworthy in Australia.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 8, 2023, 3:52 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
June 8, 2023, 3:46 pm
Whistler wrote:
June 8, 2023, 3:20 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:

Thanks. I gather then this is not newsworthy in Australia.
Anything that involves senior politicians is newsworthy, in some cases it would make you go 'wow', in other cases 'yawn'. The Higgins story is a cause célèbre, because of its notoriety, smart pollies tread carefully. Albo is too smart to have faltered on this one.

A 'yawn' case.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2023, 5:32 pm

Whistler wrote:
June 8, 2023, 2:14 pm
The story broke in a News Limited article that the ABC picked up. Dutton is trying to have it referred to the soon-to-be integrity Authority.

I wonder who planted the story. 55.
noos
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » June 8, 2023, 8:00 pm

The current situation of Brittany Higgins boyfriend’s phone texts is gaining extensive media coverage in both radio and television in Australia and makes a mockery of the 2-3 million dollars awarded to Ms. Higgins made in great haste by AG Dreyfuss. Assuming the revelations of a close association with Labour in the texts, one can only hope that the Integrity Authority has the power to subpoena Ms. Higgins and her partner and eventually the truth comes out.
The link may assist in giving an unbiased account of the situation thus far.
https://www.news.com.au/national/channe ... a050194c0d

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2023, 8:30 pm

Oh, so she was just another slut.

Honestly, why do we bother?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 8, 2023, 8:30 pm

A couple of points of clarification, tt.

- what is your (credible) source for claiming Ms Higgins was awarded 2-3 million dollars

- what is your source for stating that Dreyfus (note spelling) made a decision in great haste in relation to the above award?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 8, 2023, 9:33 pm

Hell Tam, crossing the line now with using words like that one.
Defamation, Libel and Slander can be called upon using that.
or just plain rude

Hope this helps

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2023, 11:25 pm

Doodoo wrote:
June 8, 2023, 9:33 pm
Hell Tam, crossing the line now with using words like that one.
Defamation, Libel and Slander can be called upon using that.
or just plain rude

Hope this helps
Honestly, why do you bother?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » June 9, 2023, 5:15 am

The spelling of the AG was deliberate, he made a fuss about something that should have been dealt with in an exhaustive manner. Before Whistler crucifies me for linking the Daily Mail and it’s veracity to this ongoing political shitstorm, the content is being broadly discussed on the ABC.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ayout.html

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 9, 2023, 12:41 pm

trekkertony wrote:
June 9, 2023, 5:15 am
The spelling of the AG was deliberate, he made a fuss about something that should have been dealt with in an exhaustive manner. Before Whistler crucifies me for linking the Daily Mail and it’s veracity to this ongoing political shitstorm, the content is being broadly discussed on the ABC.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ayout.html
What is your source for saying this was not dealt with in an exhaustive manner? Are you saying he did not consult with legal experts in the AG's department? Do you know how long the matter sat in his in-tray.

My understanding was that BH had started legal proceedings and a decision was made to settle the matter out of court. That agreement would certainly have been made with an NDA, so without access to the settlement details, how did you determine the settlement amount?

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » June 9, 2023, 5:37 pm

Whistler, unlike your self proclaimed access to the inner sanctum of the labour hierarchy, l have to rely on undisputed facts. These are the claim by Brittany Higgins was $3,000,000, settled at $2,000,000 without the AG giving other respondents, namely Reynolds and Cash the opportunity to participate in mediation. Is this the new world definition of transparency that you prescribe to.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 9, 2023, 7:03 pm

You are making all the bold claims, i have not quoted any inside contacts. So you not me quoting figures, I don't have a clue, care to quote your sources?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 9, 2023, 8:18 pm

trekkertony wrote:
June 9, 2023, 5:37 pm
Whistler, unlike your self proclaimed access to the inner sanctum of the labour hierarchy, l have to rely on undisputed facts. These are the claim by Brittany Higgins was $3,000,000, settled at $2,000,000 without the AG giving other respondents, namely Reynolds and Cash the opportunity to participate in mediation. Is this the new world definition of transparency that you prescribe to.
Can you set out the "undisputed facts" (and their source) you have relied upon in this thread, tt?

Why am I getting the feeling this is déjà vu all over again?

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » June 10, 2023, 12:18 pm

This whole episode is an absolute hoot.

Liberal staffer (allegedly :lol: :lol: :lol: ) rapes a Liberal staffer in the office of a Liberal Minister and a bunch of Liberal Ministers, the Liberal Speaker of the House of Representatives, Liberal Senators and The Liberal Prime Minister cover up the (alleged :lol: :lol: :lol: ) rape - nothing to see here. Liberal Minister organises for the spoof to be clean-steamed off her couch before the sun comes up. Liberal party machine, Australian Federal Police (aka Liberal Party Storm Troopers) Murdoch and Costello media go into overdrive to victim blame.

According to Liberal opposition leader Dutton it's all the ALPs fault.

That Morrison government was just full of the absolute scum of the Earth.
Watch Me!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 10, 2023, 5:30 pm

Mr M.

An excellent summarisation. The only flaw in your analysis is TT has better sources about the real facts, but they are so sensitive they can not be disclosed. Kinda like the stat decs from Alice Springs from previous beatup.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » June 11, 2023, 6:51 am

The ABC, yes the ABC has flushed out Gallagher, intially came the Sergeant Shultz "l know nothing" to " l did hear something" prior to the release of the allegation to "l knew something but did not use the information". If this is not deliberately misleading Parliament l will become a staunch member of the Labor Party. Sadly, this whole saga will set back for years any complainant in a sexual assaults allegation.

Return to “World News”