Myanmar coup

World news discussion forum
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Myanmar coup

Post by Khun Paul » March 14, 2021, 6:44 am

It would seem that as usual the Military in Myanmar ( Burma) are following the age old play book, , now resorting to shooting and killing their own unarmed protesters sitting down.
As I said from the beginning this is NOT going to end nicely, and unlike decades ago the World has no appeti9te for these types of actions , what will happen is anyone's guess, but I suspect it is not going to be pretty.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 16, 2021, 6:28 pm

The Tatmadaw have always said that when they shoot, they shoot to kill. They have been doing this for decades, and one should not be surprised that they are doing it again. https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/myanmar-c ... -1.5950519
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 16, 2021, 6:35 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 14, 2021, 6:44 am
It would seem that as usual the Military in Myanmar ( Burma) are following the age old play book, , now resorting to shooting and killing their own unarmed protesters sitting down.
As I said from the beginning this is NOT going to end nicely, and unlike decades ago the World has no appeti9te for these types of actions , what will happen is anyone's guess, but I suspect it is not going to be pretty.
Short of a UN or foreign military intervention, the Myanmar army will do what it damned well pleases. Don't hold your breath waiting for intervention. The vague option (less than .05%) is for India to do so to stick it up China.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 16, 2021, 10:56 pm

Maybe the US's "pivot" in SE Asia is about to have a new pivot point?

The holdouts at the recent UN Security Council statement on Myanmar were (predictably) Russia and China but, more worryingly, Vietnam sat on their hands as well.

"... But to get their condemnation on the boards, Western countries had to give a little. UN diplomats told CNN that China, Russia, and Vietnam objected to tougher language calling events "a coup" and in one draft forced the removal of language that would have threatened further action, potentially sanctions. ...China's UN Ambassador Ambassador Zhang Jun said after the statement's approval, "Now it's time for de-escalation. It's time for diplomacy. It's time for dialogue.

Diplomats favoring strong action may now have to wait before trying again on sanctions or an arms embargo against Myanmar's military. That would take a vote on a resolution.

And you don't want to see that sausage being made."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/10/worl ... index.html

So Ambassador Zhang, what evidence have you seen of the Myanmar junta de-escalating, being diplomatic and requesting dialog?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 17, 2021, 7:02 am

China is doing in Myanmar what it has done in Cambodia and Laos, sneakily seeking to assist and control as a means to enlarge its land base to accommodate its burgeoning population . Would not trust them at all as they used to say in old movies but now witha different slant. Chinaman speak with forked tongue.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 17, 2021, 7:46 am

I have no doubt that China would love to have Air and Navy bases in Myanmar, maybe even a missile base or two. A significant bully boy threat against India would be front of mind in China
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 17, 2021, 8:17 am

As of May 2019 China had ONE overseas Military base.

Unlike USA that has "We learned that the United States has approximately 800 formal military bases in 80 countries, a number that could exceed 1,000 if you count troops stationed at embassies and missions and so-called “lily-pond” bases, with some 138,000 soldiers stationed around the globe."

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 17, 2021, 9:37 am

Doodoo wrote:
March 17, 2021, 8:17 am

Unlike USA that has "We learned that the United States has approximately 800 formal military bases in 80 countries, a number that could exceed 1,000 if you count troops stationed at embassies and missions and so-called “lily-pond” bases, with some 138,000 soldiers stationed around the globe."
You've been watching Pilger again haven't you?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 17, 2021, 12:02 pm

Doodoo wrote:
That's nearly 2 years ago.

There has been a lot happening in the South China Sea since then.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 17, 2021, 12:44 pm

Officially they already have one in Myanmar, one in Argentina, one in Djibouti and one in Tajikistan.

Unofficially they have expanded by stealth. The South China Sea, Cambodia and strong presence in PNG, many other places in the Pacific and Africa. They control two major ports in Australia and Buddha knows how many belt and road projects have a quasi military presence.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 17, 2021, 2:59 pm

Jack What bases are in teh South China Sea how many?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 17, 2021, 3:00 pm

Thats a bit short if the USA at 800 and they have 4

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 17, 2021, 3:53 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 17, 2021, 2:59 pm
Jack What bases are in teh South China Sea how many?
At least three, apparently.

https://news.usni.org/2020/06/03/new-ai ... -china-sea

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 18, 2021, 6:33 am

The junta, having had access to state assets held in overseas banks frozen are now on a money grab domestically. However, this bank account in particular doesn't distract anyone from hearing and seeing what the Tatmadaw's snipers are doing each day.

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/my ... ation.html

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 18, 2021, 6:49 am

Doodoo wrote:

It's pad, lilly-PAD bases.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 18, 2021, 7:58 am

Thanks Mr Conlin

(Grade 12 English)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 18, 2021, 12:08 pm

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » March 18, 2021, 12:17 pm

tamada wrote:
March 18, 2021, 6:49 am
Doodoo wrote:

It's pad, lilly-PAD bases.
or even lily-pad BASES

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 28, 2021, 12:10 am

On its national day, the Tatmada goes on a killing spree in various parts of the country: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/myanmar-p ... -1.5966846
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 28, 2021, 10:44 am

^ Par for the course. I recall reading that the CDM (Civil Disobedience Movement) were largely going to disappear from view while the Tatmadaw did their grand show on Armed Forces Day (note: this wasn't Myanmar's National Day). They hoped that a very public lack of flag-waving would further show to the free world that there is no support for their murderous junta. However, it does seem that the Tatmadaw did go forth and seek vvictims in their big day, including making public warnings that protesters will he "shot in the head and in the back." Shameless.

Earlier it was suggested that the Tatmadaw uses ethnic army factions to kill their own people. For example non-Bamar soldiers trucked in and shooting at Bamars. Seems like an impossible juggling act given the broad, national discontent and deep mixing pot of ethnicities. The Tatmadaw is more like a cult that wishes to reign supreme over the disparate Union. Some recent stories indicate that the larger, organised, separatist armies like the Shan and Kachin won't sit idly by while the Tatmadaw picks off victims across all the nation's ethnic groups.

Return to “World News”