Myanmar coup

World news discussion forum
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Myanmar coup

Post by Whistler » March 28, 2021, 11:06 am

What a horrible mess. China, Russia & Thailand who could all influence this just sit back. The armed resistance groups are not that powerful and don't appear to have foreign backing. The world has no appetite for another war like factionally torn Iraq so the Tatmadaw have little to worry about.

Sadly, I fear there will be thousands killed and locked up as this brutal Junta crushes dissent.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » March 28, 2021, 4:06 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56546920

And the world stands by as usual.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 28, 2021, 4:39 pm

arjay wrote:
March 28, 2021, 4:06 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56546920

And the world stands by as usual.
From the linked news article:

"Armed Forces Day commemorates the start of Myanmar's military resistance against Japanese occupation in 1945.

A military parade in the capital Naypyitaw was attended by Russia's Deputy Defence Minister Alexander Fomin. Other countries, including China, Vietnam and Thailand, sent representatives but not ministers, according to Reuters.

Min Aung Hlaing said Russia was a "true friend"."

I feel some sort of gauntlet may have been thrown down here but there's your enemy right there.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 28, 2021, 10:20 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 28, 2021, 11:06 am
What a horrible mess. China, Russia & Thailand who could all influence this just sit back. The armed resistance groups are not that powerful and don't appear to have foreign backing. The world has no appetite for another war like factionally torn Iraq so the Tatmadaw have little to worry about.

Sadly, I fear there will be thousands killed and locked up as this brutal Junta crushes dissent.
You have to realise that when countries act they do so in their own self-interest. How would it work to the advantage of any of the countries you listed to interfere? The Thais and Indians do, mind you, permit dissidents to reside in places along the common border.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 31, 2021, 3:11 am

The events in Myanmar are very similar to the tragedy on the four eights (8-8-88). As one writer has noted, The Four Eights 'has become a whispered mantra in Burma...which can only be remembered secretly, behind closed doors. It is as if the events of 1988 never happened. A year after the uprising, a spokesman for the regime summed up what had taken place: "Truth is true only within a certain period of time," he announced. "What was truth once may no longer be truth after many months or years " - Emma Larkin. Finding George Orwell in Burma

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2021, 5:17 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
March 28, 2021, 10:20 pm
Whistler wrote:
March 28, 2021, 11:06 am

You have to realise that when countries act they do so in their own self-interest. How would it work to the advantage of any of the countries you listed to interfere? The Thais and Indians do, mind you, permit dissidents to reside in places along the common border.
The Thais do what now?

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... g-myanmar/

Of course the Thai military have subsequently denied this while stopping media and other observers from going anywhere near the Thai border area "due to Covid."

After the Myanmar Air Force started bombing their own, the UN is set to make another announcement about how "deeply" this and "horribly" that they are. Maybe they need to name and shame the representatives from Russia, China, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand that attended Armed Forces Day. They were no doubt feted and fed in air-conditioned comfort while the Tatmadaw carried on murdering people.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... s-14518876

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 31, 2021, 6:04 am

I see they are following the Myanmar genocide playbook , whioch they have been following for decades and STILL no-one and especially Thailand does NOTHING. No surprises there, Thai Army like the Police ineffectual Uniform carriers.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 31, 2021, 7:03 am

151 killed in the month of February in Myanmar and 1440 killed on Motorbikes in Thailand? And you call it a Genocide over in Myanmar?
Clean up the backyard we have first

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2021, 10:10 am

^ Not only is English not your first language but I fear that relevance isn't your strong point either.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 31, 2021, 10:27 am

you are tiring at the best
And so what if Eng is not my first language?
From what I see with you is a lonley person who needs to post on a continuous basis.
I hope you find happiness in your world
This may help
"Narcissistic personality disorder — one of several types of personality disorders — is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism."

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 31, 2021, 10:34 am

Doodoo wrote:
March 31, 2021, 10:27 am
From what I see with you is a lonley person who needs to post on a continuous basis.
This may help
"Narcissistic personality disorder — one of several types of personality disorders — is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism."
Oh well said, could not have said it better myself

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2021, 10:35 am

Doodoo wrote:
This may help
I reckon you've got me confused with someone who gives a sh*t?

Now off you go, back in your largely unread "Yes it really happened" box.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2021, 10:36 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 31, 2021, 10:34 am
Doodoo wrote:
This may help
Jog on.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 31, 2021, 10:40 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 31, 2021, 10:34 am
Doodoo wrote:
This may help
^Now that is funny
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 31, 2021, 11:22 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 31, 2021, 6:04 am
I see they are following the Myanmar genocide playbook , whioch they have been following for decades and STILL no-one and especially Thailand does NOTHING. No surprises there, Thai Army like the Police ineffectual Uniform carriers.
A coup-happy Thai army, led politically by a coup leader, is hardly likely to have any objections to a coup in a neighbouring country.

Unless they are looking to climb a few rungs higher on the World Hypocrisy Index.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 31, 2021, 11:24 am

Doodoo wrote:
March 31, 2021, 7:03 am
151 killed in the month of February in Myanmar and 1440 killed on Motorbikes in Thailand? And you call it a Genocide over in Myanmar?
Clean up the backyard we have first
Are the Thai army and police shooting people on motorbikes, and then shooting more at the funerals of the dead motorcyclists?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 1, 2021, 10:24 am

CORSICANA, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – A suspect is in custody after a shooting at a funeral home in Corsicana that left one person dead, police said.
Maybe Myanmar should send troops to the US to stop the shootings at funerals.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 1, 2021, 11:09 am

Doodoo wrote:
April 1, 2021, 10:24 am

Maybe Myanmar should send troops to the US to stop the shootings at funerals.
Or maybe they should clean up their own backyard first.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 1, 2021, 6:36 pm

To illustrate the closed society that Myanmar/Burma has become since 1962, the Burmese like this joke: '`There was once a Burmese man who travelled many hard miles in order to visit a dentist in a neighbouring country. When he arrived at the dentistès office, the dentist was surprised to learn how far the man the man had travelled. Are there there no dentists in your country, he asked the man with concern. Yes, yes, we have dentists, the man replied. The problem is we are not allowed to open our mouths.

Please excuse the problems with punctuation, I keep getting French instead of quotation and question marks.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 7, 2021, 4:16 am

Myanmar's youth is calling for a boycott of Thingyan, their version of Thailand's Songkran, as a show of defiance and honor those murdered by the junta.

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/my ... slain.html

Return to “World News”