Re: Highway code (UK) changes

Post by Whistler » March 22, 2022, 11:24 pm

Here lies the body of Mike O'day
Who died making his right of way
His will was strong
His right was right
but he is just as dead
as if he was wrong
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 23, 2022, 6:25 am

The UK Highway Code changes only strengthen the existing rules for pedestrians and improve the rights of cyclists. There's nothing at all too hard or difficult for any type of road user to comply with let alone complain about.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 23, 2022, 7:00 am

I agree that most of the changes apart from the Priority changes are basically common-sense, however in reality I cannot for the life of me see how it will be enforced as the vast majority of the time braking the rules will occur on side roads, residential roads and extremely busy roads.
THE rules regarding CYCLISTS Are probably for the best but i do feel that IF cyclists are to really comply a Mandatory Insurance and carrying ID must also be in place to level the playing field as it were . CURRENTLY cyclists pay zero Road tax, No requirement ot have Minimum Third party Insurance and any idiot can ride on a busy road ...and they do sometimes deliberately causing mayhem. So the Old Cycling proficiency tests should be reworked to become a requirement to ride on Roads.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 23, 2022, 7:49 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 23, 2022, 7:00 am

THE rules regarding CYCLISTS Are probably for the best but i do feel that IF cyclists are to really comply a Mandatory Insurance and carrying ID must also be in place to level the playing field as it were . CURRENTLY cyclists pay zero Road tax, No requirement ot have Minimum Third party Insurance and any idiot can ride on a busy road ...and they do sometimes deliberately causing mayhem. So the Old Cycling proficiency tests should be reworked to become a requirement to ride on Roads.
Alternatively, those many cyclists who also own a car should be offered a rebate, as they have decided to unclutter the roads when choosing to cycle. 👍

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 23, 2022, 9:32 am

jackspratt wrote:
March 23, 2022, 7:49 am
Khun Paul wrote:

Alternatively, those many cyclists who also own a car should be offered a rebate, as they have decided to unclutter the roads when choosing to cycle. 👍
That's the sort of incentives that the Lib Dems would tout on an election manifesto. Labour would possibly consider it with some caveats. The Tories? Not a snowball's chance in hell.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 23, 2022, 11:08 am

I have investigated years ago accidents in which cyclists were involved and the damage caused by a bicycle was quite amazing the driver on one instance had only Third party fire and theft and had to take the cyclist to court to pay for the few hundred pounds worth of damage . even then the JUDGE Mentioned that cyclists needed to hold minimum third party insurance but I am sure to date no such requirement is in force and the amount we pay to construct Cycle lanes etc, are currently being paid by the Motorised industry.
Even if you own a car you could add a cycling insurance cover to the existing car insurance .
I do remember having accident insurance for my daughter bicycle added to the Home Insurance just in case.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » March 23, 2022, 12:15 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 23, 2022, 7:49 am
Khun Paul wrote:

So how are they going to monitor when the bike is being used? :lol: :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 23, 2022, 12:30 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
I agree that most of the changes apart from the Priority changes are basically common-sense, however in reality I cannot for the life of me see how it will be enforced as the vast majority of the time braking the rules will occur on side roads, residential roads and extremely busy roads.
May as well require insurance for wayward pedestrians and shopping cart insurance for those who like to nick up our parked vehicles. Oh, and certainly proficiency tests for them as well.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 23, 2022, 1:28 pm

Khun Paul wrote:

THE rules regarding CYCLISTS Are probably for the best but i do feel that IF cyclists are to really comply a Mandatory Insurance and carrying ID must also be in place to level the playing field as it were .
Why on earth should a cyclist be required to do something that nobody else is?

There is absolutely no requirement for anyone to carry ID.

Don’t forget it is the U.K. that is being talked about not the USA
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 23, 2022, 1:42 pm

"Why on earth should a cyclist be required to do something that nobody else is?"

Good point ....... but on the same theme why should car drivers be forced to take a competency test before being allowed on the roads when any D/h can walk into a bike shop, buy a bike for a few quid and cause chaos on the roads

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 23, 2022, 1:50 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 23, 2022, 1:42 pm
"Why on earth should a cyclist be required to do something that nobody else is?"

Good point ....... but on the same theme why should car drivers be forced to take a competency test before being allowed on the roads when any D/h can walk into a bike shop, buy a bike for a few quid and cause chaos on the roads
This might help explain:
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... that-legal.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 23, 2022, 2:09 pm

stattointhailand wrote:

I would have thought it's pretty obvious, after considering the difference between a motor vehicle and a bicycle. :-k

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 23, 2022, 2:18 pm

Just one more lethal weapon that kids are allowed in the states I suppose.

In UK you dont get behind the wheel (even with a driving school instructor) until you are 17 by which time most people have a basic level of road safety knowledge.

Can't remember how many hours training it took to get pass the Cycling Pof test, but can remember when about 7 or 8 having to visit the school playground for several days during Summer Hols and having rubber mats laid out as roads, along with portable traffic lights, zebra crossings etc, and a slalom course of obsticles (cones nowadays I presume).

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 23, 2022, 2:22 pm

stattointhailand wrote:

Excuse me? I am NOT a D/h!
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 23, 2022, 2:25 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 23, 2022, 2:09 pm
stattointhailand wrote:

I would have thought it's pretty obvious, after considering the difference between a motor vehicle and a bicycle. :-k
It's pretty obvious that a bike can cause an accident just as easily as any other vehicle ....... more so by the fact that they are not travelling at the same speed as the other road vehicles and can veer from a straight line in a matter of inches giving other road users no time to react

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 23, 2022, 2:26 pm

That is "any d/h or even sensible person like tam" :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 23, 2022, 3:35 pm

stattointhailand wrote:

The point I was making that seems to have been totally missed is that nobody is required to carry ID in the U.K. so why should any group of people be singled out as an exception.

Should cyclist’s be required to have insurance when pedestrians are not is a good question, as they are road users, possibly yes.

But comparing a bicycle, maximum mass about 10kg, average speed 15mph, with a car, maximum mass over 2000kg, average maximum speed, limit+10 mph, is totally disingenuous
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 23, 2022, 3:55 pm

Oh dear not got our thinking caps on eh.
Drivers of vehicles are DUTY bound to have their Driving licence available upon request and if it is their vehicle it will be registered to them .
IF cyclists are expecting that they be recognised as road Users, then some sort of proficiency and insurance should be made mandatory and with that of course will come some sort of Card certificate to identify the rider as being covered etc. We are not TALKING ABOUT HAVING TO CARRY AN ID m STUPID PEOPLE but ensuring in the case of injury or accident people are identified for INSURANCE purposes okay , do try to think outside the box folks it is really easy

Vehicles are easy to identify the driver there are laws top ensure that BUT cyclists , as yet nothing so if a cyclist damaged your car and rode away or gave you a false name and you have to bear the cost or your insurance premiums go up, you are all happy for that to happen are you....Real world folks I would not be happy ,, people LIE

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 23, 2022, 3:59 pm

Well if people want to take bikes on the road they should be subject to a MOT test every year to make sure they are roadworthy. At the same time they can all contribute say 50 quid a year to pay for the building/upkeep of cycle lanes

"should cyclist’s be required to have insurance when pedestrians are not is a good question, as they are road users, possibly yes."

When people are born with 2 wheels as a means of getting round then perhaps the answer would be yes, until then though 2 legs and feet will always be the default mode of transport

Return to “World News”