Post by tamada » June 25, 2020, 9:52 am

^ Where's Kalifornia?

Udon Map
Admin

Re: America coming apart at the seams?

Post by Udon Map » June 25, 2020, 10:40 am

glalt wrote:
June 25, 2020, 8:47 am
Before that I lived in Downey, Kalifornia. That was a safe area. There were snipers sitting on top of buildings. Who were the snipers? Mexicans, that's who. They got tired of no police protection and defended themselves. No one complained.

As a side note, they didn't shoot people but there were a number of cars with bullet holes in them. Burglars and muggers were not safe. They soon learned to avoid Downey.
Reminds me of the North End (Italian section) in Boston. There's very little crime there. When I was a teen, there was none. Why? The residents and local shopowners don't allow it. Commit a crime in the North End, particularly a violent crime, and you'd much rather be arrested by the police than caught by the locals.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 25, 2020, 12:49 pm

I spent many evenings around Boston's Combat Zone, never had a problem. If anybody looked at me as if asking for trouble, I would go over and introduce myself. I think having a British/Australian accent helped. Had a lot of fun with some tough looking guys who were really nice blokes when they opened up.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 25, 2020, 2:19 pm

Today’s Rant for want of a better word.

I would rather live in an Environment /Society with a strong Police enforcement system, even if a small percentage of individuals within it do not abide by the Rule of Law. Why, because I obey the law, I do not commit crimes and so I have very little to fear from the presence of the Police, when going about my daily life. =D>

I would rather live in an Country that has an combination of, monarchy and semi autocratic leadership system and not one with a Bulls...t so called Democratic Government system - one that is often led or manipulated by “Idealists” dreaming of a Utopian world, spouting Liberalism views for all, when in fact most times it is liberalism for themselves at the expense of Others.

My view is that "Liberalists", will never succeed with finding Utopia on Planet earth or even a large part of it, because for the majority their views relate to minority issues, and many main stream people don't relate to them or care about them, as far as daily life is concerned. Most people are concerned with job security and earning an income these days. Sorry to say that not all people hold the same views or have the same priorities in the daily lives and not all people ever will. Its a fact. :-k :-k

We are also Humans (most of us) and we are also Individuals by nature. This is how we are designed. We are not made/born to be "Collective thinkers", like a herd of Buffalo, so us Humans will always think and go their own way. Our form of reasoning is more complex that other species, (at least those species on this Planet), so our views will always Differ. This is not being Negative, this is being a “Realist”.

Example: Take a country like India, which some tout as the largest or one of the most populous democratic country systems, in the World (stated to be a federal parliamentary democratic republic). It still retains a Caste system and you can see it in the culture between Indian people in everyday life, despite having been abolished on paper under their Constitution some 70 years ago. The caste system remains entrenched in the Indian way of thinking and no piece of paper will ever remove it from their way of life any time soon. I doubt the Liberalists will succeed in changing this one. =; :-s :-s

I am fortunate enough live in a country made up of many different ethnic groups, from all walks of life, and yes we all live to a variety of different living standards. Some very Opulent and some Penurious (had to look this one up), but in main we all live in relative safety. I say "in relative safety" because, it depends on what you do each day. From my point it is an absolutely safe environment,
1. I can park my car, leave the keys in it, go shopping and it will still be their when I come back
2. I can sleep with my from door unlocked and no one will enter my house
3. Children are safe and can play in the home, playgrounds etc, without fear
4. I have never seen a physical assault or bar fight, in any place/venue in the last 16 years

As to the Crime here, the overall rate is very low and violent crimes are extremely rare, except within certain isolated demographic groups, most likely due to culture reasons and an inability to comprehend the Rule of Law, where they are. For that little crime that does exist, I attribute this to the fact that certain cultural groups were brought up in their respective countries, without the benefit of the Rule of Law or without one that was enforced, for whatever reason. Either way, I don't think they comprehend what it is. :-s :-s

For the vast majority of people, going about their daily lives, they can do this with peace of mind, knowing that them and their families, can go anywhere in the City or Country and not have to worry about personal safety, from any other individual. Try saying that in other places, regardless of what system of government they might have. And yes you may sacrifice a few so call personal freedoms, but from my perspective, the balance is well in my favor. Guess what, the Country also retains the Death Penalty, for certain capital crimes.

What next after this, I will move from the above, to a country that has a form of authoritarian leadership arguably via a one party system with a touch of democracy thrown in for good luck, and guess what - a country that also still retains the Death Penalty. \:D/ \:D/ =D>

Each person makes his own choices in life, what they they do, where they choose to work, how they wish to live and who they wish to interact with. Granted, some have more (better) choice options that others. Not all disadvantaged people revert to crime, just some. The vast majority of people whether they have moderate means or wealth, do not revert to crime.

Bottom line, you need a strong Police force and an independent/unbiased Rule of Law system that is enforced for All, but if you can't have both, at least have one, even if it has faults. :-k :-k

pipoz444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on June 25, 2020, 4:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » June 25, 2020, 2:42 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
June 25, 2020, 2:19 pm
Today’s Rant for want of a better word.

I would rather live in an Environment /Society with a strong Police enforcement system, even if a small percentage of individuals within it do not abide by the Rule of Law. Why, because I obey the law, I do not commit crimes and so I have very little to fear from the presence of the Police, when going about my daily life. =D>

I would rather live in an Country that has an combination of, monarchy and semi autocratic leadership system and not one with a Bulls...t so called Democratic Government system - one that is often led or manipulated by “Idealists” dreaming of a Utopian world, spouting Liberalism views for all, when in fact most times it is liberalism for themselves at the expense of Others.

My view is that "Liberalists", will never succeed with finding Utopia on Planet earth or even a large part of it, because for the majority their views relate to minority issues, and many main stream people don't relate to them or care about them, as far as daily life is concerned. Most people are concerned with job security and earning an income these days. Sorry to say that not all people hold the same views or have the same priorities in the daily lives and not all people ever will. Its a fact. :-k :-k

We are also Humans (most of us) and we are also Individuals by nature. This is how we are designed. We are are not made/born to be "Collective thinkers", like a herd of Buffalo, so us Humans will always think and go their own way. Our form of reasoning is more complex that other species, (at least those species on this Planet), so our views will always Differ. this is not being Negative, this is being a “Realist”.

Example: Take a country like India, which some tout as the largest or one of the democratic country systems in the World (stated to be a federal parliamentary democratic republic). It still retains a Caste system and you can see it in the culture between Indian people in everyday life, despite having been abolished on paper under their Constitution some 70 years ago. The caste system remains entrenched in the Indian way of thinking and no piece of paper will ever remove it from their way of life any time soon. I doubt the Liberalists will succeed in changing this one. =; :-s :-s

I am fortunate enough live in a country made up of many different ethnic groups, from all walks of life, and yes we all live to a variety of different living standards. Some very Opulent and some penurious (had to look this one up), but in main we all live in relative safety. I say "in relative safety" because, it depend on what you do each day. From my point it is an absolutely safe environment,
1. I can park my car, leave the keys in it, go shopping and it will still be their when I come back
2. I can sleep with my from door unlocked and no one will enter my house
3. Children are safe and can play in the home, playgrounds etc, without fear
4. I have never seen a physical assault or bar fight, in any place/venue in the last 16 years

As to the Crime here, the overall rate is very low and violent crimes are extremely rare, except within certain isolated demographic groups, most likely due to culture reasons and an inability to comprehend the Rule of Law, where they are. For that little crime that does exist, I attribute this to the fact that certain cultural groups were brought up in their respective countries, without the benefit of the Rule of Law or without one that was enforced, for whatever reason. Either way, I don't think they comprehend what it is. :-s :-s

For the vast majority of people, going about their daily lives, they can do this with peace of mind, knowing that them and their families, can go anywhere in the City or Country and not have to worry about personal safety, from any other individual. Try saying that in other places, regardless of what system of government they might have. And yes you may sacrifice a few so call personal freedoms, but from my perspective, the balance is well in my favor. Guess what, the Country also retains the Death Penalty, for certain capital crimes.

What next after this, I will move from the above, to a country that has a form of authoritarian leadership arguably via a one party system with a touch of democracy thrown in for good luck, and guess what - a country that also still retains the death penalty. \:D/ \:D/ =D>

Each person makes his own choices in life, what they they do, where they choose to work, how they wish to live and who they wish to interact with. Granted, some have more (better) choice options that others. Not all disadvantaged people revert to crime, just some. The vast majority of people whether they have moderate means or wealth, do not revert to crime.

Bottom line, you need a strong Police force and an independent/unbiased Rule of Law system that is enforced for All, but if you can have both, at least have one, even it it has faults. :-k :-k

pipoz444
Great read Pipoz!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 25, 2020, 4:26 pm

Pip,

Would you think the same if you were a poor Thai farmer? Growing cassava, sugar cane, rice or rubber and having Thai elites that own the processing factories pay you a pittance while they make massive profits. Where monopolies dominate almost all commerce, with these monopolies being protected with outrageous laws to prevent any competition. Look at the alcohol sector in Thailand, 90% of the entire industry owned by one family and protected by laws that effectively ban any new competition. Just one example of many.

67% of the nation's wealth is owned by 1% of the population. Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2018 found that Thailand is the most unequal nation in the world based on divisions between rich and poor.

Would you think the same if you were a Thai politician wanting better things for their country, only to see their parties and leaders banned on the flimsiest grounds?

Fine for us farangs with reasonable incomes, but a very different situation for the majority of the Thai people.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 25, 2020, 4:59 pm

<< Bottom line, you need a strong Police force and an independent/unbiased Rule of Law system that is enforced for All, but if you can have both, at least have one, even it it has faults. >> Please stop this BS, this Yankee's propaganda..
Independant/unbiased law in the USA, you must be joking. 55555. Worst that this country.
The - rule of law - is just a code word designed by the USA and Allies to mean MY LAW, ( OUR LAW) as opposed to any other law. Come on open your eyes and see the world, the USA' decline is accelerating .... and THAT'S a good thing.
Have a safe pleasant evening.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 25, 2020, 5:05 pm

the-monk wrote:
June 25, 2020, 4:59 pm
<< Bottom line, you need a strong Police force and an independent/unbiased Rule of Law system that is enforced for All, but if you can have both, at least have one, even it it has faults. >> Please stop this BS, this Yankee's propaganda..
Independant/unbiased law in the USA, you must be joking. 55555. Worst that this country.
The - rule of law - is just a code word designed by the USA and Allies to mean MY LAW, ( OUR LAW) as opposed to any other law. Come on open your eyes and see the world, the USA' decline is accelerating .... and THAT'S a good thing.
Have a safe pleasant evening.
Typo correction: I mean't to say " ...if you can't have both .............." and I am not a Y................You must be from France or Brussels [-X

As for seeing the World, I will guarantee I have seen a lot more of it that you ever have or will. :lol: :lol:

PS. Its still lunchtime where I am. [-(

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on June 25, 2020, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 25, 2020, 5:33 pm

Enjoy your lunch.... BTW USA has neither ( no strong independant police force NO independant/unbiased rule of law )
FYI i am from UDON.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 25, 2020, 5:56 pm

The vast majority of us are law abiding people and have no fear of the police. If for some reason we encounter the police, we are polite and if not showing respect we at least are civil. People who try to run away or fight just show how incredibly stupid they are.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 25, 2020, 6:03 pm

you cant have both? You have to be kidding.

Many civilized nations, while not perfect do have both to a very large extent. Most countries in Western Europe, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, are examples, all rank well for lack of corruption and are considered to have an independent judiciary.

Poverty and inequality breed corruption, wealthier nations move up Maslow's Triangle. If Thailand does not address the inequalities that currently exist, people will only need a single spark to react.

BLM was a prime example of pent up frustrations boiling over. George Floyd was not a good guy by any stretch, but his murder lit the fuse to a powder keg.

Think about it over your lunch.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 25, 2020, 6:10 pm

glalt wrote:
June 25, 2020, 5:56 pm
The vast majority of us are law abiding people and have no fear of the police. If for some reason we encounter the police, we are polite and if not showing respect we at least are civil. People who try to run away or fight just show how incredibly stupid they are.
glalt, ever been to Mexico?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 25, 2020, 6:14 pm

Canada dropped from ninth place to 12th on “perceived levels of public sector corruption,” behind Denmark, New Zealand, Finland, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg and Iceland. The United States ranked 23rd. China was 80th.
https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2019

Have a look
The basis for corruption is always MONEY

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 25, 2020, 6:24 pm

Doodoo,

12th out of around 200? What a typical smart arsed oppositional statement, trying to point out how clever you are? 9th to 12th, shock horror!

So you need to google to make such a pointless remark
Last edited by Whistler on June 25, 2020, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 25, 2020, 6:27 pm

No need to rude I just posted some info for others to read
Why are being such a _____________ you can insert the appropriate word(s) here

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 25, 2020, 6:30 pm

Doodoo,

You quite obviously went looking to make a comment showing how clever you think you are. If Canada ranks 12th in the world, they have a low level of corruption, your comments are pointless but simply show you like being a smartar$e

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 25, 2020, 6:43 pm

If anybody wants to verify doodoo's great insights, go back to March when he categorized the COVID 19 threat.

"The Year and the Threat of Dying

2000 Y2K will get us all Panic buying
2001 Anthrax will kill us all
2002 West Nile Virus will do us all in
2003 SARS will kill us all
2005 Bird Flu Guess What
2006 ECOLI Yeap you guessed it
2008 The economy is BAD
2009 Swine Flu Oink Oink
2010 BP the oil release will get us all
2012 The Mayan Calendar All is coming to an end
2013 North Korea is a Threat to us all
2014 Ebola watch out
2015 Disney Measles and ISIS are on the attack
2016 Zika Virus
2019 Corona Virus is out to get us
2020 The most deadly of them all Media/TV/News/Internet Viruses spreading like wild fires to kill us all Solution turn them off"

A totally brilliant observation....not

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 26, 2020, 8:57 am

Whistler wrote:
June 25, 2020, 6:10 pm
glalt wrote:
As a matter of fact, I have been to Mexico many times. Fortunately I never had to deal with the Mexican police. That said, what does Mexico have to do with this thread?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 26, 2020, 9:51 am

glalt wrote:
June 26, 2020, 8:57 am
Whistler wrote:
June 25, 2020, 6:10 pm
glalt wrote:
As a matter of fact, I have been to Mexico many times. Fortunately I never had to deal with the Mexican police. That said, what does Mexico have to do with this thread?
What it means is that you do have to fear the police in some places. There are some places in the world, including some towns in America where minorities fear the police with very good cause. I think it is slowly getting better, but vividly remember a black guy being shot in Texas when I lived in Austin, it was in a small town near the Louisiana border. Local people on the jury said they were to afraid too find the cop guilty as they had to live in that town.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 26, 2020, 10:37 am

"Local people on the jury said they were to afraid too find the cop guilty as they had to live in that town"

In the Heat of the Night, Mississippi Burning Is it being said that freedom of speech in the US never was and never will be? Democracy is a bill of goods being sold. "Land of the Free", "Home of the Brave"?

The US represents more and more "I have a Condo project for you to invest in in Pattaya"

Return to “World News”